PDA

View Full Version : I'm Still Here & Happy New Year

Blessed
01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
It's been a busy holiday season! My family spent 10 days with us - that was wonderful. We found out that we're expecting baby #2 by the end of June - that is also good news. Then hubby got laid off on Tuesday - that is BAD news... sigh. :(

Anyway - I just wanted to say hi! I'm still reading and commenting when I can but my online time to do what I like to do - this forum, blogging, plurk... has severely decreased for now. Hopefully things turn better again soon and hubby gets a new job quickly!

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I'm wishing you a great New Year!

billbenson
01-02-2009, 08:27 PM
If you feel like saying; whats hubby do? I might start a job thread as a new thread is appropriate. My wifes been out of work for 4 months (hasn't been looking that hard for work though).

cbscreative
01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Congrats on the news, and Happy New Year! As for hubby, just keep the attitude (and faith) that one door shut means something better is in store for you.

Blessed
01-03-2009, 03:48 PM
If you feel like saying; whats hubby do?

I don't mind saying! He does industrial maintenance, for the past three years he's worked as a manager/supervisor - primarily in the injection molding plastics field but he has worked in other areas as well - foundries, blow molding facilities, heavy equipment (big trucks, etc...) We've been expecting the layoff for awhile but weren't really expecting it to hit us until mid February at the earliest. Turns out his immediate boss was more willing to layoff a few people than to take a one month paycut - that's the option they were given, a one-month temporary paycut or layoff two or more people who work directly for you - unfortunately for us, Dave's boss picked the layoff. He has a "tentative" come back day of January 20th and benefits are unaffected until that date as well (yea we still have insurance!) but this company has been moving their production to Mexico so... we aren't holding our breath.

We would love to relocate further west - Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado... so we've mostly been looking out of state, now... we've already submitted a dozen resumes for local jobs, he's had a preliminary phone interview for one of them that would be an awesome position with a good company and we already know that he could go back as a tech at one of the places he used to work - they've been trying to get him to come back - but it would be a career step backward and a paycut so he'll do it if he has too but he's going to wait a week first and see if anything else starts happening.

I've looked a bit to see if there were any openings in my field and there aren't any advertised that I'm qualified for... as soon as Dave gets work again I think that means I have to get some basic web design learned so that I'm more marketable! I still just want to work from home - especially with baby #2 on the way - but learning web design would help my business out and then if we were ever in this situation again it would make it easier for me to find a job if I had to.

billbenson
01-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Las Vegas was always an economical spot. I think that has changed though. If you like the climate, some of the desert cities are really nice. Phoenix and Vegas come to mind. Albuquerque and a bunch of places in Texas. There are also places like Research Triangle in NC and Atlanta.

When I tried to find a sales job in 2003 or so, I found out that relocation doesn't really happen anymore. Yes for executive jobs, but not in general. If I applied for a job in Phoenix and lived in Iowa, I'd advertise "I live in Phoenix". Otherwise, in my experience you won't get any calls.

I applied for two jobs over the weekend. They were on a career builder email. I don't trust those emails. I think they pad the real jobs with fake ones to get some volume going. I'd also want to make a bunch more money that I am making now to change courses.It'll be interesting to see if I get an interview though. I'm well qualified for the jobs I applied for but to old. I'm just fishing and not sure I'd be suited to work for anybody else anymore.

Still, we'll see what if anything comes back from them. One was a manager of a PPC program. That's interesting as I could learn something. Other job was just a sales job. I've been a salesman since 1980. Doesn't bring much to the party.

If you are willing to relocate, there are some places out there that have good opportunities.

KristineS
01-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Happy New Year to you.

Before I got the job I have now, I was thinking I might move out of state. I did research on where I might want to live and then focused on about 10 cities. I used Sperling's Best Places (http://www.bestplaces.net/) and Google searches on the best places to live to make my list. I figured I wouldn't move at random, I'd try to move someplace that suited me, if I had to move.

It might be something to think about. If you're looking anyway, maybe try to find some cities that have a climate and industry that suits your needs. Can't hurt.

billbenson
01-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Have you ever thought about moving out of the country? There are a lot of nice places out there, and not all are in the US. I've lived in 4 different countries. Had my dog along as well, but I was single then.

KristineS
01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I did think about moving overseas when I was looking last time. Didn't ever get far enough to determine what the requirements would be, beyond the basic anyway. I'd love to live and work in Scotland or Ireland for a while.