PDA

View Full Version : my new website

huggytree
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Waukesha Plumbing - Residential Plumbing in Southeastern Wisconsin. Serving Waukesha, Milwaukee Counties (http://www.waukeshaplumbing.com)

i had my website redone($1400) 6 weeks ago

many of you may remember my old one that i had reviewed...im looking for pos. & neg. feedback

it has gotten me 2 calls from builders and 1 e-mail from a homeowner...so far $0 in business

i feel it may be too geared towards builders and not for homeowners

85% of my business is builders, but id like it to be 50% or less some day

i like homeowner work because i get a check when the project is done. with builders i have to wait 30 days+

the website may look to high end with all the high end fixture photo's...it may scare away alot of middle end customers?

Steve B
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I may have already made this observation on the old forum, but I don't think it ads anything to show the map to your house (I'm assuming it's your house). Unless you have a showroom - why would you want that to be part of your website.

I think the rest of it looks great. Very polished and professional looking. And, not too crowded.

Having the website is only one step. Now, you have to make sure people are finding your website. I highly recomend Google Adwords. You can PM or call me if you want more details on how I use it for my business.

seolman
01-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I think your site looks great. I don't see it as being geared toward builders. From my perspective it is geared toward those who prefer quality plumbing services and are willing to pay a bit more to have the job done right. From this point on it comes down to promoting the site to the right audience. I think it's message is clear.

vangogh
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
huggy the site looks good. I notice your name is Dave and wonder if it's ok to call you Dave instead of huggy.

The graphic in the header took a few seconds to download, but otherwise the site loads quickly and I'm really just being nitpicky about the graphic. I would be willing to bet though that it could be better optimized and load quicker. It's the kind of thing that takes a minute to do and is worth it.

I do agree with Steve that the map isn't necessary. If it's showing a place of business where people could actually come and hire you or talk about your services, then sure it makes sense to have it. But if it's just your home address and you aren't going to see people there then you'd be better off without it.

Overall it's a really nice design. It'll be interesting to see how business improves compared to the old site. Definitely let us know.

Business Attorney
01-09-2009, 01:40 PM
With a great name like Dave, you should use your name :)

I think the site looks fine but would echo the idea of ditching the map.

I don't think it is too geared to builders. There is plenty of stuff that appeals to homeowners.

As for the upscale fixtures, I think the pics are great. Who needs a picture of a standard bathroom fixture or a stainless steel kitchen sink, after all? If it does make a few people think you are higher priced, chances are those are the ones looking for a guy in a truck without insurance to unclog their kitchen drain at the cheapest price. Those are the customers you've said you don't want.

vangogh
01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I think Dave's are trying to catch up to all the Steve's here.

cbscreative
01-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I think Dave's are trying to catch up to all the Steve's here.

No way, say it ain't so! :)

I think the site looks fine. As for results, I am always reluctant to trust direct response too much. Yes, you can do things to boost the numbers, but sometimes trying to look at the direct response ignores the other benefits of a web site. Suppose for example you get a referral who looks you up online. They tell you, "Yeah, Joe recommended you," but don't mention they still used your web site.

If I were doing the writing, I would make some stronger customer focused content changes. Your second paragraph is much stronger than the first, so if your first one borrowed from that strength, I think it would help a little. I do see the reason for how the first one was done (tells what you do), just needs a little more customer focus.

Basically, although the site can be improved, it is done very well. And since most home improvement sites just plain suck, you do have a serious advantage already. I didn't check out the local competition, but my experience tells me your site would stand out because I doubt very many are anywhere near this well done.

huggytree
01-09-2009, 05:06 PM
thanks for all the compliments on the site...it could always be better, but im happy with where it is.

i just wish id see some more results from it...its the slowest time of the year, so that isnt on my side....when i dont see results i worry i over did something..

i am using google adwords

i am listed first(for free) when you search for a plumber in the city of Waukesha(which is a large city and also a large county)

when i started in business i thought id get 5 calls a day from my website....i am listed higher up on google than i ever imagined id be...i dreamed id be on the 1st page and not #1....i think i got 2 jobs last year from my website...maybe 5 calls total in 12 months.

my website is also linked to the 2 builder associations i belong to...they advertise heavily and most plumbers dont pay the extra $100 for the link...i did get a $2500 job 2 days ago from the remodeler builder association...i usually get 1 or 2 from them a year.

billbenson
01-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Huggy, do you look at your site stats to see what people are searching for and who? How long they stay on the site, what is your best page etc?

vangogh
01-09-2009, 06:36 PM
my website is also linked to the 2 builder associations i belong to...they advertise heavily and most plumbers dont pay the extra $100 for the link...i did get a $2500 job 2 days ago from the remodeler builder association...i usually get 1 or 2 from them a year.

I bet most of your competition sees the $100 and decides they can't afford that for a link. But then one job covered you for 25 $100 payments.

Bill has a good point about your stats. Do you know how much traffic you get? Do you know what the traffic does once on your site? Where do your visitors come from? If search engines, what phrases are they typing to find you?

Looking through your stats can be a good way to identify what the problem might be. Is it not enough traffic? Is your traffic coming from the wrong sources? Are people getting to the site and then leaving at the same point before they contact you?

huggytree
01-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I have to call the website developer to find out how to get the stats...i was supposed to have access to it.

hurray, tonight i did finally get a job from my new website...it will be a minor $200 job, but i am happy its working for me...

cbscreative
01-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm glad bill brought up the stats issue and getting more insight on your visitors. I was thinking along the same lines, so I definitely agree.

I also wanted to mention something else to further clarify my point about direct response on a web site. It's true of other forms of promotion like direct mail, but is certainly a reality on the web too. Statisically, it takes 7 visits to make a sale. I'm not sure where that info comes from, but I believe it to be true at least in principle because it fits with what I usually see. It's entirely possible that today's visitors may not turn unto a sale for weeks or months.

By advertising on other sites, you are doing the right thing. If your visitors who find you first through a search engine later see your ad or listing on an "authority" site, you have just greatly increased the liklihood of a sale.

Also, any kind of free resource you could provide would be helpful to keep your name in front of those visitors after they leave. You may want to brainstorm on that one, but off the cuff I would use "water saving tips" just to illustrate. A downloadable PDF that includes your contact info could bring them back.

vangogh
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
huggy sign up for an account with Google Analytics. Probably better stats than what you'll be getting. It's free. They give you a small block of code to add to your site and then you can log in and get lots of good info any time you want.

Dan Furman
01-10-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm not nuts about your home page, Dave. In a copy sense (and it's a little busy up top too - that's where you need to be grabbing people) - I think it should more directly speak to the visitor.

I think you could lose all the "slogan speak" (reliable, etc) and the logos. Put the logos somewhere else. Eliminate those first three lines of "stuff" and lead the page off with "Waukesha Plumbing - Residential Plumbing Experts" (actually, I'd say "residential and commercial plumbing experts")

It would look a lot better, and draw people in more.

I love your about us page. Did you write that? It's good.

KristineS
01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm mostly going to echo what other people have said.

First, I don't see any need for the map on the Contact page. Unless there's some reason people will need to get to your address it really has no point. If you're trying to show that you're centrally located or something, just say that. It will work equally well.

I have to agree with what Dan said about your copy too. Your About Us page copy is very well done and quite strong. It does echo some of what was said on your home page, but it does it better. I'd consider switching up some of the copy. Your home page is the first impression you make on someone who visits your site. Right now the stronger copy is on an inside page.

huggytree
01-10-2009, 10:54 AM
i dont like the brand names all over the home page either....i was torn on taking it out or leaving it many times....in the end it would have cost me $100 to remove it so i left it.

i paid someone to write the 'about us' page, but i did write the personal quote next to my photo.

the home page was just a summary of whats on the 'about us'

i didnt ask for the map, they threw it in after everything was already ok'd...i think it helps with people looking for a local plumber...it shows i live near them...i dont have a pos or neg opinion of it...

im going to be using the 'about us' wording on my new mailing campaign this spring...i used a company called 'barefoot marketing' to write it for me...incase anyone wants to hire her..she's great...i think it was $150-200 range

Jagella
01-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Dave:

...im looking for pos. & neg. feedback

On the positive side, I'd say that the overall design of your pages is visually appealing. The hues appear to be harmonized, the text is very readable, and the images are clear and appropriate for your line of business. In addition, your navigation is intuitive and easy to use.

I'd recommend that you use less screen real estate for images and image-text at the top of your pages. You can make your point with less space and allow your visitors quicker access to the “meat” of your pages with less scrolling. There's really no need for your images at the top of your pages to be that big.

i feel it may be too geared towards builders and not for homeowners

I can't say I get that impression. If I was a homeowner, I might well contact you for work. Your services page lists a lot of products I think I'd need for my home.

the website may look to high end with all the high end fixture photo's...it may scare away alot of middle end customers?

I don't think your site would scare anyone away. Overall, it's a good website. If you're having trouble, it's probably your SEO or some other aspect of your marketing. Have you checked your competitors and their sites? If I was shopping for plumbing services in Mukwonago, I'd probably look to several plumbers in that area for work. Why would I do business with you rather than your competitor(s)? That may be the key to your getting better results with your site. Let people know why you're better than the other plumbers in your area.

Jagella

Paul Elliott
01-16-2009, 09:59 PM
i didnt ask for the map, they threw it in after everything was already ok'd...i think it helps with people looking for a local plumber...it shows i live near them...i dont have a pos or neg opinion of it...

Since the map shows your "business" to be in a residential area, it conveys the impression that you aren't as seriously in business as your truck graphics suggests.

I recommend you get rid of the map, or get a private mail box in a business area and map that address.

It would be good to have your picture on the homepage. That gives a more "human" touch--the sort of image you want to project.

Paul

Paul Elliott
01-16-2009, 10:11 PM
im going to be using the 'about us' wording on my new mailing campaign this spring...i used a company called 'barefoot marketing' to write it for me...incase anyone wants to hire her..she's great...i think it was $150-200 range

Some considerations:

1. What is your mailing going to contain? --offer, information, response piece?

2. Who is your target market?

3. How many pieces are you mailing?

4. Are you mailing in waves?

5. How will you test the piece?

6. Are you planning A/B split testing?

Paul

Ben
08-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Hello!

I'm Ben and new here.
I have business myself and thought this is a good forum to get involved in discussions as well as give some advice to those who need it. :)

First of all I like your website. Unfortunately I haven't seen your previous website. I have to agree with the other about the map though...

And you should add Goggle Analytics to your website - it will give you insights into your website traffic - its for free as well!

I set up a web chat software on my websites which makes it easier to communicate with customers - find out their needs, give advice etc. Have you thought about getting one for your site at all? I personally think its something good to have and it doesn't cost you anything either.

Hope this helps you!
Ben

Paul Elliott
08-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Hey, HT, I like your testimonials. Keep up your excellent work!

Paul