PDA

View Full Version : Do you really care about the prestige of being a business owner at all?

Ted
03-30-2013, 10:29 AM
I think it is funny that sometimes when my friends introduce me to someone they will say that I own a company. They are obviously looking at it like it is some kind of prestigious position in life. It is kind of like they are saying “Hey my friend Ted is this big time business guy.”

I think it is funny and I sometimes wish they wouldn't do that. I never introduce myself that way. I never even volunteer the fact that I own my own business unless someone specifically asks me about it. When someone asks me what I do for a living, I tell them I am an IT guy. That is it.

I introduce myself as a regular IT guy because I don’t want to go through the typical 20 questions about “How’s business?” “Tell me all about your business.” “Are you worried about the economy?” “Yadda yadda yahha”.

When talking with a person who has just recently started a business, sometimes I get this sense that they think they are now part of this special fraternity of elite people. I find that humorous because I don’t place fellow business owners on any kind of pedestal. To some extent, I do admire the ones who were able to build a successful business from scratch and had it survive past the five year mark because I know how hard that is to do. But, I don’t put them on a pedestal as being exemplary citizens or something like that. I find it humorous that some other people look at us that way.

We are still regular people, maybe more ambitious than the average person, who chose to take action on our dreams. Other than that, we are normal people with all the same character flaws as everyone else.

So, I purposefully try to avoid telling strangers that I am a business owner unless of course I am talking to another business owner or unless the situation would benefit me somehow by revealing that fact.
In my opinion, the whole ego thing behind being a business owner is silly and pretty immature. I chuckle silently inside when I see someone gloating about it.

What about you? Do you care at all about the prestige and ego boost that other people award you for being a business owner?

Harold Mansfield
03-30-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't either. And I had more "prestige" when I was a bartender.

I too try to avoid the exact same things for the exact same reasons. It's even worse when they find out that you do anything on a computer or online.

For some reason they always feel the need to give you marketing advice and then you get into this whole thing trying to explain to them that merely "getting on Facebook" is not some kind of miracle marketing solution that makes everyone instantly rich...or that You Tube wasn't 2 part time guys bootstrapping in a garage who got paid $800 million just because they had a good idea.

Or they corner you about their antiquated idea with which "we" could make some money and you waste 20 minutes trying to politely tell them what decade we are in and that they should actually use the internet before pitching ideas on what would "make a million dollars" on it.

I always downplay working for myself, and anytime anyone tries to romanticize it with the obligatory "It must be great working for yourself, and getting up when you want to and doing whatever you want", I always fire back with "It's not like the credit card commercials where all of the business owners are playing ping pong in the office, dressed well, and have fancy NY loft offices where everyone is doing all of their business on tablets. It's actually hard work."

I do like talking to other business owners. By that I mean people who have actually started or are serious and are going through the steps. That is totally different. They get it.

I also always get a chuckle out of people who title themselves "CEO" of their one person, home based company. It's just cute. "CEO"...Chief Executive Officer, implies that there are other Executive Officers that are below you. If that's how you have to do it on your LLC paperwork, then so be it. But when it's just you, handing out business cards that say "Lead..", "Head..", "President" or "CEO" is a bit much. Personally, I think having no title and just being directly associated with being in charge of everything says far more.

But as much as I complain about it, it's still pretty damn cool that I work for myself, have a home office, and that my computer is my production, design, accounting, marketing and communications center and I know how to run it all in my sleep.

Freelancier
03-30-2013, 12:39 PM
I introduce myself as a regular IT guy because I don’t want to go through the typical 20 questions about “How’s business?”

I don't even tell people I do IT, because I don't want them to tell me about the problems they're having with their PC. :D

Haven't you heard? We're the reason there's all those tax breaks in the tax code (for GE). It was all about us! We're the "engine" that drives the economy! Politicians love us! Well, ok, maybe not us. Maybe it was another "us".

I'm just glad I'm not an actor. Who wants to go around getting recognized all the time for being someone else?

As to the actual topic, I don't worry about it either way. I love to talk about our businesses, because they're fun to talk about and maybe by talking about them, I can make another sale.

I'm just glad that I've been "creatively unemployed" now for over 20 years. I watch people I know and love struggle with the whole "middle management" situation and I wouldn't wish that on my enemies.

Dan Furman
03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Oh wow, you're a writer?! That must be the best life. Plus, writers make tons of money, right?

billbenson
03-31-2013, 11:19 PM
I always find it amusing when I get emails for a quote or order and the signature in the email says 'owner'. To me that screams small business and I may want to be careful in giving them terms.

I use manager when a title is required.

tallen
04-01-2013, 11:22 AM
haha, "Treasurer & CFO" here...

nealrm
04-01-2013, 12:20 PM
It is getting a little old. The paparazzi camped out in front, constant calls from celibacy talk show hosts, women throwing themselves at me....

Joking aside. I do take pride in what I created and the work I do. I neither flaunt or hide that I am the owner. If someone ask, I tell them my wife and I own the HouseViewOnline website. I enjoy what I do, so talking about it is enjoyable. Plus it is usually easy to steer the conversation away from me by asking them about their work.

BNB
04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I generally shy away from telling people I know anything about computers. When I did computer related business, it could be a nightmare. I didn't mind helping some people, especially the ones who paid, but I got sick of the random calls for computer help from anyone and everyone you talk to. I think you guys are just in a business where that makes it more "annoying" to discuss your business.

With my business now, I have no problem talking about it with people and generally quite enjoy it. As business has grown, I've met a lot more successful people and find that talking about business and networking can be very productive. My "job" is to talk about my business and sell myself and my products.

It is "nice" having your own business. But there are trade offs. Yes, I can come in when I want and leave when I want, but I find myself working pretty standard (long) hours daily anyways. But let's not downplay how nice it is not having an official schedule. Is it worth the added stress? I think so. But unless someone owns a business and has a bunch of employees/families to be responsible for, than that stress is not something anyone would understand. Ultimately, it's all worth it - and making sure everyone is taken care of tends to be a major motivating factor for me.

Even with 16+ employees, I still don't call myself the "CEO" or even "President". I've always seen that as not really my style. My official title at the office is "General Manager" - which suits me well.

broudie
04-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Depending on the audience, I use "CEO" (when communicating with bigger businesses), "Owner" (when communicating with customers). "General Manager" sounds like a nice place in between.

Contrary to most of the posts here, I do think that small business owners are part of a "special fraternity". When people think you're raking in millions of $$$ for running an operation in your spare bedroom, that's amusing.

Harold Mansfield
04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Contrary to most of the posts here, I do think that small business owners are part of a "special fraternity". When people think you're raking in millions of $$$ for running an operation in your spare bedroom, that's amusing.

I agree with the "fraternity" thing, but it is a closed society.

huggytree
04-05-2013, 02:12 PM
i try to hide the fact that im a business owner....i never bring it up unless someone else asks me about it

i hide my success from everyone i know (just hid my car collection 2 hours ago from a customer)