PDA

View Full Version : Creating an Online Portfolio

Jagella
12-28-2008, 01:50 PM
I'd appreciate some pointers about building an online portfolio of some of the illustrations, ads, and other graphics I've been working on. Should the portfolio be restricted to one Web page? If I use a standard HTML file to present the portfolio, should I create that page with the same layout as my site's other pages? Might a PDF file be appropriate for an online portfolio? What size, both in pixels and storage space, should each graphic be? Should each graphic have the same aspect ratio, say 1:1? Do I ask too many questions? ;)

Thanks!

Jagella

vangogh
12-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't think there's any rules about how to present your portfolio online. To me the most important thing is to select for display images that are representative of what you can do.

If you have enough work to justify it I think it's fine to have your portfolio be on more than one page. You could have one for logos and one for illustrations and one for web, etc.

I like to display thumbnails on one page that open into a larger image for people who want a more detailed look. You can use a script like lightbox (http://www.lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/) to show off the images. Lightbox is pretty easy to use and it creates a nice and now familiar image gallery.

Jagella
12-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the response, Steve.

I think I may create a page with thumbnails. One option might be to make the thumbnails very small and open a new page when clicked. Another option may be to make them fairly large to begin with. I'll try checking some other sites to see how they do it.

Jagella

vangogh
12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't make the thumbnails too small. Make them big enough so you can still see the image. Then make them links that open into larger images so your visitors can get more details.

No real rules you have to follow, but the idea is obviously to show off your work and have it look as appealing as possible.

KristineS
12-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure what would be involved in this, but what about having a slide show function. I'm talking about a link or something that people could click that would lead them to a slide show of your work. I suppose you'd also have to have a static display for those people who didn't want to scroll through all the slides, but a slide show can be a nice way to display your work.

Just a thought.

vangogh
12-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I think lightbox can be set up as a slideshow. I know it can be set up to open your images as a gallery where you click to the next image. The slideshow part is just automating the clicking next part.

Jagella
12-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure what would be involved in this, but what about having a slide show function. I'm talking about a link or something that people could click that would lead them to a slide show of your work. I suppose you'd also have to have a static display for those people who didn't want to scroll through all the slides, but a slide show can be a nice way to display your work.

Kristine, I was just looking at Steve Chittenden's portfolio (http://cbscreative.com/grportfolio.htm) today, and I see he uses Flash to move the graphics in and out of a small picture frame. That way he uses up less space to show off his work. I've just started to use and learn Flash CS3, so I'll need to see what I can do to use it in my own portfolio and other work.

Jagella

thx4yrtym
12-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Perhaps you've seen this but it's just one alternative....
Jalbum - Photo album your way - Free Jalbum web album software - Share albums with friends (http://jalbum.net/)

Another is an example of a gallery using Spry ....

Angela Matteson - Illustrations & packaging design - (http://www.angelamatteson.com/)

and a third uses a gallery from Projectseven...
All about Angela Matteson (http://www.angelamatteson.com/mygallery.php)

the last one is just an example using images I took from our garden to show to a client.

The most flexible of the bunch would be the spry approach .

Best of luck,

Gregg

Jagella
12-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the advice, Gregg. I see that “Spry” is featured in Dreamweaver CS3's What's New section of its help file. I'll have to check it out.

Jagella

vangogh
01-12-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure how important it is to have a downloadable resume. Unless you're looking for a job a resume is pretty useless. I stopped having a resume when I went into business for myself and don't have any intention of creating a new one.

I do agree it's important to keep any site consistent across pages and I agree all sites should have an about page and not overlook their footer.

As for being easy to be found on social networks I do think it's a good idea, but I won't call it necessary.

SteveC
01-12-2009, 12:55 AM
I have to agree on the Resume issue... people seeking jobs need resumes not those seeking to gain work on a project by project basis... these people need a good quality portfolio presented in a highly professional manner... and given the nature of the graphic design industry those that present their information the best will generally gain more and better paid work.... just my opinion of course.

vangogh
01-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Granted if you are looking for a job then a resume might make sense, though even in that case, I suspect your portfolio would count more toward getting an interview than the resume would.