PDA

View Full Version : CPA Fees

SouthernOfficeChairs.com
01-01-2009, 11:26 PM
What would the approximate "normal" fee be for a CPA's services to file your first S-Corp tax return? Ours should be fairly simple this year so I don't anticipate a lot of work involved but I've been advised (Thanks, Evan :))to have a professional handle it.
I know it depends on the individual, but do you guys know what would be considered average?
Looks like I have to do some CPA shopping and I have no idea what would be a "fair" rate.
Thanks so much!
SOC

Evan
01-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Hi again, SOC.

View http://www.small-business-forum.net/accounting-taxes/347-choosing-accountant-tax-preparer.html. This will certainly be resourceful to you as you hunt for a CPA, or other qualified tax professional. You may find a tax professional who is not a CPA but is perhaps more competent than some CPAs. And CPAs usually deal with certain areas, and there are some who will cringe with you at the thought of taxes.

Fees vary considerably based on geographical location and the tax professional you use. Those with higher levels of education or specialization in specific industries can be more expensive. You could be lucky and pay as little as $250-$350, or as high as $1,000-$1,500 depending on just how "easy" the return is.

Personally, I'd shy away from the "big" tax preparation places and use a smaller guy who will actually remember your name and appreciate your business. Make sure you discuss, up front, the costs before you begin the work.

The good news is that the tax preparation fees are deductible. Plus some preparers will do your personal taxes "free" with your corporate return.

SouthernOfficeChairs.com
01-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi again, SOC.

View http://www.small-business-forum.net/accounting-taxes/347-choosing-accountant-tax-preparer.html. This will certainly be resourceful to you as you hunt for a CPA, or other qualified tax professional. You may find a tax professional who is not a CPA but is perhaps more competent than some CPAs. And CPAs usually deal with certain areas, and there are some who will cringe with you at the thought of taxes.

Fees vary considerably based on geographical location and the tax professional you use. Those with higher levels of education or specialization in specific industries can be more expensive. You could be lucky and pay as little as $250-$350, or as high as $1,000-$1,500 depending on just how "easy" the return is.

Personally, I'd shy away from the "big" tax preparation places and use a smaller guy who will actually remember your name and appreciate your business. Make sure you discuss, up front, the costs before you begin the work.

The good news is that the tax preparation fees are deductible. Plus some preparers will do your personal taxes "free" with your corporate return.

:)
Thanks again, Evan!

Aaron Hats
01-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Talk with other small business owners in your area and get a recommendation from them. I never thought I'd pay almost $1000 to have my taxes done but our CPA is well worth it.

huggytree
01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
i just paid $365 for my end of the year forms...i pay $600ish per year.

the accountant is a friend and i may get a better deal because of it.

why spend hours/days when you could be spending that time on your business...pay the professional to do his job...add his invoice to your costs...your customers pay for the accountant..not you!