PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Encrypted Footer Links from Word Press Themes

Harold Mansfield
12-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Many of us use free blog themes, either out of the box, or with modifications. I use a combination of both free and premium, but nothing burns my butt more than finding a nice free theme, and not being able to get rid of the sponsored links in the footer.

Note : I do recommend keeping the links of the designers and sponsors somewhere on your blog just out of respect. I just blend them in with the blog roll, or at the bottom of my "About" page.

If you have ever had that problem, I found a nice little tutorial that will help you break through that mess of code.

How to remove encrypted footer links from Word Press Themes. (http://www.wlug.net/remove-encrypted-footer-links-wordpress-themes/)

vangogh
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
I know what you mean. Generally I'll leave the credit if the end theme resembles the original at all. Sometimes I've customized them more than enough to consider it my own design.

There are times where you do have to leave in the footer links as part of the agreement to use the theme. Most of the time, though it's simply asked for and not required. It should never be forced on you and encrypted in an attempt to prevent you from doing anything with it. I find when that happens there's no agreement requiring you to keep the link. Just a developer that doesn't show you enough respect and instead decides to force something on you.

Finding and removing them isn't usually a problem for me, but I know some theme developers go out of their way to make it difficult. If you ever run into a theme where you can't remove the link send me the url where you can download it and I'll see if I can figure it out for you.