PDA

View Full Version : InDesign Versus Quarkxpress

Jagella
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
So far I've used Adobe InDesign as a page layout program for both work and study. Another member here has told me that Quarkxpress is very often used for page layout. It appears that I'll need to learn Quarkxpress too. Has anybody here used either one of these programs or both? I'm curious as to how they compare. I'm guessing that since InDesign is Adobe's product, then it may well be on its way to becoming the industry standard just like Photoshop and Illustrator. If so, Quarkxpress may become less important to know.

Jagella

vangogh
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't use either so I can't specifically comment about each program, but I'll offer some general thoughts.

First software is a tool. In the end it shouldn't really mater which you use. Photoshop for example is the de facto image editing program for designers, yet a good designer will create something better using something as simple as the Paint program that comes installed with Windows than a poor designer will create using Photoshop.

However, the more you know the better so if you have a chance to learn Quark you might as well.

For years Quark was the industry standard. It may still be though, InDesign is certainly right there with it, if it's not already the industry standard. Just guessing too, but I would think each can read the files of the other.

Unless there's some reason why you specifically need to use Quark for a project I wouldn't get it just because it may or may not be the standard. Microsoft Word is the standard for creating documents. The only time I've ever opened the program is when someone sends me a .doc file. Even then I'll open it in another program if I can. A few months back I switched to a Mac and now no longer have Word installed. It hasn't stopped me from opening Word Documents either. All I'm saying is industry standards mostly mean that most people happen to use a given program. That doesn't mean it's necessary or desired to use the program too.

billbenson
01-05-2009, 06:12 PM
How have you found working without word? The reason I ask is I find that every once in a while I need a template or some download from the MS website and I can't get it in Win 2k which is what I currently use. Kind of inconvenient. It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.

vangogh
01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Right now I'm using NeoOffice, which is basically OpenOffice programmed to run natively on a Mac. If I didn't tell you it wasn't Microsoft Office you probably wouldn't know at first glance. I don't need to open too many Word Docs, but everyone one I've tried has opened fine.

I'm not sure if the templates would work though.

In general I don't like Word Processors that much. They certainly have their place, but I hardly, if ever, need one. Simple text files work fine for me.

Jagella
01-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Just guessing too, but I would think each can read the files of the other.

I just checked my copy of InDesign, and it can only save as InDesign documents or templates. However, it can open Quarkxpress files.

All I'm saying is industry standards mostly mean that most people happen to use a given program. That doesn't mean it's necessary or desired to use the program too.

Let's hope Blessed can offer some advice on this issue. She advised me to know Quarkxpress if I want to work for somebody else. If I continue to work for myself, then InDesign should suffice.

Jagella

SteveC
01-05-2009, 11:09 PM
As most printers nowadays accept PDF docuements for print, it doesn't matter what program you use...

Quarkexpress is the most widely used page layout program, it's aimed mainly at MAC users... most PC users use Adobe Indesign... Adobe Photoshop is the leader in grahic design... and Final Cut Pro (MAC) is the leader in video editing... although Premier Pro is catching up...

Blessed
01-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Here is my analysis on the issue - in a nutshell:

Years ago PageMaker was the industry standard, then Quark came on the scene and was so much better than PageMaker that it became the industry standard then Adobe scrapped PageMaker and came out with InDesign - a few versions later InDesign was giving Quark a run for their money primarily because Adobe packages their software and sells four programs for just slightly more than what Quark costs. Also Adobe pitches their software package to educational institutions and since students need to learn the other stuff that is bundled with InDesign, Quark has quickly lost a lot of the standing it used to have in the industry.

My take on the whole scenario - I prefer Quark, I hated PageMaker and once I got used to Quark I didn't see any need to switch back to InDesign once Adobe came out with it. Because I am used to Quark it is a much more intuitive program for me than InDesign is however InDesign has become a decent program but personally I still feel like Quark does a better job and has fewer glitches, hang-ups and other frustrating things. Also I know Mac and PC users both who prefer one or the other program - they both work well on both platforms. Personally I own both programs and always will.

As for most print shops accepting print-ready PDFs now - that is true, but if you are going to work for one of those print shops you will need to know how to operate both InDesign and Quark unless it is a low-budget shop that doesn't own both programs. Additionally all of the good print shops I know ask for Print Ready PDF's and the native files - just in case there is a problem because although PDFs are great files - they are not the answer to every problem and are not perfect.

Finally - Quark will open InDesign files and InDesign will open Quark files but the files never translate 100% correctly so unless you absolutely have to do that - I highly advise against it.

OK, next question? :D Remember you are asking an opinionated woman with 15 years experience in this field!

Jagella
01-06-2009, 05:52 PM
That's very helpful information. Thank you.

Jagella

Blessed
01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Happy to help!

Jagella
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
OK, next question? :D Remember you are asking an opinionated woman with 15 years experience in this field!

I happen to like women. :p

Jagella

Blessed
01-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I happen to like women. :p

Jagella

don't most of you men... :rolleyes: that's ok - I like men, especially men who ask me questions and then listen when I answer!

Jagella
01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
don't most of you men... :rolleyes: that's ok - I like men, especially men who ask me questions and then listen when I answer!

I like to think that's I'm socially progressive in my thinking. Everybody deserves a fair chance to prove her or his abilities.

Jagella