PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Know if You're On the Right Career Path?

vangogh
12-19-2012, 12:24 AM
I came across a post with a good message for entrepreneurs. Here's the post (http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2012/12/is-it-time-for-you-to-stop-dabbling-and-get-serious/). The message is summarized at the end with a rule of thumb.

If you can't make a serious 5-year commitment to a given career path, it's not your path.

That doesn't have to be specifically about someone starting a new business of course. I think one of the reasons many businesses fail in the first year or two is because they aren't really committed to making it work. There are a lot of good reasons for starting your own business. Because it's easy, isn't one of them. You have to be ready to invest something of yourself into making it work and not give up early if everything isn't going right. Those early mistakes are part of the process of getting it right down the line.

Just thought I'd share since I liked the quote.

Freelancier
12-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I think one of the reasons many businesses fail in the first year or two is because they aren't really committed to making it work.Biggest reason is that the business ran out of cash. People always underestimate that part.

As for the time commitment, I can attest that if you love what you do, you'll do it for a long long time. 35+ years so far for me and I don't see any reason to stop until I just no longer feel like working for a living.

vangogh
12-19-2012, 12:26 PM
I think running out of cash is definitely one reason, but I think it's more that people aren't committed to making things work. To me part of that commitment is taking the time to understand what you need to see the business through and part of that is understanding how much cash you'll need. I think people jump into business at times without fully understanding what's involved.

I'd also argue if you're on the right path and know it's your path you can find a way to overcome most any obstacle, even a lack of cash. There are ways to get financing for a business, whether it's from family and friends, banks, investors, etc. If you're truly committed to what you're trying to accomplish you'll find a way to convince others to invest in you. I think when people aren't so committed they aren't willing to take those extra steps needed to get what they want. Without you being fully invested in your path it's hard to convince others to invest and it becomes easier to let obstacles stop you. When you are fully invested you find a way to overcome obstacles and they become temporary roadblocks instead of something permanently in your way.

Wozcreative
12-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Great article! Dabblers is a great term for those that jump around from career to career, most totally unrelated to eachother.

huggytree
12-20-2012, 03:08 PM
i think the biggest reason people go out of business in the first 2 years is because they are lazy/make dumb decisions/dont plan very well

im actually shocked the %'s arent higher for failings

before i went into business i thought businessmen were the smartest people......some are.....but most arent...

billbenson
12-22-2012, 07:15 PM
I've heard that most millionaires have filed bankruptcy at least once. It doesn't surprise me. You don't know how to run a business unless you have done it at least once. Some people get lucky the first time, others don't.

vangogh
12-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Yep and I think that's what this is all about. If you don't have that commitment or the vision to believe you're on the right path, then you'll jump off the path when trouble hits. When you know you're right you'll stay on the path regardless of the obstacles in front of you.