PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite file sharing app?

Computer Conquest
11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi,

Time for a poll I feel forum members!

File sharing and project collaboration is on the up.

Did DropBox start a craze? Maybe. But what percentage of us use it and what percentage use other tools?

I will attempt to find out who uses what, then make a new thread asking: "Why that tool and not this one?"

MyITGuy
11-27-2012, 02:00 PM
FTP Client, specifically SFTP (Or FTPS/HTTPS if needed) as the clients I work for need to transfer files securely and as their provider (As well as my own concerns) I'd rather have full control of the files rather than outsourcing them to someone else who may have lax security/backup standards.

Wozcreative
11-27-2012, 09:13 PM
FTP definitely.. but for the not so savvy I use dropbox or yousendit.com. Or I FTP and provide a link for download.

Pack-Secure
11-27-2012, 11:15 PM
docs.google.com is nice.

Computer Conquest
11-28-2012, 04:53 AM
FTP is more popular that I realised!

Keep the votes coming ladies and gents!

Wozcreative
11-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I realized you also mentioned project collaboration. Most of these don't offer good project collaboration other than just being file upload systems.

As someone mentioned, google docs is nice because it is free to use, but there are others such as basecamp (which I've used for few years but did not like). Wunderkit is a lot nicer to use though and the UI is beautiful!

Computer Conquest
11-29-2012, 11:37 AM
ok I will have a look at basecamp and wunderkit! thx.

vangogh
11-30-2012, 01:58 AM
I generally work on my own so there's not a lot of need for file sharing. Most of the time when a client and I need to share something the easiest thing is email. I have gone the FTP route and placed things on their server, but not every client of mine wants to deal with FTP.

Dropbox is something I'm currently using to exchange files with a site I'm writing for. They also use Basecamp, which is a pretty good way to have several members of a team communicate and share files. They have 60 day free trial if you want to check it out.

Freelancier
11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
We use dropbox and YouSendIt (as well as encrypted e-mail) to send/receive files with clients. They need something "stupid-simple" and secure, and both fit.

Harold Mansfield
12-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Personally, I hate it when I client makes me create an account on a file sharing service just to send me basic files that can be done as email attachments or uploaded via FTP. I think it's overkill when there's only 2 people working on a project.

AccountantSalary
12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
DropBox -- I've been using it for a couple of years and have yet to use enough to go beyond the free allocation. But then again, the files I deal with are text or document files.

Computer Conquest
12-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Some great points here.

I have also come across people not wanting to sign up for an account just to get a file. I am one of these people!

"stupid-simple" appears to be on many peoples lists. especially many people not IT savvy.

Do we think DropBox is stupid simple? what makes it so?

Keep the votes coming ladies and gentlemen. I hoped to get more votes than this! :)

MyITGuy
12-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Some great points here.

I have also come across people not wanting to sign up for an account just to get a file. I am one of these people!

"stupid-simple" appears to be on many peoples lists. especially many people not IT savvy.

Do we think DropBox is stupid simple? what makes it so?

Keep the votes coming ladies and gentlemen. I hoped to get more votes than this! :)

Taken from an article I read last night, and touches on some of the issues of using DropBox in a corporate environment.
Guess what Mr. CIO? One in five of your employees uses Dropbox at work — Cloud Computing News (http://gigaom.com/cloud/guess-what-mr-cio-one-in-five-of-your-employees-use-dropbox-for-work-files/)

Dropbox claims a whopping 100 million users — and its popularity is driven by the exploding use of smart phones and tablets to send, sync and share documents.

Computer Conquest
12-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Personally, I hate it when I client makes me create an account on a file sharing service just to send me basic files that can be done as email attachments or uploaded via FTP. I think it's overkill when there's only 2 people working on a project.

This is a good point.

What happens when 2 people are working on a file but one of them makes a change. Do you re-send the file each time there is a new version?

Out tool Computer Conquest - Software - Rummage: Quickly and effectively organise your files! (http://getRummage.com), automatically downloads the latest version of a file when a new one is uploaded.

rave
12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
I personally use Google Docs for word and excel. Then, Dropbox for images, music and videos.

Marcomguy
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM
I used to use yousendit, but after switching to Dropbox I don't have much need for YSI. On occasion, I upload via ftp and give the client the download link.

Harold Mansfield
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
This is a good point.

What happens when 2 people are working on a file but one of them makes a change. Do you re-send the file each time there is a new version?

I'm usually the only person ever working on a file, website, images or anything like that so there is no reason for me to resend a file back to anyone.

vangogh
12-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Same for me. I'm usually the only one working on files. For the occasional times I end up working with someone else, it's easy enough to work on something else while they work on particular files. By no means is that a good system, but the need hasn't been there.

What I'm looking to do in the coming months is set up version control through Git. It's not so much for the file sharing, but it should help solve the problem of multiple people working on the same files if and when it arises.

jim.sklansky
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Google doc is very useful. Dropbox is very efficient and Sky drive is very nice. That's why i vote these.