PDA

View Full Version : Creative Web Design Business

Alex1
02-19-2013, 05:38 AM
Hi. My name is Alex(obviosly).

So me and some coworkers decided to build up a web design business, that really focuses on creativity of functionality of the website. Our aim is to create the best of the best- eye-catching look,functionality and ease of use.

Now, even though we are experienced in web design we are quite new in internet marketing so I was hoping I could get some critique for the website(link in my signature) and maybe some advice on advertising for web design.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

IADS
02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Try referrals. You can make a deal with web hosting companies that send you business. You can target a niche market. You can post regular press releases and target business publications and blogs.
You may have seen in other posts of mine that I have little faith in SEO. It is very expensive to advertise in search engines and SEO is hard and iffy.... In my hosting business I get more business offline then on.

PS: Your site looks nice, but the links don't work.

Harold Mansfield
02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
really focuses on creativity of functionality of the website. Our aim is to create the best of the best- eye-catching look,functionality and ease of use.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

This is great, but don't think that it's going to catapult your marketing. It's what EVERY web design company says.
You can't really narrow your focus until you determine your target market. "anyone who needs a website" is not good enough.

When you know who you are targeting, it helps you define your message to reach them.

It took me some time to determine my ideal customer and some of that is who I DON'T want as customers, looking at trends and over time looking at who contacts me the most.

Specializing in a certain area can really help. I've seen web designers that specialize in certain industries, certain platforms, or specific demographics do well in attracting just those people. People generally don't search for a general website company anymore. They've learned to refine it based on their needs.

You can look at companies like Quicken, Go Daddy, Web.com, and 1&1 whose target market for their site builders is start ups, without a lot of money, that don't know ANYTHING about websites and want something quick and easy. They target that niche heavily. That is probably not your target market, so that's a step in the right direction....you know that you DON'T want to market to those people, and likely can't compete in that market anyway.

If you are going to start spending money on ads, knowing who you are targeting is going to helpful to insure that you don't just throw money in the air and hope it lands on something.

Referrals are also going to be really helpful.

The bad part is, web designers are a dime a dozen. They are everywhere, but that doesn't mean that they are all neccessarily any good. So how do you seperate yourself from all of the noise and stand out? That's going to be different for everyone. 20 web designers can give you tips on what works for them, but even if you do the exact same thing, it won't neccessarily work for you. The biggest truth in business when it comes to marketing is, "It depends", cause it really does depend on a lot of factors. You really have to make it personal for what works for your business

Alex1
02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
This is great, but don't think that it's going to catapult your marketing. It's what EVERY web design company says.
You can't really narrow your focus until you determine your target market. "anyone who needs a website" is not good enough.

When you know who you are targeting, it helps you define your message to reach them.

It took me some time to determine my ideal customer and some of that is who I DON'T want as customers, looking at trends and over time looking at who contacts me the most.

Specializing in a certain area can really help. I've seen web designers that specialize in certain industries, certain platforms, or specific demographics do well in attracting just those people. People generally don't search for a general website company anymore. They've learned to refine it based on their needs.

You can look at companies like Quicken, Go Daddy, Web.com, and 1&1 whose target market for their site builders is start ups, without a lot of money, that don't know ANYTHING about websites and want something quick and easy. They target that niche heavily. That is probably not your target market, so that's a step in the right direction....you know that you DON'T want to market to those people, and likely can't compete in that market anyway.

If you are going to start spending money on ads, knowing who you are targeting is going to helpful to insure that you don't just throw money in the air and hope it lands on something.

Referrals are also going to be really helpful.

Thank you, that is quite helpful advice. My target demographic is businesses or people who are interested in having more unique web sites, not people who don't really care what their site looks like, as long as its there.

So I'm still trying to narrow down who those people are :)