PDA

View Full Version : Concept Review

the goat
12-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Everyone, I wasn't sure where to put this as it is sort of a website review, but more of a concept review, so I hope this is the right place.

A few friends and I have decided to collaborate on an idea we've had for a while now. We are doing a blog that will be a free step by step tutorial on building successful affiliate marketing websites.

It is literally going to read like a lesson plan and detail every possible step. We have wanted to do this because it seemed like when we were learning, people were either very guarded or very expensive with information. It is out there and we found it, but we just feel like to have it all in one place in chronological order would have been like a godsend to us when starting out.

Anyway the site is up and we were hoping to get feedback on the concept. Basically we're looking to make sure the copy on the site is getting the point across of what the site is going to be and do before we start telling the world.

The site is http://www.startupaffiliates.com

Thank you so much for any feedback or suggestions

vangogh
12-27-2008, 12:12 PM
I moved the thread into website review. Even though you're look more for a review of the concept I figured it was still better here.

I think the concept is a good one, though there are certainly a lot of affiliate marketing blogs out there already. Success is going to depend on the usual. How you differentiate yourself, your marketing, the quality of content, etc. The concept though seems fine. Seems like your goal is to write a beginner 101 guide to affiliate marketing. Most of the ones I've seen are usually filled with affiliate links or links to the sites own products. Most tend to come across a little sketchy, but I don't think you're going down that same path, which is good.

Are you going to monetize the site solely through AdSense? Or will there be affiliate links later or maybe some other form of monetization?

You're asking for people to register, but I'm not sure what the benefit of registration would be to me. Is there extra content only registered members see? Maybe a private form to join?

Two things kept coming to mind as I was reading lesson 1. I wondered if an ebook was a more appropriate format. Seems like you're planning on delivering content in a linear fashion as in a course on affiliate marketing. The other thought is if it going to come across as a course on affiliate marketing, why not make it a membership site. Offer general content on the blog and reserve specifics for those who pay to join.

the goat
12-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Sorry to make more work for you vangogh.

Thanks for your feedback, some great points in there.

The goal is to be the complete opposite of all the AM blogs out there. We really aren't even concerned with monetizing it. Sure we will use affiliate links if they are 100% relevant to the particular lesson or step, but never will we use one for a product or service we don't use ourselves and are pleased with them.

This idea truly came from wishing someone would have done it this way for us when we were starting out. A free site with an exact how to, in chronological order with nothing but good advice regardless of who it is affiliated with would have been great to find for me a few years ago I know that. It is a giving back thing first and a money maker second.

I thought of the ebook thing also, but I just flat out hate ebooks and I think they have a negative connotation with many people. The idea is to help as many people that want it and I think an ebook may turn some people off. We also want to keep it absolutely free for any and all members. You are totally right about needing an incentive to register though. I changed the opening paragraph to mention that anyone who is registered will also get online support, meaning they can ask us any questions about the current lesson and get an answer that day.

Honestly it's not a big deal really if people do register as we aren't charging for it anyway, it is more just so that we know what we are doing is being used by people and not just a futile gesture.

Sorry to ramble, thanks again for looking.

KristineS
12-28-2008, 10:24 AM
The site itself is pretty bland. Are you going to add pictures and stuff where appropriate? I know the focus is supposed to be the information and the lesson, but graphics and photos do help.

The content, what there is of it so far, is pretty good. The writing isn't totally professional, but I think that works in this case. I get the sense that you were aiming for sounding like "regular Joe" kind of people and you achieved that.

My sense is that your challenge going forward is going to be proving that you can supply the information for which people are looking. I'm also wondering how well the linear format will work over the long haul. If you go for forty or fifty posts are people really going to read them one after another?

Are there any plans to make a condensed version of the information or maybe put it in video form?

vangogh
12-28-2008, 11:55 AM
No worries about the extra work. I can see why you thought it might not be best as a website review. Moving the thread took all of 5 seconds.

If you're not concerned with monetizing the site that changes some things. In that case I think it's good what you're doing. I'm still learning the affiliate game so I'll likely be one of your readers.

This idea truly came from wishing someone would have done it this way for us when we were starting out.

That single statement tells me the site will be successful. You're not the only one who wishes that kind of site existed and it shows your motivation is to provide something useful first and foremost.

I assume even if you aren't planning on directly monetizing the site, that there's still some incentive for you beyond being helpful. Maybe driving links from this site to other sites or building your brand.

I hear you about the reputation of ebooks. I don't think an ebook has to be bad by default though. Since you're planning the site to be chronological it really does fit in nicely with an ebook. You could after a few months or at the end of the year offer an ebook for free that's simply the same content on the site. Let people download and share it with others. It could be a great way to spread your message and your brand.

If you do want to monetize the site down the road, naturally advertising and affiliate links could be part of that. Do look into the idea of a membership site. The main site could offer the free beginner advice and you could charge for more advanced information and tools to help people in their affiliate business.

the goat
12-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Kristine: First, thank you for taking the time to look. Yes the site is bland, as far as images, there just weren't a whole lot that came to mind. We don't really see a need for those stock images of the random three people sitting around a table and we really couldn't think of any pics that were useful for the content. We are really trying to emphasize that this is a no frills, no nonsense, get it going guide. I don't mean to say it shouldn't have images, I am more saying that I am not sure what kind would be relevant to what we are trying to do. Any input would be awesome, because I do agree, the site is very plain!

On the writing, yes and no, it is not intentionally less professional, it is just that we are trying to be as "conversational" as possible and trying not to write for the sake of it being great writing. We just want people to be comfortable.

You are spot on about convincing people that we will actually deliver what we are proposing, and we are quickly realizing that doing so may be the biggest hurdle here. The problem is that we will never be selling ourselves as some "superaffiliate", that is just not what we are trying to do at all. We are just trying to put together a step by step course, using the techniques we've been successful with to help people get to the point where they make some money too.

This really truly came from an idea I had back when I started out. I always said that if I actually got to a point where I made money from this that I would start this site. I have a few people that think the way I do and want to share their knowledge and we have some time so here it is. Unfortunately I never realized how many sites there are that do this under the guise of trying to help people, but are really just vulture sites preying on getting links.

vangogh: I really appreciate that you see that we are really just trying to do something helpful, and I can sincerely say that it was never intended to be a money maker. The absolute only reason I put it out here was because I hold this community in a very high regard and I saw it as a way to gauge whether or not this concept would be taken as just another affiliate site cloaked as a "help site". As always your feedback and advice has been incredibly helpful and insightful.

Unfortunately we have put this out there a bit and I don't think there is any way to convince anyone that we are truly wanting to help them and not gain from them.

vangogh
12-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I think you can get across the idea that you're motivation is to help instead of making money with the site. It's really simple too. Don't place ads on the site and don't link to affiliates. At first people will doubt you and assume that sooner or later you'll be asking for money, but in time they'll come to trust that the site is simply intended to help.

the goat
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I think that is a good idea about the advertising, I am going to take down the adsense, and I was thinking I would make sure anytime we use an affiliate link, we put a disclaimer and a non affiliate link too. In reality the only time we would ever do it is when suggesting merchants, we will never recommend any ebooks, products that cost money or anything of that ilk. Maybe that will help with credibility.

KristineS
12-29-2008, 12:38 PM
I think you can convince people over time, just as Vangogh says, but it will take a while to do that. There are a lot of people who use affiliate site information or training as a way to scam people and there will probably always be people who are wary. That doesn't mean the idea is bad.

Investigate some ways to publicize the site. Do some writing for other reputable blogs that talk about affiliates. Join some forums and post about your site. If you consistently release the same message, we just want to help people, and then back up your message with your actions people will come around. It may take a while, and only you can determine if it's worth the time, but I'd hate to see this idea lapse this early. I think you have a great philanthropic impulse going. I'm betting it could work.

billbenson
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I didn't see this thread until now.

On the ads, why not set a cookie and display the ads for repeat visitors?

While there is a lot of affiliate info out there, its not easy to get reliable info. Its also industry specific. As you know, from a thread I started yesterday, I'm interested in doing it. I've been thinking about it for some time. Currently I just have online stores. I've done some research, but not recently. A good reference is always good.

Personally, I'd break it up into a site format, rather than a blog format. It's just easier to navigate.

Things I'd like to see are good affiliate markets, good affiliates, site strategies, multiple revenue streams...

I'll bookmark the site as its something I'm planning on doing next year!

the goat
01-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Well we have over twenty people signed up so we are pretty excited about this. We also decided to pick out two people from the registered members to use as case studies. We will be available every day to them as consultants.

The idea is that not only would we be really helping the chosen two, but it will also add the running diary of the construction of an affiliate marketing site dynamic to the tutorials.

We are really excited for this!

P.S. Is it a totally tacky thing to ask people to use the sociable icons to help spread the word?

Harold Mansfield
01-02-2009, 08:46 PM
P.S. Is it a totally tacky thing to ask people to use the sociable icons to help spread the word?
The way I put is : "Bloggers should be versed on the use of Social Bookmarking mediums, and should have their own registered accounts on their favorites." :D

vangogh
01-03-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't think there's anything tacky about it either. I think most people don't use the social icons as they likely have their favorite way to submit and vote on content. But I think the icons can help remind someone to bookmark the page and so may lead to increased submissions and votes.

Now I wouldn't use every icon there is on your site. Pick a few. If you want more use a drop down.