PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with New Blog

faisaljamal79
11-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi Faisal here want to get bit help on my new blog. I started my blog something relevant to online currencies,metals,stocks,general business trading guides/tips etc....I like to know up to how many contents/articles needed to get my site PR 3? How to get my site more attractive with Widgets etc? How to get started with SEO for new blog?

vangogh
11-23-2012, 08:52 AM
PR has nothing to do with how many articles you have. It's about other web pages linking to yours. You need more links pointing to your page to raise its PR. However you shouldn't set PR as a goal. PR is just a metric, it's not the end goal.

In general when it comes to content your goal is to create the best content you can for real people. If you do that most everything else should fall in line.

AccountantSalary
11-25-2012, 08:14 PM
PR is also a function of time and doesn't just happen overnight. It took my website about four months to get to PR 3, but as vangogh said, that wasn't the focus of my site. Writing useful content was.

vangogh
11-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Time definitely helps. PageRank is a measure of both the quantity and quality of links pointing to a web page. It takes time to build quantity and you generally have to work hard to get quality.

ozetel
12-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Hi

Is it just me or does this post look like a generated script? Forgive me if I am being untrusting! Just a word from over here in the land of Oz... Still the discussion on PageRank is still valuable. Appreciate your comments. I assume you relate PR similarly to keyword ranking then, in relation to links to your site? I am certainly getting the lesson of patience being a big factor in the whole world of SEO that is for sure!

vangogh
12-04-2012, 12:52 AM
It's quite possible.

When Google first came into being, their big change to search engines was to think about ranking pages the way scientific papers are seen. In scientific papers the most important are usually those most cited in other papers. The more those in your industry point to you as a source, the more likely you're an authority. When it comes to web pages Google looked at links to measure that kind of authority.

PageRank started as that measure and Google looks at both the quantity of links and their quality. If you do a search for PageRank formula you can find the something from the original patents. Quantity is easy to measure. You find the links and count them. That is until you include whether or not all the links you find should be counted. The quality part is harder to measure and there are even different kinds of quality that can be applied under different circumstances. For example Einstein was likely a lot smarter than the plumber who lives down the road from me. You'd probably trust Einstein's answers on most things and see him as more of an authority. However if I need to install a garbage disposal I'm calling the plumber down the road and will trust his advice more than Einstein. In this case I'd consider him more of an authority.

That example is meant to explain the difference between general authority and topical authority. PageRank is more a measure of general authority.

One important thing to know about PR is that the number you see in the little green bar isn't accurate. Google only updates it every few months at best. They update their own value for PR behind the scenes constantly. The PR we can see is only a rough measure. Also know that over time Google has been reducing the weight PR plays in their algorithms. A few years ago it played a very large role and the secret to ranking was to do anything to raise your PR. That's not the case anymore. It's not anything you have to actively worry about. People get caught in the trap of thinking the end goal is more PR when they should be focusing on other things.

marrick
12-23-2013, 02:37 AM
Hi Faisal here want to get bit help on my new blog. I started my blog something relevant to online currencies,metals,stocks,general business trading guides/tips etc....I like to know up to how many contents/articles needed to get my site PR 3? How to get my site more attractive with Widgets etc? How to get started with SEO for new blog?

If you want to leverage through your contents, you should make really interesting stuffs so that people will likely to share it and get links to your blog. You can also join some blogging communities and start showcasing your contents. That would help your site to get links and then eventually gaining PR to your page.

MedTutor
07-03-2014, 08:39 PM
"If you build it, they will come."

Just make an interesting and awesome blog and keep writing all the time - always write your best so that ppl will see how great your blog is. It will take time, it won't happen overnight!