PDA

View Full Version : Nice guy getting stuck with inventory....

dereksbicycles
12-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Let's say that I'm trying to sell Bike #1 and Bike #2. Someone is interested in either one. They want your recommendation on which one is the best. Bike #1 is a hot seller. Bike #2 is not. I would persuade the buyer to buy Bike #2 because it's a slow seller. However, I decided to let nature play its course. I let the guy look over both and decide for himself which one is the best. He decides on Bike #1. I was a little bit disappointed. I was hoping he would buy Bike #2. SO Bike #1 is sold. It's gone.

SOmeone else contacts me asking to buy Bike #1. I had to tell them that it was sold.

Sometimes, I wish I would have talked to first customer about buying Bike #2, but I'm glad that I played the nice guy and let customer make their decision.

I bet you had this happen to you many times.

huggytree
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
i only stock items that i know sell...some may sit for a year and then i may need it 3x in a week

its always good to have 2 or 3 options for each catagory or item....low, medium, high.....75% of the people will choose the medium option if given a choice...i add extra markup onto the medium option

in your situation you may have to learn what to do with bike #2....do you discount it? do you push a poor product to get rid of it?

i recommend only selling the best....that will maximize your referrals and repeat customers

dereksbicycles
12-11-2012, 06:13 PM
i only stock items that i know sell...some may sit for a year and then i may need it 3x in a week

its always good to have 2 or 3 options for each catagory or item....low, medium, high.....75% of the people will choose the medium option if given a choice...i add extra markup onto the medium option

in your situation you may have to learn what to do with bike #2....do you discount it? do you push a poor product to get rid of it?

i recommend only selling the best....that will maximize your referrals and repeat customers

I did not discount either one. One sale done. On to next buyer. What works with one buyer may not work with other buyer.

nealrm
12-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Derek,
You need to learn a little more about pricing. If bike one is in higher demand, it is worth more than bike two. Price the 2 equally is just poor business.

Dan Furman
12-13-2012, 11:51 AM
The customer was asking you which bike is better for them, not which is better for YOU to sell. You did them a terrible disservice by not telling them which bike was truly better.

Don't be *that* type of businessperson. You can be honest and still make money.