PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing Software

Aaron Hats
12-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Can anybody recommend an easy to use video editing software? I want to create some product demos and need some simple editing like cutting out mistakes and adding our logo. I'm doing some research online but like to hear real life user opinions before I buy.

Thanks,

Aaron

cbscreative
12-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I can only offer limited help since I don't do video, but I have done sub work for a VE company. The industry standard is Final Cut Pro, but insiders will tell you that you need to be using Mac for real editing.

Since I'm pretty sure you are a PC user, and I believe you are already using Photoshop, something like Adobe After Effects or Premier Pro might meet your needs. If it's really simple editing, then the Windows Movie Maker already on your PC could suffice. Adobe is not quite up to the Final Cut Pro standard, but I doubt you would need any editing ability that AE or PP can't handle.

If you are using any of the Adobe CS3 suites, you could get upgrade price ($600) on Production Premium (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/?promoid=DNOWL) which would provide all the video editing ability you could possibly need.

SteveC
12-27-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure about this but most of the schools around here are PC based and I believe they use Adobe Elements or something similar sounding from Adobe... it's basically a cut down version of Premier Pro and is much easier to use.

orion_joel
12-27-2008, 06:07 PM
I have only done a small amount of editing, mainly just cutting bits out and adding some titles. I used one called Cyberlink Powerproducer Gold, i think it was called. Did everything i needed, and i would think should extend to you adding in your logo.

mr.ro
12-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Wow I just went through this I bought a flip camera (which is awsome) and needed software to edit the videos other than the one it came with. Just for simple stuff windows movie make works great, there are some hacks you can use to add a logo if you google for them. I was surprised at how easy it works since you know it "microsoft made" but I think you should try it before you buy anything.

Would be helpful if you know what format your recording as well since some formats don't play well with certain video editing software. I found out the hard way. So don't make my mistake.

KristineS
12-28-2008, 10:14 AM
We use a software called Pinnacle Studio. It's pretty advanced, but it does everything you would want it to do. It's what we use to create all our videos.

One thing I do know about it is that it's a resource hog, so you do need a pretty powerful computer to run it.

Aaron Hats
12-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I can't believe I didn't think of the obvious. I found Windows Movie Maker on my new laptop so I'll try that first.

mr.ro, If you have time to write a review of that flip camera I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to read it.

Thanks everyone.

Aaron

mr.ro
12-30-2008, 06:23 PM
You know I never thought of writing a review for this camera. I will do that and post it here later so people who want to buy it can't read my .02 on it.

OldJack
12-30-2008, 08:02 PM
I have used "Roxio Easy Media Creator" for years and edit rock band videos I take with two pro HD 1080i Sony cameras. The videos are usually 1 hour to 2 hours in length. I overlay clips from one video camera tape over the other camera video making it look like a switch from one camera to the other during live videoing. I then burn the edited video to a DVD to give to the band members. The software is cheap and user friendly. Like most software good documentation is lacking but with trial and error you can do most anything.

FormerlyToolman
01-03-2009, 08:22 AM
I will put in a vote for Pinnacle Studio as well. It really will do a lot!

Marcomguy
01-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I've used both Roxio and Sony Vegas Pro - recommend both of them. Roxio has a library of background music that you can add to your video with a couple of clicks, and the program automatically adjusts the length of the music to match your video.