PDA

View Full Version : Hosting and Dedicated Hostings.

angelajason06
11-06-2012, 05:04 PM
What is the Difference B/w Hosting and Dedicated Hosting???

Please Answer Expert.!

MyITGuy
11-06-2012, 05:46 PM
What is the Difference B/w Hosting and Dedicated Hosting???

Please Answer Expert.!

Shared Hosting - A single server used to host hundreds/thousands of customers
Semi-Dedicated Hosting - A single server used to host dozens of customers
Dedicated Server - A single server that is allocated to a single customer to use as they see fit
Virtual Private Server - A single server that is split up into several virtual servers using various forms of software/technology. Depending on the technology used, the server resources can be shared among the server customers, or dedicated specifically for their use

Hope this helps!

Freelancier
11-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I'd clarify the above a bit this way:

Shared hosting is multiple companies using the same web server on a single server, so if one customer -- or three customers -- starts grabbing lots of resources, your share of the server decreases by the same amount and you have no control over that.

Dedicated - your software is the only software on the server. It's like your desktop. You are the only person using that desktop at one time, so it's dedicated to you.

VPS - this is a bit more complicated. From your perspective, a VPS will look like a dedicated server. However, the hardware is often shared with other VPSes, you just don't see that. Think of it as a dedicated slice of shared hardware. No slice can expand beyond its purchased amount, so if there's another client with a VPS on the same server, any spike in demand for that VPS's resources don't come from your slice.

nealrm
11-07-2012, 09:36 AM
There is also cloud server. There are like VPS but have dedicated disk i/o, CPU, and memory allotments.

MyITGuy
11-07-2012, 11:32 AM
VPS - this is a bit more complicated. From your perspective, a VPS will look like a dedicated server. However, the hardware is often shared with other VPSes, you just don't see that. Think of it as a dedicated slice of shared hardware. No slice can expand beyond its purchased amount, so if there's another client with a VPS on the same server, any spike in demand for that VPS's resources don't come from your slice.

Like you said, this one is a bit more complicated...however due to overselling and burst rates, your resources such as CPU, Memory or Disk space/speed may not be available when you need it, or can be negatively impacted.

MyITGuy
11-07-2012, 11:35 AM
There is also cloud server. There are like VPS but have dedicated disk i/o, CPU, and memory allotments.

The technology is similar to VPS, but they have the ability to dynamically resize your resources on the go....but again, depending on the technology the resources may not be dedicated to your VPS and you may not have access to the full resources you pay for.

Although you have to be careful with the term "cloud server"...allot of providers have their own understanding/deployment of this technology. Some providers just rebrand VPS's as "Cloud Servers" as marketing hype, others have some redundancy/flexibility using 2 servers and a SAN from a single location, others offer true cloud solutions using multiple servers, networks, storage arrays spread across multiple locations.

nealrm
11-07-2012, 12:25 PM
True, you do have to watch out. But if done correctly, cloud servers have dedicated memory, CPU, disk i/o, and bandwidth i/o. If they don't it is just re-branded VPS.

angelajason06
11-07-2012, 05:08 PM
You all are talking about Server.. What is Server???

Please answer. :(

nealrm
11-07-2012, 05:27 PM
The server is the computer that runs your website. It is the host. For dedicated hosting your get the computer (server) all to yourself. For shared hosting you share a computer (server) with others. If the case of VPS and Cloud servers you share a group of computers (servers).