PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Marketing

CiteAds.com
03-23-2013, 02:05 AM
It seems Facebook has pushed the majority of local businesses to now advertise online through social media. Is FB really generating new clients? Is social marketing really worth the time and effort for busy small business owners?

Freelancier
03-23-2013, 07:18 AM
It seems Facebook has pushed the majority of local businesses to now advertise online through social media.

I'm not sure this is a true statement. Most of my best potential clients would never look for me on Facebook... or even LinkedIn or Twitter or any of the other social media sites. They use a search engine -- primarily Google -- to find me.

Now if I was a business looking to find consumers, I might look to FB, Twitter, etc. to keep in touch with my potential clients, but B2B companies don't really do that at this point, because their customers aren't out using social media to look for them.

CiteAds.com
03-23-2013, 12:35 PM
I could have gone in depth to back up that statement a little more. My intention was to quickly point out that small businesses are using FB now to promote things like sales, special offers, events etc. Google is the top dog for a directory listing. Where do your customers go to find the things you promote? FB seems like the place where customers would go, but FB was never intended for this. I know I can search FB to find deals, I don't, its not efficient, its not why I'm there.

Even if it does work. Is it innovative enough? Social media is a lot of work for a small business. I am talking about your 1-5 person team. So many small businesses are NOT online because it's time consuming and confusing, period. Over 36 million small businesses in the US alone, a Google listing and brain washed to spend all your time on a social media is what business owners have to advertise for free?

Bestnes
03-24-2013, 06:31 AM
guys,you need to know first how to target and what to target there) you know that story..."if you dont know where you are going, then you going probably nowhere"

Bestnes
03-24-2013, 06:35 AM
i am interested...how many clients you getting that way?...all nation on Facebook/LinkedIn and other social networking media))) I start working with my site optimization, from Facebook and LinkedIn(only) I have dayly around 40 visits...of course, it is not too many as professionals SEO experts have, but...(to Freelancier)

Harold Mansfield
03-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Is FB really generating new clients?
That's the $64,000 question.
I've seen my own clients use FB Advertising to build page likes and it works. I've seen a couple go from a few followers to 5k and up, spending about $40-$100 a day for few months.
But do page likes equate into actual paying clients? Depends on who you ask.

For every report and article I've read about Facebook increasing user engagement with your brand, I've also read just as many that say that most businesses have no idea what they are doing, don't have any kind of plan, and are merely focused on numbers and trying to create viral content, and not on promoting thier brand and giving users something of substance besides 3rd grade level "Like this picture if you're glad it's Friday" kind of posts.

For one client in particular, they now have the numbers, but they have no plan in place to turn those followers into customers and get them to engage with the brand ( and they aren't listening to me).

Is social marketing really worth the time and effort for busy small business owners?
Only if they are going to put the time in, come up with a real plan that has measurable goals and benchmarks. Many people still treat Facebook like the web, that merely being there will miraculously equate into new business. But then again nothing online is worth doing if you aren't going to put the time in to learn, test, and commit to making it work.

KristineS
03-26-2013, 02:48 PM
We've used Facebook ads to promote samples and sales in the past. The response has been quite good. We know, because we track, that some of those people who requested samples have become customers. Facebook also allowed us to target specific groups, which has helped our click through rates. We tried Facebook advertising as a test and, for us anyway, it worked. Can't say it would work universally, but it did for us.

patrickprecisione
03-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Is Facebook worth it?

It really depends on the business. I've worked for a few different companies where it absolutely made sense to be active on FB. For my current gig, a printed envelopes company, I'm not so sure Facebook makes sense.

It's all going to depend on your audience and if your content makes sense for Facebook. The content part is up to you (I tend to think that it's possible to create an interesting and "share-worthy" perspective on any type of business, it just takes creativity). Think about who your audience is, and if they are even active on Facebook. If the answer is no, then perhaps another social network (or none at all) would make more sense.

ontrack
03-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Like everything else, if you don't have a plan, you won't get where you want to go. Marketing in general involves doing multiple things to generate momentum. Too often we want a direct one-on-one response i.e. to monetize our efforts right away. There are strategies to do that using eBooks, squeeze pages and the like but for most small business owners, Facebook and other social networking sites are an opportunity to connect, build credibility and even show a bit of who you are using images, quotes, etc. I wouldn't spend money on ads at this point so the investment is entirely "sweat equity." The key is to stay focused on your target. What are you trying to accomplish? Who do you want your posts to speak to? And then to limit yourself to say 15 minutes once or twice a day on social media.

SWAMP80
05-06-2013, 03:09 PM
It really depends on your type of business. Facebook isn't necessarily right for everyone and should be a part of a holistic digital marketing approach - don't put all your eggs in one basket, basically. You should think about your goals and consider which sites can help you achieve that - think about how people consume content on those sites and what they consume (i.e., Pinterest is popular for fashion, food and interior design, etc.). Then Google case studies about your industry and social media - read about best practices for your industry and what people have had success with. [Removed]

patrickprecisione
05-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Just because everyone has a Facebook page, it doesn't mean it's the best way for you to spend your time. If you can only work on one social network, make sure it's the one that works best for you. Also, make sure it's part of a larger marketing plan that involves several tactics and avenues.

patrickprecisione
05-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Facebook marketing for local business is very effective because through it we can get huge traffic.

Good point, Jenny. If you're looking to appeal to a local audience, then social media can be really helpful. You can start by being very active on several local FB group pages and things like that to get some good word of mouth.

dianecoleen
06-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Being interactive with the social media accounts you have is definitely a good plus. I say this because some business tend to forget that they are talking to people and not robots because of auto generated message. This can leverage your connection and might be an advantage to your business to stand out.

patrickprecisione
06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Being interactive with the social media accounts you have is definitely a good plus. I say this because some business tend to forget that they are talking to people and not robots because of auto generated message.

Exactly! Remember that social media is all about having a conversation. You're not just shouting a message at your audience.

Bainzy
06-20-2013, 11:12 AM
I spend $1000s on facebook, I wish I hadnt, even though I narrowed down my target audience as much as I could, I found that I got massive amounts of clicks but NO SALES !!!

Patrysha
06-20-2013, 06:01 PM
I spend $1000s on facebook, I wish I hadnt, even though I narrowed down my target audience as much as I could, I found that I got massive amounts of clicks but NO SALES !!!

Clicks but no sales means the ads were working but your offer wasn't appealing to those who clicked on the ad...that's not the fault of the media that got them there. Did you try to capture their contact information?? You can't expect instant sales from Facebook. It's social media NOT an advertising platform!!

greenoak
06-25-2013, 08:28 PM
fACEBOOK can be great for some businesses .... like mine...I sell furniture and etc to women home owners who love fixing up their homes.... they are already on facebook and our page fits them well.... we have grown to over 6000 fans without contests and very little advertizing.....lots of businesses in my world, brick and mortar retail, are very happy with facebook...it brings in lots of sales for us every week....the buyers especially like pictures of the incoming inventory...we wholesale also and I also reach other businesses thru my page.,,i post to my customers 2 times a day ... and try and have pictures or albums most of the time.... it really works for us...we still email once a month but facebook is the strongest marketing for us right now...

dianecoleen
06-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Every techniques has a trial and error part. By this time, you might have chosen a minimal/negative target audience or maybe gone wrong with your advertisement or the landing page for you to spend a bucks of dollars without getting a return. Study your target market, study your competitor, or perhaps optimize your advertisement from your ads to the landing page it self.

chrismarklee
06-29-2013, 03:09 PM
I used traditional marketing. I am now adding locals as friends. I do income taxes.

What can I share with my Facebook friends to promote my income tax business?
Can I share articles or tax cartoons? Is there any spam rules?

patrickprecisione
07-01-2013, 01:41 PM
What can I share with my Facebook friends to promote my income tax business?
Can I share articles or tax cartoons? Is there any spam rules?

Chris, That kind of stuff isn't spammy at all, and would probably be a good idea.

If you're looking to get in to social but unsure about content, here's the way I would look at it- Everyone has to get their taxes done (and no one wants to do it), and if they're looking for someone to do it for them, they probably want someone who seems genuine and knowledgeable but also someone they can relate. So in addition to posting stuff about taxes share stuff that reflects your personality. You probably work locally so talk about your favorite place for a beer after work. Or if the local baseball team has a good game, talk about it. I bet people would like to see you're not some boring, number crunching accountant.

KristineS
07-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Chris,

Have to agree with Patrick on this. First, make sure you're following strategically, which means you're following local people who would be in your target market. Don't forget to follow local businesses as well as they also have taxes that need to be done. Then make sure your feed or page is a mix of tax tips and items that showcase your knowledge and ability and general stuff that showcases that you're part of the community. Also make sure to reach out to those you follow. Like other people's pages and comments. Make sure you reply promptly should anyone make a comment or ask a question on your page. Social media is about community, so become part of the your local community on Facebook.

farrey
08-01-2013, 06:54 AM
I think Facebook captured a broad part of local marketing business.Facebook a big and better way for the interaction of customer and the marketer.The marketer can connect our customer easily. Facebook and other social networking sites are an opportunity to connect, build credibility and even show a bit of who you are using images!

websiteop
08-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Been a marketer/web developer for over ten years - Social media is a waste of money for small businesses to get new business from, it can work for customer service and awareness, but most SMB's don't have the time to develop SM channels because of the time and expense (length of time to see a ROI, if you see one at all) it takes and marketing dollars could be spent better elsewhere. It's worth it to have a blog to drive traffic to your website (depending on what you do.) and then push your blog posts out to your social media accounts automatically to have a presence (that takes no time because its automated, thats what I do - check my site), but Facebook does nothing for small businesses, its just hype from the media (Most of FB Ad revenue comes from big brands). Think about it, whens the last time you bought something from an Ad on facebook? Or called a plumber from there, or hired a lawyer on there?? Now big brands are a different story, with their massive marketing budgets they can use it to drive awareness/customer service. Are there SMB success stories? Sure, but very, very few. SMB marketing money is best spent on Search Engine Marketing and Offline marketing - I hope I helped you save some money.

chrismarklee
08-19-2013, 02:48 AM
I do income taxes. I have a personal web page. I have been adding friends by sending them a nice message to add me. I am now making comments and building relationships

KristineS
08-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Been a marketer/web developer for over ten years - Social media is a waste of money for small businesses to get new business from, it can work for customer service and awareness, but most SMB's don't have the time to develop SM channels because of the time and expense (length of time to see a ROI, if you see one at all) it takes and marketing dollars could be spent better elsewhere. It's worth it to have a blog to drive traffic to your website (depending on what you do.) and then push your blog posts out to your social media accounts automatically to have a presence (that takes no time because its automated, thats what I do - check my site), but Facebook does nothing for small businesses, its just hype from the media (Most of FB Ad revenue comes from big brands). Think about it, whens the last time you bought something from an Ad on facebook? Or called a plumber from there, or hired a lawyer on there?? Now big brands are a different story, with their massive marketing budgets they can use it to drive awareness/customer service. Are there SMB success stories? Sure, but very, very few. SMB marketing money is best spent on Search Engine Marketing and Offline marketing - I hope I helped you save some money.

Do not agree with this at all. Blanket statements like this tend to make me angry. Facebook will not work for every business, regardless of size, but it can work for a lot of them. A lot of what determines whether or not it or any advertising venue works is whether or not the advertiser's target market is on that particular platform. It also depends on who's been followed/liked, how diligent the advertiser has been about targeting their marketing and a dozen other things. I know several local businesses that have done quite well with Facebook. The trick is to do the research to see if your target market is there and then, if research shows they are, to target your following and advertising accordingly.

patrickprecisione
08-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Been a marketer/web developer for over ten years - Social media is a waste of money for small businesses to get new business from, it can work for customer service and awareness, but most SMB's don't have the time to develop SM channels because of the time and expense (length of time to see a ROI, if you see one at all) it takes and marketing dollars could be spent better elsewhere.

I think I mostly agree with this, but I would say that you can expand this to most businesses, not just small ones. The new trend in social media marketing ROI is measuring metrics like customer sentiment and social account activity. But as you point out, social still has value for businesses. And through brand awareness and customer service you can generate new business and repeat business. But perhaps this shouldn't be the main focus of social media.

Harold Mansfield
08-21-2013, 01:03 PM

I totally disagree with this. First of all, I can think of at least 4 things that I have purchased recently because I saw them first on Facebook or someone else I know purchased and shared. And I'm a skeptical, bah-humbug, naysayer who works on the web and completely understands that I'm being marketed to and ignore it. And I still purchased because I wanted it.

Second, I can remember at least one instance where I have gotten work because someone shared a blog post of mine that someone else read, which took them to my website and then they discovered that I provided a service that they needed and they called me.

So to put out absolutes like is short sighted. Yeah, if you think Facebook is going to work for you the way it does for companies who advertise their Facebook pages on national television, then yes you are being unrealistic. But what kind of return you get on it is up to you, the time, and creativity that you put into it.

If there is an absolute to be had about Social Media, it's that most businesses fail at it because they have no idea what they are doing, don't put much effort into it, or don't do anything original or creative with it.

Makedon
01-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Facebook ads can by really useful if target properly, still low coast for most countries

kjpublicrelations
01-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Facebook is actually our number one source of referral traffic (for my own small business). For my clients, it is usually one of the top three.

We love Facebook because it is free :) And there are so many unique ways to reach people. We do typically boost our Facebook presence through paid advertising, but even with a modest budget of a few dollars a day, we see such a dramatic increase in website traffic and sales. Not to mention we feel as if we can truly connect with customers online. Facebook has helped us (and our clients) form trusting relationships and credibility with customers and convert sales.

jonlangberg4896
08-18-2014, 10:12 AM
I have spent time and seen some return on Facebook marketing, but you can't expect instant results, consistency over time as I am sure you know! I wrote an article on this that you may find helpful, click here (http://www.fmgmarketing.net/#!blog/c1uen/post/2944060061562186937)

greatsuccess
09-08-2014, 10:52 AM
To each its own. Facebook marketing done right can work for any business. If you can't make it work on Facebook, hire someone who is experienced in Facebook marketing. It can work for you. Social media marketing is going to be around forever and it is not going away any time soon. There is alot of traffic on Facebook so get in there so you can get a piece of the pie. Hire a pro to do the social media marketing for you.

Harold Mansfield
09-08-2014, 11:24 AM
To each its own. Facebook marketing done right can work for any business. If you can't make it work on Facebook, hire someone who is experienced in Facebook marketing. It can work for you. Social media marketing is going to be around forever and it is not going away any time soon. There is alot of traffic on Facebook so get in there so you can get a piece of the pie. Hire a pro to do the social media marketing for you.
I disagree. Facebook isn't the right fit for EVERY business. I agree that almost any business can benefit from some kind of SM Marketing, but you need to choose the one that is right for your business goals and target market.