PDA

View Full Version : NCAIS/SIC Code/Number application HELP!

TAC)_Man
12-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi,

I'm a new startup, and am registering for a Veteran's Grant through the VA. In order to do so, I need to get a NCAIS Code (Formerly SIC). In order to figure that out, I need to figure out exactly what type of business I am. (Which will also help for taxes).

Here's what I've done: I invented a firearm accessory product, and I'm having someone else make the actual product, then I'm going to sell it to companies, and to individual consumers.

I know I'm not a manufacturer, since I didn't actually make it, but retail doesn't seem to fit either, since I invented the product and designed it, I'm not just selling stuff. I'm also have more related inventions coming, that I'm going to sell, just trying to get the first one to market first.

Once that's figured out, what would my NCAIS code be?

Thanks in advance for help

ArcSine
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Note that in the second paragraph of the definition for "manufacturing" (http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/sssd/naics/naicsrch?code=31&search=2012%20NAICS%20Search), it seems that neither selling to the general public, nor having the actual assembling / mfg done offsite under contracts, precludes you from being in the "manufacturing" bucket.

If after reviewing the general definition you think "mfg" is the appropriate set, you can review the specific subsets here (http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/sssd/naics/naicsrch?chart_code=31&search=2012%20NAICS%20Search).

Hope that helps a bit, and best of luck with the new biz, Tac)_Man!

MyITGuy
12-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I would also agree that manufacturing may be the best bet...since you are currently handling the design and selling aspect. Long term the manufacturing is something you may want to bring in-house to reduce costs.

TAC)_Man
12-10-2012, 11:15 PM
I would also agree that manufacturing may be the best bet...since you are currently handling the design and selling aspect. Long term the manufacturing is something you may want to bring in-house to reduce costs.

Yes, I agree with you, that is ultimately what my plan is, to bring it in house. So far, the most expensive part is getting the molds made for the plastic. That's where I'm stuck at now, and why I'm looking to the VA for financial help.