PDA

View Full Version : Hello from FormerlyToolman

FormerlyToolman
01-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I used to post on the other forum, back when I was self employed. I just went back there for the fun of it, and got the private message telling me that there was a new forum here. I figured that I had better come over here and check it out.

I haven't even looked at the other forum for close to a year.

A bit of history, for those who do not know me. I was self employed for over ten years as a mobile tool distributor. A year ago, I began to come to the conclusion that what I owned was in no way a business... it was simply a job! I had no employees, and no way to leverage people to increase my earnings. The business model just was not suited to this. If the business was going to make money, it had to be me, working at it, full time. If I could not be there, no money was made.

That business is many times sold to people as a means to "freedom." You can have the freedom of working for yourself. It really was not true, and it took me years to realize this.

That, and other issues too numerous for me to go into here, led me to seek out another opportunity.

So now, I operate a segment of their business for them. It has had its own challenges, but I enjoy it very much! I have a staff of around 22 people directly under me, so that if I can't be there, everything continues on. It is very freeing! I function pretty well in what they term as a "high stress" position. I laugh at that, because they do not know what stress is!

There is still that little bit inside of me, however, that wants to do something to earn a bit of money on my own. Maybe not to run a part time business, but what I have heard referred to as a "side hustle." Simply a chance to pick up some extra cash by doing a little something on the side.

I have always enjoyed writing, and I figured that was a good place to start. My writing "hustle" earned me $1000 last year, which isn't bad. I can write a 1000 word magazine article, completely edited and ready for publication, in less than two hours. I hope to also write a full length book soon as well.

I have also taken an interest in personal finance (hence the blog I have linked here.) I am of the belief that people can significantly improve their lives by implementing just some simple financial principles, such as budgeting, not spending more than what they owe, and not using consumer credit (I know, what a strange idea!) I will be exploring more of that in blogging, and writing, as well. I have an Excel budget spreadsheet that I use, that is pretty detailed, and people have expressed an interest in using it. There might be an opportunity there as well.

Perhaps I could adapt my sheet for business use, or do some Excel consulting for some businesses out there? Who knows?

I look to expand my blogging into a site with advertising, and some affiliated marketing as well. I also have a goal to start another blog this year.

This is just the start of some of the side hustles I have going. Maybe all of these can be formed into one big group, called "FormerlyToolman Inc," and make up a real business? Who knows? But, I always believe that the spirit of this (or the other) forum has been about people who operate something to make money on their own, weather to completely support themselves (as I used to), or to supplement income from a full time job.

So, with that, I figured that I would come back, and be part of the community once again!

orion_joel
01-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi FormerlyToolman,

I don't seem to remember you from the other forum, however that isn't to say we didn't participate in the same threads, as i had not been active on the other forum for some time before this forum become a part of my daily visits.

sorry to hear about your business, however it does sound like you have moved on to much better things and that you are also open to other areas and streams of income that may come along.

I am on a similar path to you looking to put in some effort on a number of little side projects and bring them altogether under one umbrella at some point in the future.

Anyway i look forward to some future conversations.

cbscreative
01-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi Craig, and welcome to the better than ever SBF. I'm glad that PM was still there and that you found us. Congrats on the changes that have allowed you to rethink things, gain new perspectives, and set new goals. If you haven't noticed already, this place has most of the active SBF members, so I'm sure you will like what we have here.

Business Attorney
01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Welcome, FormerlyToolman. Your story about owning a business versus owning a job is one I see often. particularly in some franchise and distributor situations. It is often difficult for people to see that they are buying into a job when their dream is to work for themselves. I'm glad things are working out for you.

vangogh
01-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Welcome to the new digs Craig. I was hoping you'd find your way over here. I knew you didn't post all that frequently, but I hoped you would log in and someone would let you know where we all went.

Thanks for the intro. I think I learned more about you in the one thread than I had in all the time posting at the old forum.

Thanks for joining the community (again)

KristineS
01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I remember you from the old forum. Welcome to the new SBF. It's wonderful to see familiar screen names (or partially familiar anyway) popping up.

seolman
01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Hello FormerlyToolman from currently Seolman. I wasn't in the old forum so I didn't get the opportunity to know you but I'm glad to know you now.

cbscreative
01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I remember you from the old forum. Welcome to the new SBF. It's wonderful to see familiar screen names (or partially familiar anyway) popping up.
I should add a note here. We all now know Kristine by her "new" user name, but FormerToolman should probably be told that KristineS is Former gunslingergirl.

Evan
01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I should add a note here. We all now know Kristine by her "new" user name, but FormerToolman should probably be told that KristineS is Former gunslingergirl.

Well now the secret is out!

seolman
01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Yeah - sounds like KristineS was a tad violent in her Former Forum days. Somebody not to be trifled with. Although the "S" probably stands for "Slinger". I'm gonna tread lightly around here I can tell ya...

KristineS
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I came up with the old screen name when I was posting on behalf of one of our companies. We had a product which was then called the Gunslinger, hence Gunslingergirl. It was a hunting product, so I mostly used the screen name on hunting forums. It still exists in a few places, but I don't tend to use it as much anymore. Everyone pretty much knows me by my real name.

cbscreative
01-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Kristine, I think you should have left out the explanation so you could command more respect. LOL.

seolman
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM
It's interesting how people come up with their handles. I was a musician for years and I love the song "Soul Man". I've been in web design and SEO for years so I made up Seolman more as a joke than anything else but it kinda stuck so I've kept using it.

vangogh
01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
I kind of wondered where your username came from Dave. My old site and domain came from a Van Gogh painting, "The Yellow House" which is where he lived in Arles. It's also the place where he cut off his ear after an argument with Paul Gaughuin. By the way it was only the ear lobe and not the whole ear that he cut. The story has been exaggerated over the years, not that cutting off your ear lobe is the smartest thing to do.

Anyway when it came time to venture out online and come up with a username, vangogh seemed like a natural fit.

seolman
01-06-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't know... I always feel like cutting off my earlobe when I get angry. Am I the only one with these feelings? Hello..??

vangogh
01-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Sorry I can't hear you. I'm short one ear.

KristineS
01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Kristine, I think you should have left out the explanation so you could command more respect. LOL.

I'm guessing I can still command respect. I am, after all, "Queen of the Forum"

cbscreative
01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm guessing I can still command respect. I am, after all, "Queen of the Forum"

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word respect when it was intimidation you could have created. If we have you packing a sidearm next to Evan holding a baseball bat, dressed in biker leather, and sporting a prison tatoo, then no one would dare mess with you.

KristineS
01-07-2009, 05:03 PM
That's a disturbing picture you're painting there, Steve.

cbscreative
01-07-2009, 05:39 PM
If you cross reference with another thread (leather and tatoo were not my idea), it's actually our new anti-spam strategy I was referring to. There's no need to intimidate the members here, but as for the spammers, it's too bad intimidation wouldn't really work.

I think I will stop there though. I don't want to hijack Craig's intro thread.

Paul Elliott
01-13-2009, 04:00 PM
. . . and back to the subject . . .

Welcome, Formerly Toolman. I didn't know you on the old forum probably because I only got there about March 08.

Welcome back from the J.O.B. status.

Paul