PDA

View Full Version : Works before doing SEO

jim.sklansky
01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
I need to do SEO for my website but i want to do it by myself. Can anybody tell me how can i do that? I have build a nice website with animation, graphics, images and contents and blogs with commenting option. Now what is the step by step process to do SEO for the website?

vangogh
01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
There is no step-by-step guide to seo. It's a form of marketing. It's not a recipe. There are a lot of things to learn and then you use what you've learned to make better decisions in regards to marketing your site through a search engine.

You can learn it, but be prepared to spend a good amount of time doing so.

Here's a good beginner's guide (http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-guide-to-seo) to get you started. You might also want to subscribe to the blog while you're there. Learn what you can and apply it to your site. Learn some more and apply that. Learn a little more and adjust what you've done. And on and on. Don't look to seo as a quick step-by-step thing. Just keep learning more about it and using what you learn to build a better site and market it.

jim.sklansky
02-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Thank you vangogh for your link. Actually i'm very much excited to adopt the technique and also apply that to my website. I asked "step by step" process because, a friend of mine told me that, SEO might need something to buy. Is this correct? Am i need to buy any backlinks or any other software? I really don't have idea about this. I'm just collecting the information to learn SEO.

ozetel
02-03-2013, 02:58 AM
I agree with Vangogh - I charged into learning SEO myself after some bad experiences with outsourcing, and used seomoz.org

It is a great place to get the background of SEO and grow your own skills for your business.

imho, it is a patience game! If you want results in days, you will create trouble. If you are prepared to learn and implement and work within the guidelines of "content and reality" then you will be ok.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.

billbenson
02-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Thank you vangogh for your link. Actually i'm very much excited to adopt the technique and also apply that to my website. I asked "step by step" process because, a friend of mine told me that, SEO might need something to buy. Is this correct? Am i need to buy any backlinks or any other software? I really don't have idea about this. I'm just collecting the information to learn SEO.

SEO is really something that should be done concurrent with site development, not after the fact. Particularly today when site content is such an important part of SEO.

Wozcreative
02-03-2013, 10:29 PM
I agree with Billbenson, you've missed a big step now that you have finished the website.. however you can still modify it but sometimes you may have to do some big changes depending on how you've set your website up.

Pack-Secure
02-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Am i need to buy any backlinks or any other software?

Please DO NOT buy any back links. You need to put good content on your site and get back links naturally.

jim.sklansky
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Thank you ALL for giving me best suggestions. I'm now trying to implement the good suggestions.

vangogh
02-08-2013, 01:24 AM
You don't need to buy anything. Not links and not software. You can buy things, but you don't need to.

Start reading and learning about seo. The guide I linked to above should get you started. Read the SEOmoz blog too and start following some of the sites they link to. If you follow some of the links each sites points to you can quickly build up dozens of sites to follow. A lot of the information won't make sense at first, but over time it starts to.

Don't think of seo as where to add a keyword or how do I tweak this one line of code. Think of it in more holistic terms. SEO is just a part of marketing. Learn what you can and give some of the things you learn a try and see if they work.

I see your site is built on WordPress. For the most part your code should be in decent shape. It's no guarantee your site is coded well, but WordPress is pretty good out of the box. Here's a guide on WordPress SEO (http://yoast.com/articles/wordpress-seo/). Lots of good information there. Don't worry if you don't follow every recommendation. Learn first and apply later. By the way I prefer Yoast's (the guy who wrote the guide) SEO plugin to the others out there. I'll recommend any plugin he creates. He knows both WordPress and seo very well.

Patience is definitely a good trait to have where seo is concerned. It doesn't all make sense at first, but little by little it becomes clearer and easier to understand. You don't have to follow every piece of advice you see. I mostly learn what I can so that I can make better decisions in general with all the other things I do. For example every page on your site is going to have a page title. As you learn more about page titles you can start writing better titles. It's not that you're looking for the one true way to write a page title, but rather you'll learn that page titles are important and can help a page rank. If you want to page to rank for "keyword phrase" it makes sense to use "keyword phrase" in the page title. Then you'll learn it might be better to place this phrase toward the front of the title instead of the end. Little by little you're writing better page titles.

Once again though, you don't need to follow everything to the point of it being a formula. When I write a page title I'm mainly writing it for real people and not search engines. If how I would write it only for search engines conflict with how I would write it only for real people, I'll always side with writing the title for real people.

Tyrant
05-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Please DO NOT buy any back links. You need to put good content on your site and get back links naturally.

That is not always true. In order for your website to be able to gain backlinks naturally you must make sure that others can find it, and SEO is one of those ways - for those who don't have the budget and the experience to pay Google's not-so-cheap services, the only option.

ksnazel
05-20-2013, 12:23 AM
I have been reading a lot about SEO these last few days as I am in the process of launching my business website. There is lots to learn and tons of reading but I think the best advice that I have read is good original content. Ill say it again... Good original content is VERY important to successful website ranking. Original is something like a blog or YouTube video and good is something that is relevant to the website.

billbenson
05-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I have been reading a lot about SEO these last few days as I am in the process of launching my business website. There is lots to learn and tons of reading but I think the best advice that I have read is good original content. Ill say it again... Good original content is VERY important to successful website ranking. Original is something like a blog or YouTube video and good is something that is relevant to the website.

Note: Search engines still can't read video such as youtube.

MasBro
05-21-2013, 09:10 PM
There are some good blogs and forums to learn from. Stay away from WarriorForum - Internet Marketing Forums (http://www.warriorforum.com). They have some good content, but there are way too many people who think they're experts, but really have no clue. Try www.seomoz.com (http://seomoz.com).

patrickprecisione
05-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Here's a good beginner's guide (http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-guide-to-seo) to get you started. You might also want to subscribe to the blog while you're there. Learn what you can and apply it to your site.

That's a great link, Van Gogh! I used it when I was an SEO noob (not that I'm an expert now...).

I would also say that asking questions on forums like this one is a great idea. Most people are happy to help so if you come across anything that's confusing or you want to learn more about, ask away!

vangogh
05-29-2013, 01:34 AM
That Beginner's Guide was among the first things I read about SEO. it was an older version, but had similar information and I did find it helpful.