PDA

View Full Version : My New Online Portfolio

Jagella
01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Well, I've finally created my online portfolio page (http://freeforalldesigns.com/portfolio.html). I'd appreciate advice on the following:

Are any of the graphics too large or too small?
Are there any problems with the basic layout?
Do you see any problems with the text or copy?
Does the page load slowly?

Thanks!

Jagella

vangogh
01-05-2009, 03:04 PM
The page loaded fine for me. I think the image sizes are fine, though you may want to have them clickable and lead to larger versions so people interested can look into the details.

Personally I prefer having all the images be on one side and having the copy be on the other. It doesn't matter which side for each, but I think it makes it easier to see what copy goes with what image. You wouldn't need to add in things like "to the left" or "the image above"

I'm not crazy about most of the copy. I think the first paragraph isn't really necessary. You might just say 'below are some recent designs' or something to that effect. Within the portfolio I don't think you need to mention that the words are coming from a client when they are. Take for example Steve's testimonial about the animation. Just offer his words instead of the sentence telling us it's a testimonial.

Another thing is not to talk about things in general like:

As a graphic designer I realize that printed documents are very important. I have studied digital prepress in college, and I've applied that knowledge to the color, resolution, and print characteristics of different kinds of documents...

The first sentence above really has nothing to do with your portfolio and the second sentence works better on an about page. Just tell us about the particular cd label design. Give us a couple quick sentences about why you went with that design or what the requirements of the project were. Keep the text specific to that one project.

Jagella
01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback, Steve. After I get some more recommendations, I'll present a second draft of the page in which I'll incorporate the suggestions that seem to work best.

Jagella

KristineS
01-05-2009, 04:55 PM
The page loaded quickly. I think you have a nice representation of the different types of work you do.

I have to agree with Vangogh in regards to the copy, it needs work. I almost felt that the first paragraph sounded tentative or apologetic in some way. This is a page where you're meant to be tooting your own horn, so toot it loudly.

Using testimonials is a great thing and very helpful, but you need to sound confident in your skills and abilities. It also might be nice to tell a little bit about why you created each design as you did. Point out something special that the average viewer might not notice.

I would also leave out the bit about the designs that helped you get good grades. It makes you sound inexperienced and that's a hurdle you don't need in your way.

vangogh
01-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I almost felt that the first paragraph sounded tentative or apologetic in some way.

I was thinking the same thing. No need to be apologetic. Be confident. You may think of it as simply being honest, but it comes across as saying you don't think you have much experience. You may not have a lot of work experience, but you don't want to tell people that. If someone calls you and asks then yes you should be honest. But there's no reason to volunteer the information.

Jagella
01-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I think you have a nice representation of the different types of work you do.

I better! After all that work and expense. Thanks for the kudos.

I checked some other online portfolios, and they looked very nice. However, the problem I saw with them is that the page layout looked better than the graphics. Rather than go that route, I decided to place my graphics on a plain white background. That way the graphics don't get less emphasis than the negative space. I believe I made the right decision.

I have to agree with Vangogh in regards to the copy, it needs work. I almost felt that the first paragraph sounded tentative or apologetic in some way. This is a page where you're meant to be tooting your own horn, so toot it loudly.

I suppose I'm not the best Web-copy writer. I'll need to either hone my copy-writing skills or get a professional to do it for me. For now, I'll try to make the copy more forceful in the next draft.

I would also leave out the bit about the designs that helped you get good grades. It makes you sound inexperienced and that's a hurdle you don't need in your way.

Hmmm. After a bit of reflection, I'll have to agree. Did you ever notice that improving a work often simply involves taking time to think about what may not work?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the suggestions. My second draft is forthcoming.

Jagella

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Jagella,
It seems as if you have some good ideas, but are not using the proper platform to express them.

I am not over impressed by the design of the site, and I think that you could do a lot better.

I know I talk a lot about using word press, but I think in your case it would be an excellent option for you to use to showcase your stuff.

I could see a portfolio type theme, with a light box previewer as a much more attractive showcase for your design. Such as this free Revolution Theme (http://www.revolutiontwo.com/demo/album.html). Or this one (http://wpthemes.blogohblog.net/?page_id=19) (this is just an example)

I know switching to Word Press may be considered a big undertaking if you are not familiar with it, but it offers you opportunity to showcase your stuff in many different ways, without spending any money, as many good themes are free, as well as the plug ins to show case them such as Featured Slide Show Galleries, Light boxes, and various other gallery plug ins.

You should be using you space a little more efficiently on the page and get as much information in before the fold as possible, to keep readers interest (without looking cluttered).

I don't think having new viewers scroll down the page, one design at a time will keep them interested. You have a lot of wasted space that could be used to impress, or make your point.

Since my design skills are limited, I prefer to let someone else do the work, and modify the theme or template to match my needs, so that I can move on to the important stuff like promotion.

As far as the copy, you seem to be half way between a professional site, and a personal blog. I don't think you should open (your first page) talking to people, you should open with your company bio, or promo...who you are and what you do. You have to act as if..people have never heard of you, and they need as much information quickly about why they should stay on the page.

Also, I noticed that you have too much personal information on your contact page. As well as your "About Me" page. An apartment number ? That is a big no-no online. If you don't have an office address, or P.O. box, then use a contact form, or simply your email is fine.

Your costumer survey is something that should be on your contact me page, not a stand alone. (As well as your "Submit a proposal page" ) You are wasting space and sending people all over the place to get information that should be combined.

All of these things can be accomplished with simple word press plug ins (free) which is why I suggested using the platform, and give you a more professional look to your site.

I have sort of a "Portfolio" site myself, (in my sig) and I am not very versed when it comes to design (I actually suck), but I built it using a free theme, and free plug ins, on my already existing hosting account on $10 a year domain. So I am not proposing that you spend a bunch of money.

These of course are just my opnions.

Jagella
01-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Hi Harold:

I am not over impressed by the design of the site, and I think that you could do a lot better.

I'm always looking to improve.

I know switching to Word Press may be considered a big undertaking if you are not familiar with it, but it offers you opportunity to showcase your stuff in many different ways, without spending any money, as many good themes are free, as well as the plug ins to show case them such as Featured Slide Show Galleries, Light boxes, and various other gallery plug ins.

I'll need to look into what WordPress has to offer.

An apartment number ? That is a big no-no online. If you don't have an office address, or P.O. box, then use a contact form, or simply your email is fine.

That's interesting. Working from an apartment might turn some people off? I thought about that problem as far as local clients might be concerned. I wasn't aware that Web clients might feel that way.

These of course are just my opnions.

Your opinions are noted and appreciated. I will keep them in mind as I continue to improve my site and my offerings.

Jagella

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2009, 10:59 PM
The comment about the apt# had nothing to do with professionalism as much as it did security.

You don't need to let any crack pot out there know where to find you, and it is just one more building block to identity theft.

seolman
01-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey Joe - it's a great start. The page loads fast!

I might suggest you change the "Submit Your Proposal" to "Define Your Project" or something similar. In my experience a proposal is something a business would provide to a customer. That may save the site visitor a little confusion.

On the apartment # thing you can always say "Unit 114" and it will look like an office suite. Or you could use a PO Box if available.

But I like the idea and admire that fact you will be helping non-profits. About 5-10% of our work is non-profit. We do a lot of work here in Costa Rica for organizations that help battered women and street kids. We basically design and host their sites for free.

Jagella
01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Here's the latest draft of my portfolio page (http://freeforalldesigns.com/portfolio_Draft2.html). I tried to make most of the changes suggested.

Jagella

Steve B
01-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I like being first on the list. I wish I sold stuff nationally, so when you're famous I'd benefit from all the clicks I would get.

Jagella
01-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I like being first on the list. I wish I sold stuff nationally, so when you're famous I'd benefit from all the clicks I would get.

I will rule the world! I like your sense of humor, Steve. :)

(Joe) Jagella

vangogh
01-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Definitely an improvement Joe. A few things I still notice.

I'm still not crazy about the opening paragraph. Something about it still has that apologetic feel. Here's what I have as an opening on my portfolio:

The sites below are a sampling of my work from over the years. I hope they give you an idea of my style and how that style has evolved. I typically favor a clean and simple design, though I will experiment when a project calls for it.

You can click any of the images for a larger view.

Not necessarily the best copy in the world, but there's no mention of these being the biggest successes or getting good results. No proving it. I think it's those words that are giving me pause in your opening. Let the work stand on it's own. When you tell me something was a great success it makes me question if that's really true.

As much as I like Steve's testimonial I'm wondering now if it belongs here. I see it then ask how come no one else gave you a testimonial? Why not simply add a testimonials page and have it there. (Sorry to take away your fame Steve)

It looks a lot better having all the images on the same side. I think either a little more space between each or maybe a dividing line between them would help with the layout. Something to make it clearer which text goes with which image. Look at Steve's contact info. Without reading it, does it go with the 1st or 2nd image. It's equally spaced from both. The only thing that tells me it belongs with the image above is that the font is larger. That's not enough at a quick glance.

Oh and the fonts should be the same size.

Again it's much better than before, but I would still go over the copy again. Don't mention reviews so much. As a potential client I want to know that you know your stuff is good. I don't want to feel like you need others telling you you're good before you know.

Jagella
01-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks, Steve. I'll try to include what you suggested in my next draft.

Jagella