PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one disgusted by all of the pop ups around the web?

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2013, 05:59 PM
It used to be an unwritten rule that you didn't throw a pop up in people's faces the minute they landed on your website. However these days that is all I see. From big publishers like Washington Post and MSNBC to small, crappy designed new websites. Seems like everyone is pop up crazy, asking you to sign up for, join, or connect via Social Media before you can even see what's on the page to insure that you even want to be there in the first place.

I have a very fast computer, and very fast internet connection and some of these media sites are so pop up and ad heavy that even on my desktop, with pop up blockers on my browser, it still takes 3-5 seconds or longer just to load all of the crap on the page

I can't go along with this as acceptable no matter how large and "respectable" the companies that do it, are. It is so annoying and it makes you not want to go back to the website.

Am I the only one that feels this way, or is everyone so used to it now that it doesn't even bother them?

billbenson
01-07-2013, 06:03 PM
It's a pain in the butt, but they must be having success monetizing the sites this way.

nealrm
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
They have to pay for creating the sites content, internet connect and support someway. Putting a major site on the web isn't free. Consider those popups as the admission price for the site. Either that or just don't visit those sites.

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2013, 07:29 PM
They have to pay for creating the sites content, internet connect and support someway. Putting a major site on the web isn't free. Consider those popups as the admission price for the site. Either that or just don't visit those sites.
I understand that as much as anyone. But can I at least see the site and it's content first before you start begging me to sign up for stuff?

And what the excuse with ecommerce sites? Have you seen the ones that won't let you shop until you sign in with Facebook or sign up for something?
What's up with that?

nealrm
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
When you sign in with facebook, they have your general information from your profile. They also have information related to other activities that you do with facebook. This allows them to customize the ads you see and makes the site more profitable.

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
When you sign in with facebook, they have your general information from your profile. They also have information related to other activities that you do with facebook. This allows them to customize the ads you see and makes the site more profitable.

I understand. So basically what you are saying is that it's going to be normal that you have to give up your personal information just to visit a website now. And this is good business.

nealrm
01-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I was just stating facts, not making a judgement on if I liked the practice. Personnel, I just move on to another site. As for this becoming the norm, only time will tell.

Wozcreative
01-07-2013, 08:25 PM
I haven't really noticed anything at all. Maybe because I'm on safari?
They aren't really an issue since I've started using Macs in 2006.

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Seems to me that the bandwagon syndrome is in effect.

As long as other publishers are doing it and getting away with it ( that they know of) , then everyone is going to do it until people start complaining that the internet is just one big information grab and no one cares about user experience or content anymore.

Ton of examples in business of the corporate bandwagon, and then after years of pissing people off or lost revenue they realize that it wasn't such a good idea.

Outsourcing Customer Service calls to countries where English isn't the first language comes to mind. Now it's a big selling point if you DON'T do that.

KristineS
01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm with you on this one Harold. I don't mind on site advertising, and I understand sites have to make money, but I hate being hit as soon as I land on the site. I'm also so tried of being asked to like the page on Facebook or Twitter. I'm even more tired of the dumb survey pop-ups that float in and ask me to take a short survey about my satisfaction level with the site before I've even looked at the site.

I don't mind advertising, or a badge letting me know they have a Facebook page or whatever, but the pop-ups that interfere with what I'm trying to read or watch really annoy me.

dianecoleen
01-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Pop-ups is really an annoying thing. But thanks to pop up blocker back then that help me reduce the pissed out of me. Although these pop ups had been more advance that it becomes more annoying to the point that the blocker can't do anything to block these pop up ads. What I just do is to search for the exit button of the pop ads and move on with the site I've clicked. I think the more the technology has been advance, the more it will pisses you off with so many ads. :)

There is also another thing that annoys me when it comes to pop ads. I just don't know how to close the pop ads on some YouTube videos I want to watch. There are some additional ads that had been popping before the main video plays that tends me to just closed the video and not to watch anymore. It frustrates me actually.

Alex1
02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Whoever invented popups should be tied to a chair and forced to watch TV while someone pokes his eyes with a fork every 2 seconds.

Freelancier
02-20-2013, 09:23 AM
I use adblock and most browsers have pop-up blockers, so I haven't had a problem with ads or pop-ups.

JL503
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM
I also use adblock and havent seen a single ad or popup since I added the extension on Chrome

Zerocool7
03-17-2013, 04:39 PM
I cant stand it when people make pop ups come up when you try to leave a website. It makes it hard to get out. I wont even use sites like this for anything even if they have something I need because its just so annoying.

libra
03-23-2013, 09:59 AM
I was just stating facts, not making a judgement on if I liked the practice. Personnel, I just move on to another site. As for this becoming the norm, only time will tell.
I even know of people who developed psychological hatred for pop-up ads to such an extent that they have the urge to take out their anger on their PCs by smashing them. That certainly does no good to the overall well-being and mental health of users of the Internet, albeit mostly only on a subtle level. But the damaging effect is no less real over a period of time.