PDA

View Full Version : Start up: Need users opinions!

Computer Conquest
12-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi all,

My company is a start up trying to sell its software (http://getrummage.com)from our website.

We make file management and sharing tools for the SMB officer worker market.

Everyone is constantly downloading and using new software.
Whether its games on the iPhone or applications for work.

What I want to know is:

At what stages do you stop using an application once you have decided to give it a go?

Let me know you opinion on my poll (you can select more than one), or feel free to chat/debate here.

Thx

Harold Mansfield
12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I stop using an app for all kinds of reasons. If I pay for it, I'll generally give it more attention than a free app. I expect a paid app to work well and be easy to use, but that is not always the case. Therefore it takes a lot for me to buy something new, if it is not from a company that I've used before. Usually I'll ponder it for a few days before pulling the trigger.

I'm very leery of free apps from "strangers". Having to install 3rd party software is a turn off. Even with companies that I trust like MS or Apple, having to have Silverlight and Quicktime for everything is a real bummer. But they have built up years of trust with me, so I deal with it.

I hate apps that package 3rd party tools in with them. Toolbars and browsers come to mind. I'm so sick of everyone bundling Ask, Yahoo, or other toolbars and search engines with their downloads. When it's free, and there is an option not to install it, it's OK. But when it's forced on you, it makes me uninstall the software.

Anything that takes too long to download or install makes me nervous and I always assume it's doing more to my computer than I bargained for and I'll cancel the install.

KristineS
12-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I could stop using an app for any of the reasons you listed in your poll. Definitely with Harold on apps that bundle 3rd party tools like the Ask toolbar or something. If I want that, I'll download it. I've actually stopped installing apps because they required me to install some 3rd party crap I didn't want.

I tend to be very leery of apps from companies I don't recognize. Every once in a while I'll find a video or something that will want me to install an app from some unknown company to make it run better. I never do.

Apps that don't do what they claim to do or what I thought they could almost always get dumped. I don't want to waste space on my computer with stuff that isn't useful.

Computer Conquest
12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Indeed, lots of people tell me they hate the 3rd party app installations! I, myself, have often had to uninstall a toolbar that i didnt ask for!

What I meant to say, however, was:

"third party software that is a requirement for the application to run"!

Harold Mansfield
12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Indeed, lots of people tell me they hate the 3rd party app installations! I, myself, have often had to uninstall a toolbar that i didnt ask for!

What I meant to say, however, was:

"third party software that is a requirement for the application to run"!

Still not a big fan. If it's something like Adobe flash, or JAVA that's no problem because I already have that installed as does almost everyone else. But if I have to install something SOLEY for the purposes or running this and only this one application...I don't like that.

But it really depends on what it is. Like I said, I accept quicktime updates with my iTunes updates beause I love iTunes. But I actually hate quicktime and get annoyed when it attempts to start.

Steve B
12-14-2012, 03:31 AM
I have been told to never download any software off the internet - unless you like getting viruses.

Computer Conquest
12-14-2012, 06:15 AM
I have been told to never download any software off the internet - unless you like getting viruses.

^^ All opinions are valid.

I find this very strange. In this day and age it is impossible not to download. There are so many useful tools, games, browsers, and applications to download and enjoy. Yes there are viruses but it is not hard to avoid them. Make sure your Windows/Mac security definitions are up to date and you run scans regularly.

Not downloading due to fear of viruses is the akin to not getting into a car or crossing the road for fear of death. I can see by your profile that you use the internet a lot Steve. You dont download anything??

I accept quicktime updates with my iTunes updates beause I love iTunes. . How about Microsoft .NET?

Steve B
12-14-2012, 07:46 AM
I used to - then after a couple bad experiences I was advised not to download any software. It hasn't been that hard - I don't switch software often or desire to try new ones very often. When I need something, you can still buy them in a box. That also gives me an automatic back-up copy.

Harold Mansfield
12-14-2012, 11:19 AM
That's a little extreme. Actually the install disk is becoming a thing of the past. You can of course still get them, especially when you buy new hardware like a router, but online downloads are how most software is sold these days.

A lot of laptops are sold without disk drives, and on mobile devices downloads are the only way to install new software and apps. If you have a smart phone and play Angry Birds, you've downloaded software off of the internet.

You just need to know what you are doing. Common sources of viruses are free download and P2P sites, and Free Movie sites. Hands down those are nothing more than literal Trojan horses.

But there is no reason to get a lot of viruses if you are downloading and buying digital products from reputable sources.

How about Microsoft .NET?
I still don't know why I need so many versions and extensions of that. Nor do I really understand what it does. I thought it was for developers, but they force everyone to take it.

Steve B
12-14-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't know what I'm doing ... that's the problem.

MyITGuy
12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
I still don't know why I need so many versions and extensions of that. Nor do I really understand what it does. I thought it was for developers, but they force everyone to take it.

I'm assuming your familiar with PHP, its essentially the same.

PHP and .NET provide the framework and functions to use during programming.

If PHP updates to a new version, its likely to come with some new features you want to take advantage of, thus forcing you to upgrade. Same concept as upgrading from .NET2 to 3, 4 and etc...

nealrm
12-14-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm trying to understand what you are tying to learn from this poll. Every item you listed is a kill point for a program. The only thing the poll will give you is a ranking of items that you should already know are kill points. Instead of giving us a listing of aggravating items, ask questions that ask us to evaluate or compare different aspects.

Harold Mansfield
12-14-2012, 05:02 PM
I don't know what I'm doing ... that's the problem.

I'm sure you know more than you think. I'm sure you know software makers like Microsoft, Adobe, Intuit, and Google. Those are pretty trustworthy sources. I'm sure you'd be OK purchasing digital products from them through downloads.

Same with buying books via something like Kindle, or buying music through iTunes. Those are all "downloads off the internet".

successcoach
12-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Computer Conquest -

I stop using applications as soon as I suspect that they are interfering with my device. In other words they're buggy. I also stop using apps when they don't measure up to my expectations or how they were described prior to purchase. Fortunately I would say that as much as 90% of the app purchases I've made in the recent past - have performed as expected or even better. I hope this has been helpful. David

Hi all,

My company is a start up trying to sell its software (http://getrummage.com)from our website.

We make file management and sharing tools for the SMB officer worker market.

Everyone is constantly downloading and using new software.
Whether its games on the iPhone or applications for work.

What I want to know is:

At what stages do you stop using an application once you have decided to give it a go?

Let me know you opinion on my poll (you can select more than one), or feel free to chat/debate here.

Thx

billbenson
12-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Linux has its pro's and cons, but one thing I don't get is tool bars and other garbage when I download stuff :)

Computer Conquest
12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Thx for the responses everyone! keep them coming. I want to hear from you.

Harold: .Net is for developers for those that want to develop .Net applications. Most applications written using .Net require it to be installed on the computer.

Steve: Who does? :)