PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Find The Blogs You Read?

KristineS
12-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I read a ton of blogs. Some are because of my affiliation with the OBS. Some are blogs that educate me and help me do my job better. Some blogs I read just for fun.

What I'm wondering is how people find the blogs that they read regularly. Did you see one blog recommended on another blog you already read? Do you read blogs you see on other people's blogrolls? Do you read the blogs of people who write comments you like? Do you search a term and read the blogs that come up in the search results?

I don't think there's any one way to increase readership and get your blog noticed. I'd just be interested in seeing how people found the blogs they currently read. It might be helpful for those of us who blog to know how other readers settle on blogs to read.

vangogh
12-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Lots of different ways. Initially I found some by searching and also recommendations I saw on sites and forums I was familiar with. Over time I follow a lot of links. Sometimes I see a guest post and follow it back to the author's blog. Sometimes it's a recommendation from a now trusted blogger. Sometimes it's following links on a commenter's name. Sometimes those names are in comments on my own blog. Sometimes it's following forum sig links. Sometimes it's following links posted on one social site or another.

I can go on.

In the beginning I was maybe subscribed to a couple dozen blogs. A few years later and I'm subscribed to a few hundred. How I got to this point was following many trails back to the blogger. Also repeated exposure to the blogger's site helps. I may not subscribe after reading one guest post, but when I come across the same author a few times over time I'm more likely to subscribe.

The best advice is to get your name out there as much as possible in as many place as possible. Ideally when you do you'll get a link back. Even better is building relationships with people who may link to you on their own.

KristineS
12-29-2008, 03:42 PM
The best advice is to get your name out there as much as possible in as many place as possible. Ideally when you do you'll get a link back. Even better is building relationships with people who may link to you on their own.

I think building relationships is so important. It's hard to blog in a vacuum. It really helps when you have other bloggers to support you.

vangogh
12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Absolutely. I think the secret is there really any secrets. It simply takes time to make the right connections. One comment on one blog isn't going to drive much if any traffic, but several hundred comments on a few dozen blogs will start driving traffic month after month.

orion_joel
12-29-2008, 11:55 PM
I dont really read that many the occasional one i will have read a few times, however there is not actually many i seem to return to often.

Cannot really figure why i dont seem to revisit many though.

Harold Mansfield
12-30-2008, 12:05 AM
This my sound strange, but i don't have time to read anyone's blog regularly. I may stop by an occasional blog where someone on a forum has pointed out an article, or if I follow a sig link, but, for the most part...the only reason I search out other blogs is to research competitors.

I am definitely a drive by reader. If something catches my eye, I will read through it, but probably not return much since I am so far behind on my own blogs.

greenoak
12-30-2008, 07:19 AM
for me its mainly from the forums and then blog hopping....i have found a lot of neat blogs from a blogs list of others blogs.....i dont go back to most...i go back for great talk and eye candy....
..and i dont get the comment thing...in the shabby world, its rampant and not very sincere..i dont know why they do it...i really guess they dont buy from each other....
.. my buyers have to come here to indiana so maybe i just dont get involved in some things i would if i were selling on line....
to me its kind of like exploring...and i get bored easily and have heard and read a lot of the basic theory of most of my interests so im looking for a lot deeper , more intersting discussion than i usually see.....and dont want to read about kids or recipes...and i never believe get rich quick....

for mine i love it when a customer comes in and says im sorry you sold your carterpillar....or other info from my blog.... im making some connections......
every forum ive been on , except this one, has led to a few big instore sales...big meaning over 1000.... and i think the blog should help that happen more because of the quantity of pictures and more background and store philosophy..... i dont expect buyers from this forum of course.... ...

MosheC
02-26-2016, 05:47 AM
Most blogs I read today where found through other blogs. For example, I found smart passive income through the moz blog.And it keeps expanding that way.

seanfalconer
04-12-2016, 07:13 PM
I read a ton of blogs. Some are because of my affiliation with the OBS. Some are blogs that educate me and help me do my job better. Some blogs I read just for fun.

What I'm wondering is how people find the blogs that they read regularly. Did you see one blog recommended on another blog you already read? Do you read blogs you see on other people's blogrolls? Do you read the blogs of people who write comments you like? Do you search a term and read the blogs that come up in the search results?

I don't think there's any one way to increase readership and get your blog noticed. I'd just be interested in seeing how people found the blogs they currently read. It might be helpful for those of us who blog to know how other readers settle on blogs to read.

I tend to stumble onto new blogs when I'm researching a specific problem or topic. I'll start by searching Google for information about the problem/topic, and that will often lead me to a blog. Then if the blog is particularly impressive and relevant to what I'm working on, I'll start using it as a regular resource.

Also, a lot of the time the content of a good post will lead me to other blogs that are linked within that post. I think that's probably the most common scenario for me.

Great question.

Cheers.

extramile
01-12-2017, 09:09 AM
Usually when i google a question, i see the same sort of blogs answering it. So naturally i graviatate to the ones i know will deliver the best article.

Skydog
02-16-2017, 10:03 AM
I don't subscribe to any blogs, I usually just search Google. However, taking a look at successful blogs I think it's all about making those connections. It would be hard to compete via SEO with the amount of blogs out there, so maybe social media would be your best bet! By any means, I'd Google it and see what you can learn!

WarrenD
04-05-2017, 03:29 AM
I think these days most bloggers search engine optimize their blogs and also promote them on social media. Most of the blogs that I follow, I found them on social media channels like Facebook or Twitter. I also occasionally use Google when I'm searching for specific types of blogs e.g. travel blogs

Harold Mansfield
04-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Just an update from when this post was started.

Increasingly I lean more towards podcasts and You Tube channels these days. I find new ones to listen to or blogs to read from the ones I already read/follow, and on Twitter when they post something from a good source. The more I learn the more I see.

vangogh
04-05-2017, 04:31 PM
I don't think my way to find new blogs, podcasts, etc. has changed much over the years. I search to find new ones based on a topic, find a few I like and then follow their recommendations. I always add new blogs when I come across one I think I might like and periodically I unsubscribe from those that I didn't care for that much over time or because my interests have changed.

WarrenD
04-07-2017, 03:42 AM
I find myself increasingly using YouTube too, but not podcasts for some reason. I've tried podcasts of publications like social media examiner etc, but they're usually too long and I've found it much more convenient to just read through their transcript.

grayson
04-16-2017, 10:12 PM
I always google for tips and tricks and the majority of time the results will point to a blog post. Of course I click around a bit, and if it seems interesting, I will click the subscribe button! :)

DennisW
05-31-2017, 05:09 PM
I usually find blogs when I'm looking something up. I end up finding most of them through articles or in forums. Usually if the title is catchy enough or if I'm drawn to the content I'll click around and find other blogs.

Darcie-amber
06-06-2017, 12:08 PM
I might be wrong, but someone was telling me about an app called Hubhopper which gives you news and content on all kinds of topics together in one place – you just have to choose what your interests and your favourite publishers. It doesn't hurt to give it a try :)

mattkuter
06-06-2017, 11:00 PM
I'm pretty old school and still use RSS to read blogs regularly. I usually add mine organically such as when I am searching for information online and stumble across a blog that I really like. I use Feedly to manage my RSS feeds and they have some really good discovery tools build in so I also use that quite a bit.