PDA

View Full Version : Taglines or Slogans?

FreePeasant
01-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Hi All,

Need help in deciding which keyword to use for my advertising agency solo start up name.

Taglines or Slogans, for some differentiate but many think they are the same, and they both apply to my start up.

Taglines popularity here and in North America is growing, but is searched for a lot less in Google Traffic in comparison to slogans or "advertising slogans", and gives the impression it is used by the advertising industry rather than the real business man or woman.

I would appreciate any opinion on which the visible name of Taglines or the word Slogans would attract you first?

FreePeasant
01-16-2013, 08:16 AM
To entice lurkers to post...

If you were looking for a motto/words for your company/event/campaign....would you type tagline or advertising slogan in Google?

Harold Mansfield
01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
My Tagline is simply what I do. What people can expect to find or what services I offer. I think that's what it should be.
There is no more waste of time than for a new business that doesn't have an ad and branding budget to make themselves familiar in the marketplace, to use a tag line that doesn't tell people anything about what they do, and leaves you walking away wondering what that person or company does.

And yet, I see people doing it more and more.

I follow a group thread on Linked In on this exact thing. The thread title is "In one line tell me what your business does", and over and over again every poster puts down general statements that don't even come close to telling what they actually do. If I've seen 200 reponses, maybe 5 actually described their business or service so that it is clear what they do.

Example: "We make business work". - Well what does that mean? You make them "work" how? A better tag line would be (for instance) "Efficiency and Client Management Software". At least now I know what you do and if you have what I want. "We make businesses work" is a slogan. For some reason this concept is lost on many business owners.

Part of that problem is that many people don't sit down and formulate an elevator speech. A short statement that says exactly what it is that you do that anyone can understand if you only have seconds to tell them.

I also think the word "expert" is used far too liberally. Especially when it comes to web and consulting services. A lot of people are good at what they do, but they are not experts. The term expert infers some kind of accreditation from an industry authority that has the power to deem it.
A mechanic can be accredited an expert by GM. But if you call yourself, for instance, a "Social Media" expert...who or what ruling internet and social media body has tested and passed you to hold that title?

I know that's more than you asked for, but that's my opinion on the whole thing.

KristineS
01-16-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm with Harold, something that tells me what you do and that isn't full of buzzwords. Your slogan or tagline should also make me want to know more. Not in an I don't understand what you're saying or what this means kind of way but in a "hmm, that's interesting, I should find out more about this" kind of way.

Wozcreative
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
I use a quote in the header on my site:

There are only three responses to a piece of design... yes, no and WOW! WOW is the one to aim for.

Cheese.. but the point is there. I get clients calling me and explaining that this text allowed them to be convinced that I may be the one for them. Some clients don't know what good design is.. so the word "wow" is what they are easily attracted to.

Whatever you choose should explain something about your business.

FreePeasant
01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Chaps,

I'm not asking for an introspection to taglines or slogans, but one or the other in your business title if you offered advertising services and which both terms apply.

I hope that makes it clearer.

Paul
01-16-2013, 02:48 PM
I think what you are asking is which word, "tagline" or "slogan", is a better SEO search term to be incorporated into your company name. IE: "slogans by freepeasant " vs "taglines by freepeasant ". If that's true than I think you answered your own question with the google result you cited. Personally, I wouldn't respond to either word, or ever search them, to be honest. Not that anything wrong with them except neither is what I would think of. I'd more likely search and respond to words like advertising, advertising copy, marketing, copywriting.....

brandyc
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Chaps,

I'm not asking for an introspection to taglines or slogans, but one or the other in your business title if you offered advertising services and which both terms apply.

Slogan to me has a slightly negative connotation. Since I'm a little more web based with much of my business I would probably use Taglines. Many offline people might not recognize taglines so it would depend on the nature of your business. I hope that is close to the feedback you're looking for . Best wishes.

Brandy

Wozcreative
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
To anyone who is involved in design, development, branding.. the word "tagline" is the proper term. To those who are not educated in the marketing and design fields us the term "slogan".

So.. who is your target audience in this case?

Harold Mansfield
01-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Chaps,

Unless your business is well branded, you should go with a tag line that describes your services in your ads. No sense in wasting valuable space with something cute, when you could be using it for sales copy.
That's my opinion.

FreePeasant
01-17-2013, 11:24 AM
To anyone who is involved in design, development, branding.. the word "tagline" is the proper term. To those who are not educated in the marketing and design fields us the term "slogan".

So.. who is your target audience in this case?

Thanks for your input.
It appear from my unscientific research that anyone using the "proper" term tagline, would probably be competitors or marketeers.

FreePeasant
01-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Correct and sincere thanks