PDA

View Full Version : DBA Question

Allenb
01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Hiya all,

I am thinking of taking my brick and mortar business online. An I required to file for a DBA fro the domain name were planning to use?

Business Attorney
01-28-2013, 12:45 AM
If it's just a domain name but you do do business under your brick and mortar business name, then you probably do not need to register the domain name as a DBA. For example, if Alphonse Schmegelski, DP has a site called PodunkFootDoctor(dot)com but clearly conducts his practice as Alphonse Schmegelski, DP then in most states that would not need to be registered as a DBA. It is really just an easy to remember web address to find information about.

On the other hand, if your website does business under the domain name, then you probably do need to register it as a DBA. One of my clients has an online business that has different pricing than his brick and mortar business. His online business is conducted under the domain name, not under the store name. That is a DBA.

I hope this helps. DBA requirements vary from state to state, so you need to look at the requirements in your own state to make sure they are consistent with these general guidelines.

Allenb
01-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Many thanks.

One more question. If we do go ahead with the DBA for the website, will it be possible for our vendors to associate the DBA with the LLC?

Freelancier
01-28-2013, 09:59 AM
DBA means "doing business as", which means it's just an alias for the underlying business or personal entity. So, yes, your vendors can do business and know it as either the DBA name or the LLC name. In the end, it's still really just the LLC as the driving business entity.

Business Attorney
01-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Many thanks.

One more question. If we do go ahead with the DBA for the website, will it be possible for our vendors to associate the DBA with the LLC?

I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking whether a vendor will be able to see that your LLC is behind the DBA (assuming that is the case), then the answer is yes. If the vendor, or anyone else, takes time to check who is behind the DBA, the public records will disclose who is actually the one doing business under the assumed name. That is the whole purpose of requiring an assumed name filing.

If you are asking if the vendor can treat the DBA and the LLC as one entity, the answer is that they ARE one entity. Filing a DBA simply discloses the entity behind the name, but it is only a name. The entity is still the same no matter what name it uses.