PDA

View Full Version : lawyer in your pocket

huggytree
01-10-2009, 11:01 AM
i just signed up today for 'prepaid legal services' who's motto is 'have a lawyer in your pocket'

anyone have any experience with this company?...its everywhere

$27 per month and i get unlimited legal letters, free will/power of attorney/ 50 hours of legal defense, and credit monitoring(identity theft) for me the the wife...

i am friends with the salesman and he finally talked me into it...i wonder if because im a small business owner if my social security # is more at risk?
also i have a remodeler who will be getting a legal threat letter soon....

for $333 a year it sounds like a good deal. i paid for it through the business, so tax free also.

Steve B
01-10-2009, 11:35 AM
How long did you have to commit?

This is like any other insurance. It will be a bargain if you use it a lot. Of course, they are banking on the fact that enough people won't need that much service and will be subsidizing those that do - plus their profit.

I'm lucky - my lawyer almost never charges me for the handful of times I call him with a question or to review a document. Either he's very nice, very forgetful, or he's banking on me turning into a huge company that will need lots of his services in the future. I think he's just a nice local lawyer. I've not spent $300 total in the last 5 years on legal fees.

Evan
01-10-2009, 02:33 PM
No, I haven't dealt with prepaid legal services. Not exactly sure how much that differs from services such as Nolo. With Nolo, you're not dealing with an attorney, but they provide you with the resources if you need them.

If you will have an attorney reviewing your legal paperwork, then great. But it also depends on his or her qualifications and years of experience. Then again, even with both, it doesn't mean they are a "good attorney". I stopped counting the law professors I've had which I wouldn't even trust arguing a $25 parking ticket on my behalf.

Then again, there are CPAs who I'd never trust to do my tax return either. But we're not talking about that here :D

huggytree
01-10-2009, 05:28 PM
i dont think there is a commitment time.....i could have paid monthly and quit after a month...there was a 1 time $10 paperwork fee....i gave him a years worth

75% of the reason was identity theft and 25% for legal letters.

when i get slow payers it a way i can send them a threatening letter from a lawyer for free.

i will probably use it a few times a year.....

Steve B
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
That sounds great if you don't have to sign a long contract. Even a year would be reasonable.

SteveC
01-10-2009, 09:13 PM
The quality of the lawyer is the most important thing... I would personally check that out, as the horly fee that my lawyer charges is more than your yearly fee... I have also heard that such schemes as this are sold via network marketing...

orion_joel
01-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I knew a guy about 3 or 4 years ago that was a partner in setting up a legal services site that had basically fill in the blank legal letters, which had been created by a lawyer, and were looked over by a lawyer before being sent. They were planning to sell it is a subscription service or i think also do single sale letters, at lower prices then regular lawyers, however i do not recall they ever managed to make it really work out in the end.

I think there is something to say about the saving money is not always the ideal solution. Maybe if you are sending form letters, it is not such a bad idea, but i do not know that i would really be overally excited about being represented by a lawyer charging potentially less then $30, for 50 hours of legal defense, as if you signed up for only 1 month and need this? Kind of not the sort of representation that i would like.

IDsaver
01-11-2009, 03:33 AM
I may be a little biased by using the services for almost 25 years, however I think you made a wise decision and how you will keep it for life.

Some have posted that your decision might not be that wise. However, that is based, as they admit, with NO KNOWLEDGE or experience with the company or the membership.

On the other hand, I'm pointing out the positive points based upon almost 25 years experience of having the PROTECTION and USING IT.

SOME HEALTH CLUBS, cell phone services,
and other companies with many problems
try to keep you as customers by 1, 2, or 3 year contracts.
Pre-Paid Legal Services Inc. (PPLSI) has over 1.5 million
business and family members and NO CONTRACTS
to lock them into a long membership!!!

You're right, there are NO CONTRACTS for you to keep it. There are over 1.5 million members, both business and family memberships who see the value and protection is FAR GREATER than the monthly ... or if they choose annual premium. If you do NOT agree, then contact the person who enrolled you.

Then you can send a cancellation request and it will be cancels on the same date next month, and the unused months REFUNDED to you.

Some use it like a gym membership which might be daily or weekly, or like some very seldom.

It's also like a spare tire in your car. When you have a flat or blowout, then the spare becomes the MOST VALUABLE tire of the 5 tires.

Some might say that it's better to have it and NOT use it ...
than need it and NOT have it.

However, I believe that that's not completely right.

THE HUGE POWER of Pre-Paid Legal Services and the MOST USED benefit is PREVENTABLE legal advice.
It helps keep a legal QUESTION, from turning into a legal PROBLEM or CRISIS.

In most states, your Pre-Paid Legal Services will also DEFEND you against MOVING traffic tickets (even CRIMINAL CHARGES like negligent vehicular homicide or N.V. manslaughter), civil lawsuits and certain JOB-RELATED criminal charges (unless you're a bank robber like Bonnie and Clyde), and IRS PERSONAL audits.

Benefits may vary in some states, and the legal plan is NOT available yet in Alaska. The Identity Theft Shield is available in all 50 states.

A Pre-Paid Legal Services membership IS CONSIDERED INSURANCE IN 15 STATES.

However, it's designed as a MEMBERSHIP and considered that in the other 35 states.

It differs in many important ways from insurance.
With health insurance get a quote to cover you,
then ask how much it costs to add your spouse.
Next ask how much to add each child.
With a PPLSI family membership,
your premium does NOT increase as you add covered-family members.

If you wreck your car,
try getting it covered for a PRE-existing condition of your car insurance
with a new company.

With a PPLSI family membership,
it's covered with legal advice under your PREVENTATIVE legal advice benefit,
and also the 25% discount if necessary.

With your health insurance,
it's NOT a question of when your rates will go up,
it's HOW MUCH THEY WILL GO UP EVERY YEAR !!!

With your PPLSI family membership,
you do NOT have to worry about rate increases.
PPLSI has never raise the monthly rates to their members.
That's a unmatched history of NO RATE increases
since they started over 35 years ago in 1972 !!!

If you have too many claims with other insurance,
then you might have your insurance canceled or a BIG RATE INCREASE.
With you PPLSI membership,
you don't have to worry about being canceled due to using it too often.

You also don't have to worry about your age, zip code, credit score or record,
or current or past legal problem history,
... causing you to be declined for a membership
or charged MUCH HIGHER RATES.

With INSURANCE,
the LARGE print GIVETH,
and the FINE print TAKETH AWAY by a CONTRACT
that is written by LAWYERS to stack the benefits
AGAINST you and LIMIT or DENY your claims.

When your insurance ADJUSTER and company treats you unfairly,
will the insurance company help you with LEGAL ADVICE and REPRESENTATION,
as part of your monthly insurance premium ???

In many states, you can add the LEGAL SHIELD
that gives you 24/7 EMERGENCY ACCESS to a lawyer if you are stopped,
questioned or arrested by police officer or security guard.

Try getting this EMERGENCY ACCESS from your car insurance company,
especially after 5 PM, weekends, or holidays.
It even gives you more benefits
under the LEGAL SHIELD, and family legal membership.

If it's a TRAGIC ACCIDENT,
then you'll VITALLY need IMMEDIATE advice from YOU LAWYER !!!

NO matter how much you pay for car insurance,
they will NOT pay EVEN ONE PENNY
for your legal defense against CRIMINAL CHARGES.

There car be a SERIOUS "CONFLICT OF INTEREST"
of having your insurance company pay for a lawyer,
if an accident results in a civil lawsuit.

Some companies other LEGAL coverage
that is actually INSURANCE.
In those cases,
LQQK OUT for LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS !!!
Pre-existing conditions might not be covered under advice, or a discount.
You might be missing valuable benefits by the really fine print.
If it's by PAYROLL-deduction in a cafeteria or "section 125" plan,
then you might be locked into the plan for 12 months
at a time with other "LEGAL INSURANCE."

With other LEGAL INSURANCE,
you might have insurance forms to get REIMBURSED ...
IF YOUR CLAIM IS APPROVED AS COVERED and NOT PRE-EXISTING.
You might have co-payments and other problems too.

You might NOT be covered for legal problems,
if they are for other states.
If you travel for business or pleasure,
then NOT being covered for all 50 states will NOT work.

If you have other legal INSURANCE,
then you might have to make many calls to find a lawyer to talk to.
Some will even charge you for long-distance costs to call you back !!!

As a PPLSI member,
you can call your provider law firm by your toll-free 800 number,
from anywhere in your state.
There is a call-direct number for when you are out of state.
There is a national 800 number for the Legal Shield calls.

I'll also admit that I found so many who want the coverage that I LOVE,
that I became an independent associate
to help other families get the coverage by answering their questions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
I can't answer them all, but I'll get the answers that you need.

Best wishes,

Joe

vangogh
01-11-2009, 10:06 AM
It should be noted that Joe above is associated with PPLSI and stands to make money should you choose to use them and so the above is not likely to to be an unbiased review from a customer. Had the above post been a thread starter it certainly would have been deleted as self promotional, but since it's in response to another post that mentioned the company we'll leave it.

When you search Google for PPLSI (http://www.google.com/search?q=PPLSI&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) the first two results point to pages at Rip-off Report (http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/182/RipOff0182971.htm)

Here's what I think is s very telling quote in one of the rip-off reports

First, the PPLSI agreement requires that you not give out any information about the provider law firm to a prospective enrollee until they have actually pruchased the plan. This may violate 'state and bar' regulations, and for whatever reason, it leads me to believe something about PPLSI is illegal or questionable at best. They also kindly request that you not contact any state insurance agency as it may ruin any 'good standing' they may have in that particular state. For whatever reason thay ask that, it would be good to know about it before you agree to be an associate and pay the fee.

Doesn't sound like a company I would want to do business with. Just a little bit of research makes it sound like some kind of MLM setup.

Saving money is often a good reason to buy something. On the other hand there are plenty of things where you're better off paying more for quality. An airline flight comes to mind. A doctor does too. Come to think of it so does a lawyer. Do you want to discover you skimped on the quality of your lawyer just when you need one most?

Having not used the service I can't tell you one way or another whether it's a good service. However I would encourage anyone to do a little research before signing up with PPSLI. At first glance it looks like a scheme more than a helpful service. Admittedly my glance was a short one, but if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

seolman
01-13-2009, 01:36 AM
admittedly my glance was a short one, but if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

quaaaaaaaack

huggytree
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
i will try it for 1 year and see how much i use it...ive known the salesman for 2 years (he's in my BNI group) and he's not a con man......its a good deal if you use it a few times a year...the whole reason i joined when i did was because of a problem payer...i just got paid and dont need the legal threat anymore....so it may be a while before i use the free lawyer threat letters.

phanio
01-17-2009, 04:58 PM
I have an old friend (real estate broker - one person office) that signed up for a similar service from a respected member of the community. Few months later he told me that it was a rip-off. I do not know the details nor did I ask. Just figured it was something I would not use.

Would be nice if it was legit - can't wait to here your experience over the next year - please keep us poted.