PDA

View Full Version : Opening Links in New Window

Georgias Gifts
02-07-2013, 05:18 PM
I am making some adjustments to my website and I'm a little confused on this matter.

If my link in an internal one to another page on my site, should it be in a new window or not? Could anyone explain which is better to do?

nealrm
02-07-2013, 06:03 PM
For an internal page I would keep it in the same tab(if possible).

MyITGuy
02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Same Site - Same Tab.

If your linking to a third party, then I would open it in a new tab.

joa
02-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Same tab. It doesn't really matter but for the sake of not annoying your visitors I'd keep it all on the same tab. (yeah, apart from third party ^^)

IADS
02-26-2013, 08:34 PM
The main reason for opening a link as a new/separate page is so that you don't loose track of where you are and to keep visitors on your site, and not loose them to another site, but still want to show info on the other site.

dianecoleen
03-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Same window will do if you're linking to the same site. However, always make sure that if it's a third party site, then you have to use the <target_blank> code so you won't loose track of your visitors.

Ren V.
03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Georgias,

If your link takes a viewer to another page within your site, just keep everything in the same tab. If it leads to an external site, I use Javascript to open a new window, set its size, etc. This way the user won't lose your website because they'll be right back on it once they close the popup window.

Ren

Marcomguy
03-30-2013, 10:17 AM
I'll concur and say "same tab for internal pages, new tab for external pages."

jacksarlo
04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
For most cases you don't want to open links in a new window if they're going to stay on the same website/domain.
You specify a link to open in a new window ideally if that link is on another website/domain.

So if you have sitea.com/page1.html and want to link to sitea.com/page2.html don't use open in new window, no need to.
but if from sitea.com/page1.html to siteanother.com/andpage.html then yes!

Always also think about your visitor, is it useful for him to have the link opened in a new window or not?

Georgias Gifts
04-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all your help.

oberlinwebdesign
07-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Internal links should be within the same tab to avoid clutter. External links should be in a new tab or window so that the viewers aren't completely leaving your site. They can still access the open tab and be back on your site.

Same window will do if you're linking to the same site. However, always make sure that if it's a third party site, then you have to use the <target_blank> code so you won't loose track of your visitors.

If you use HTML then the anchor tag should look like <a href="some url" target="_blank">Anchor Text</a>