PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for English chap!

cosmic
01-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Good morning/afternoon/evening guys.

Great forum.

I'm hoping to pick someone's brain.

The story is I own an energy brokerage in the UK. I want to look at the possibility of starting a energy brokerage in the US. The questions I need answering are:

How to register an American company being British and living in England
How to find self employed business consultants - obviously to get us business
Does anyone know whether suppliers are taking on brokers direct?

I would greatly appreciate anyones input and guidance.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ross

vangogh
01-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Welcome to the forum Ross. I'm not sure how helpful I'll be, since I don't know the energy business very well. I did some searching though and from what I can tell energy brokerage here works by State and you get licensed through each State's public utilities commission. Wikipedia has a list of them in all 50 states (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_utilities_commission). I think it's all 50. I didn't actually count. You'll have to click through to each state's Wikipedia page on and those there are links to each state's website.

You'll probably have to check each state site for details about what's required for a license. I'm not sure if you have to physically be here and of not how you would go about finding consultants. I did notice while searching though that some existing brokers here offered franchise opportunities so that may be another way in.

Hope that helps.