PDA

View Full Version : Paying all of my business taxes in one place?

JessicaLee
11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I am a bookkeeper, well... pretty much the personal assistant to a man who owns a few sole prop.s and an S corp. I pay an accountant to pay and file the personal taxes, but the rest of the year I am responsible to pay all of the business related taxes such as payroll taxes and sales tax. I know when they are supposed to be paid, how much and to whom, but I wonder if I am going about it in the most efficient way. I use Intuit products, but my boss does not want to pay the extra fee for the payroll and sales tax software. Is there a free or relatively low cost alternative to the intuit tax software that I can use to keep track of and pay all the taxes (except personal) through out the year that also prepares all of the documents for me (meaning, uses information I input throughout the period to prepare the required tax document). Considering I am not an accountant (while I am educated in business) I do not know where to look for these things, nor do I know where to begin.

MyITGuy
11-14-2012, 03:41 PM
What do you determine to be low cost, and how many employees are you accounting for?

I personally use Intuit Payroll (http://payroll.intuit.com/payroll_services/online_payroll.jsp) and pay $25/mo which includes my direct deposits, tax form preparation which electronic submitter and payment handling. I spend less than 15 minutes a month on my payroll/taxes....

nealrm
11-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Check with your state, they may have an online tax payment site. But you will still need to fill in the forms and keep track of when the payments are due. At $25 a month (depending on company size) you are not going to get much cheaper.

Will Frei
11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Not sure about payroll, but taxrates.com allows you to download free sales tax rate tables Resources Sales Tax | TaxRates.com (http://www.taxrates.com/resources/)

It's not as easy and sophisticated as full automation (like AvaTax), but it's cheap.