PDA

View Full Version : Browser Toolbar Creation

nealrm
02-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I want to create a browser toolbar. It would contain links to different places on my site, have a site search feature and have a drop down list of recent listings. I have searched several online toolbar creation site, but was disappointed with all of them. They all seem to want to install adware, or change your browser setting on install. Both are unacceptable from a marketing standpoint. Has anyone created a browser toolbar? What program did you use? Are you happy with the results?

billbenson
02-16-2013, 09:02 PM
I took a slightly different approach. I made an html page that is my admin panel for special purpose scripts I've written. I've thought of improving it at times by pulling the admin links out of a simple db table. That way you could easily ad links on the fly through a form. I always keep the admin tab open.

Harold Mansfield
02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Have to looked at Conduit?
I've used it before for an old blog and liked it very much. Mine was a music website, so I expecially liked the radio add on, I actually still use it today.
Create a Toolbar | Community Toolbar by Conduit (http://toolbar.conduit.com/)

nealrm
02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Harold - I looked at Conduit and even created a sample toolbar. When I installed it I found out that it now resets your default browser to Bing. Since this is going out to the public, I don't want anything that would reset unrelated browser settings. I find such practices to be distasteful and not something that I am willing to supply to my visitors.

Bill - Not really what I was wanting to do. I want a browser for public use. Something where they could keep their home page, yet still quickly access different areas of my site and do site specific searched. Thanks anyway.

Harold Mansfield
02-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Harold - I looked at Conduit and even created a sample toolbar. When I installed it I found out that it now resets your default browser to Bing. Since this is going out to the public, I don't want anything that would reset unrelated browser settings. I find such practices to be distasteful and not something that I am willing to supply to my visitors.

That sucks. It didn't used to be that way. You used to be able to add whatever search engine you wanted. Multiple even. Someone must have bought them out.

That was the only one that I've ever found. Probably have to contact a programer to get what you want at this point.

nealrm
02-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I agree. You can still ad what ever additional search engines you want, but it will default to bing.

Harold Mansfield
02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Goes to show how long it's been since I've used it. Bing didn't exist yet.