PDA

View Full Version : Components of a Good Review

KristineS
12-26-2008, 01:12 PM
It seems to me that I've been seeing a lot of things lately that say they are reviews of a product or service, but are really thinly disguised sales pitches. I have to say this annoys me. When I read a review of something, I want it to be informative and I expect it will help me form an opinion about the product or service being reviewed. If it doesn't do that, it's useless to me.

I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion about what should be in a good review. I'd also like to know what factors have an impact on how much weight you place on a review.

First, what should be in a good review. In my opinion, the review has to contain an opinion. That's the most important thing. If the review is simply, hey look at this new thing, it's not a review, it's simply publicity. A good review should help me form an impression of a product.

Second, one thing that impacts how much weight I place on a review is the reputation of the person or persons doing the reviewing. As an example, let's say Wired magazine is reviewing new computer gadgets and so is Joe's Computer Blog. I'll probably place more emphasis on and trust in Wired's review, because I know and like the magazine.

What about the rest of you? What do you think should be in a good review? What factors impact how much weight you'll give a review?

cbscreative
12-26-2008, 03:37 PM
I think you hit on an important one with the reputation of the reviewer. Knowing they are not financially motivated or biased helps a lot.

So to add to your list, I think an honest evaluation of both pros and cons is helpful. Advertising and marketing is all about focusing on benefits. A review should cover "the good, bad, and ugly" to be complete.

vangogh
12-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Honesty is really the most important component of a good review. Above all else you need to trust the reviewer to give you an honest opinion or at least share where they may be biased.

It doesn't really make a difference to me if someone likes or dislikes what they're reviewing. Either can still be helpful. Fairness would still be good. Very little is either 100% good or bad. Most things will have some good and some bad and both should be pointed out. I think it also helps to keep personal opinion out of it. Naturally any review is going to have opinions, but the more you can present the facts and leave yourself out of the review the more balanced and fair the review will be.