PDA

View Full Version : Have not been doing business for five years and ready to start up again

Gracious
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
May I continue to do business under the same fictious name and business license, if I have not done business in 5 years?

MyITGuy
11-05-2012, 04:17 PM
May I continue to do business under the same fictious name and business license, if I have not done business in 5 years?

What state/county are you located in?

I'm going to assume that you did not renew the license or fictitious name in that 5 year period, so I am going to say no. You would have to re-register your license and name, assuming they are still available.

Gracious
11-06-2012, 01:17 PM
California/Riverside

No I did not re-register my license and name. First is confirming both are still available, okay.

Gracious
11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
What state/county are you located in?

I'm going to assume that you did not renew the license or fictitious name in that 5 year period, so I am going to say no. You would have to re-register your license and name, assuming they are still available.

Once I re-register the license and fictious name this year, do I file as self-employed on my taxes for 2012 or do I wait til January?

MyITGuy
11-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Once I re-register the license and fictious name this year, do I file as self-employed on my taxes for 2012 or do I wait til January?

Those questions would be better answered by your accountant who is familiar with your business/tax structure

daveM
11-17-2012, 10:11 AM
some of your questions are going to depend how you filed returns after you stopped doing business...... perhaps you did not formally close the business, definitely seek advice from the accountant.