PDA

View Full Version : Bricklayer in central scotland-please review my website

marshalltown
01-07-2009, 05:57 PM
hello

My name is Peter McGuire
I have a bricklaying business (http://www.petermcguirecontracts.co.uk) in cumbernauld
We carry out various brickwork projects including,brickwork on house extensions,conservatory bases (including excavation and concreting) and pride ourselves on leaving a clean accurate job. Do you think my website confirms this
please review this site and be totally honest with your answers it will be much appreciated
thank you

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Peter, when people search for services such as yours, the main concern is "What does the work look like?" and you have answered that right away on the first page, and set up your gallery nicely.

The site gets right to the point, which I like. It's simple and easy to navigate.

I don't know how things work in Scotland, but here in the states you have to have contractors license, and it's a Big Deal. If things are the same, the only thing that I would add is that license # right at the top of the page. and maybe a footer, with copyright, physical or contact address, and license number.

vangogh
01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree. I think your site comes across as professional right away. It's easy to navigate and conveys a good sense of trust with your business. I like that you have your email address and phone number on every page. The bricks in the upper right are a nice touch too. It's a simple site, but what needs to be there is there.

I'm not crazy about the copy. The emphasis is on you and not the customer. The information you have is good, but I think it could do a better job to convince people to contact you. From your home page:

With over 40 years combined experience in the building trade around Central and West Scotland, we have a proven track record for delivering external home improvements such as house extensions,garages and hard landscaping that enhance your properties value and usability. We also provide sub-contracting work to larger independent builders and contractors on a sub contract basis.
Bricklaying Contractors Cumbernauld

All that is good, but I would suggest it's something for an About page instead of being the first thing people see. I'm nitpicking a little and don't really have a problem with the text above, but maybe the home page should lead with something focused more on the customer enticing them to call or email.

Steve B
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM
First of all, welcome to the Forum Peter. I'm glad you found us. I'm always glad to see another service type of business join the forum (outside of computer and web based services).

Re: Your website. I think the font size could be increased to make it easier to read. And, I would try have some graphic content on every page. The pages corresponding with the second two buttons are text only - even if you just ad one photo to each page I think it would be an improvement.

In the photo gallery - I clicked on the pictures to enlarge them, but instead it SHRUNK them. I never saw that happen before.

I like the Yellow, but I think I would make an effort to add a third color to each page.

seolman
01-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi Peter,

The site looks pretty good to me. I didn't have any problem with the gallery (no photo shrinkage). I agree with the comment made earlier about the text could be a bit larger. I don't know much about the Scottish market so it's difficult for me to comment about how the textcontent should be improved. I will say on the pages where you have text only you might consider breaking it up a little by adding an image - maybe a person on the job site doing some work or reviewing some plans, something related to the skills you have.

Otherwise I think it's a great site. The rest is just promotion.

By the way, I'm a McKenzie, family originally from the Highlands - does that entitle me to a discount?