PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about my site! The toothbrush subscription service

drhowe9
10-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi everyone!

There is tons of knowledge on this forum and I really do appreciate it!

What do you guys think of my new site, OneLessThought.com (http://www.onelessthought.com)

I launched it 2 days ago. It is a toothbrush subscription service. We send you a brand new, top quality toothbrush direct to your door every 3 months. Let me know what you like about the site, don't like, think needs improvement etc.

I wont take anything to heart!

Thanks,

Dave

vangogh
10-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Welcome again to the forum Dave.

My first impression of the site is pretty good. I'm certainly not frightened away and it generally looks professionally done. A weird observation is there's a very white feel to things. A part of me wants to say it's too white, but given the business it makes a lot of sense.

With the changing image on the home page I think you might want to slow down the change. Each image has a lot to read and it takes time to read it all. I'm not sure you even need to rotate them. Have them alternate on different pages instead.

The social buttons at the top are a little much. Realistically people aren't going to share things like your home page or about page. Placing them in such a prime spot comes across a little too strong.

There's a lot of information on the home page. Too much in my opinion. Give people enough on the home page to make them want more and then direct them to the information on other pages. With everything on the home and also the moving image it becomes hard to know where to look.

In general the text is hard to read. It's too light and too small and in a few places is allowed to run too wide across the page. Being too light doesn't provide enough contrast with the background. Being small is just hard to see. And running too long makes it hard to find the start of the next line. Get closer to black with the color and bump up the font size. I also noticed no font was specified. You should definitely choose something. With the pages where the lines run too long, move some of the content up and give the layout another column.

Another thing I notice about the text is it's centered in a lot of places. That's ok when you have smaller blocks of text with a shorter line length, but when it's more text and longer line lengths it doesn't work well.

I like how the footer looks, though right now the recent comments section is empty. I'd put something else there until you have comments to fill up that space.

The pages for the individual brushes (products) came out well. I might move the FAQs and the message about multiple subscriptions lower on the page to put the focus at the top of the page on the product image and description. I placed something in the cart and clicked through to the checkout and those pages seem to work well too, though perhaps a little on the slow side.

Ok, I'll give someone else a chance for now. Overall it looks pretty good, though as with all sites it could be improved. Hope something above helps.

Harold Mansfield
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm in agreement with what Steve has said here about the design and too much information. I'd rather have credit card logos at the top, than Social Media logos. Put those on the bottom so that there are no distractions to making the sale.

If they want to be friends later, that's fine, but I'm not a big fan of business sites spending good real estate to send people away to join them on social media, rather than concentrating on making the sale while you have their attention and they are where you want them to be in the first place. The whole point of social media is to get people to the website. Not the other way around.

However, the one thing that immediately stood out to me ( and not something that you want to hear about a site that is already up) , is that the URL is weirdly out of place.

I understand your thought process, but I'm pretty certain that the average consumer will not and it's going to be incredibly hard to brand and associate with Toothbrushes. If I were to make any sweeping changes it would be to find a domain that has something to do with, or sounds like a mail order toothbrush subscription service, dental care or something that compliments and is recognizable as the product.

I think when you have a ecommerce site, especially one that sells one core product, the name needs to be as clearly expressed as possible. Even if it's blindingly simple like "ToothBrushesOnline.com". People on the web like blindingly simple when they are shopping or looking for things

I would also put "How it Works" graphic as the main graphic on the home page and nothing else there. No rotating images. Let that stand alone because it is the most important thing on the entire site, and let that go directly to a page where they can order.

Promote the other stuff below (sparingly), if people want to investigate more information.

Online ordering
You are going to have to find a way to condense the products page so that it shows an overview of what you have to offer that can be viewed quickly with simple descriptions and then click for details and ordering.

Also at the top of the page, something needs to say "Checkout".

I'd also remover "Remember the toothpaste scare of 07?" Don't remind people of horrible things. And get off of the China bashing. Simply up-sell "Made in the USA" and the quality thereof. That says it all.

May sound like I'm just a critical of everything, but I actually think it's a good start. I think just some condensing of your information, and a little better styling of the copy on the pages and you could make a go at it.

drhowe9
10-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Welcome again to the forum Dave.

My first impression of the site is pretty good. I'm certainly not frightened away and it generally looks professionally done. A weird observation is there's a very white feel to things. A part of me wants to say it's too white, but given the business it makes a lot of sense.

With the changing image on the home page I think you might want to slow down the change. Each image has a lot to read and it takes time to read it all. I'm not sure you even need to rotate them. Have them alternate on different pages instead.

The social buttons at the top are a little much. Realistically people aren't going to share things like your home page or about page. Placing them in such a prime spot comes across a little too strong.

There's a lot of information on the home page. Too much in my opinion. Give people enough on the home page to make them want more and then direct them to the information on other pages. With everything on the home and also the moving image it becomes hard to know where to look.

In general the text is hard to read. It's too light and too small and in a few places is allowed to run too wide across the page. Being too light doesn't provide enough contrast with the background. Being small is just hard to see. And running too long makes it hard to find the start of the next line. Get closer to black with the color and bump up the font size. I also noticed no font was specified. You should definitely choose something. With the pages where the lines run too long, move some of the content up and give the layout another column.

Another thing I notice about the text is it's centered in a lot of places. That's ok when you have smaller blocks of text with a shorter line length, but when it's more text and longer line lengths it doesn't work well.

I like how the footer looks, though right now the recent comments section is empty. I'd put something else there until you have comments to fill up that space.

The pages for the individual brushes (products) came out well. I might move the FAQs and the message about multiple subscriptions lower on the page to put the focus at the top of the page on the product image and description. I placed something in the cart and clicked through to the checkout and those pages seem to work well too, though perhaps a little on the slow side.

Ok, I'll give someone else a chance for now. Overall it looks pretty good, though as with all sites it could be improved. Hope something above helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate you taking your time to do this!

I chose the white because I like simple site layouts.

I agree with the social media buttons, that prime location needs something better, any suggestions? Credit card logos maybe as Harold mentioned?

I am going to test out some new copy to see what converts people. Im getting traffic to the landing page, I just need to convert more to paying customers! I think a more simple, straight to the point type of copy will help.

Dave

drhowe9
10-26-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm in agreement with what Steve has said here about the design and too much information. I'd rather have credit card logos at the top, than Social Media logos. Put those on the bottom so that there are no distractions to making the sale.

If they want to be friends later, that's fine, but I'm not a big fan of business sites spending good real estate to send people away to join them on social media, rather than concentrating on making the sale while you have their attention and they are where you want them to be in the first place. The whole point of social media is to get people to the website. Not the other way around.

However, the one thing that immediately stood out to me ( and not something that you want to hear about a site that is already up) , is that the URL is weirdly out of place.

I understand your thought process, but I'm pretty certain that the average consumer will not and it's going to be incredibly hard to brand and associate with Toothbrushes. If I were to make any sweeping changes it would be to find a domain that has something to do with, or sounds like a mail order toothbrush subscription service, dental care or something that compliments and is recognizable as the product.

I think when you have a ecommerce site, especially one that sells one core product, the name needs to be as clearly expressed as possible. Even if it's blindingly simple like "ToothBrushesOnline.com". People on the web like blindingly simple when they are shopping or looking for things

I would also put "How it Works" graphic as the main graphic on the home page and nothing else there. No rotating images. Let that stand alone because it is the most important thing on the entire site, and let that go directly to a page where they can order.

Promote the other stuff below (sparingly), if people want to investigate more information.

Online ordering
You are going to have to find a way to condense the products page so that it shows an overview of what you have to offer that can be viewed quickly with simple descriptions and then click for details and ordering.

Also at the top of the page, something needs to say "Checkout".

I'd also remover "Remember the toothpaste scare of 07?" Don't remind people of horrible things. And get off of the China bashing. Simply up-sell "Made in the USA" and the quality thereof. That says it all.

May sound like I'm just a critical of everything, but I actually think it's a good start. I think just some condensing of your information, and a little better styling of the copy on the pages and you could make a go at it.

Harold,

Thank you, this is very valuable feedback.

I eliminated the other 2 homepage sliders. The 'how it works' slider is the sole focus now, as it should be.

A lot of people are agreeing with you. The domain/logo needs to go. I am working on finding a new domain and rebranding. This should be interesting..

Harold Mansfield
10-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Harold,

Thank you, this is very valuable feedback.

I eliminated the other 2 homepage sliders. The 'how it works' slider is the sole focus now, as it should be.

A lot of people are agreeing with you. The domain/logo needs to go. I am working on finding a new domain and rebranding. This should be interesting..
Take your time and think them through. Finding a decent domain is harder than ever today.

yasinmb
10-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Hi

Really nice website and concept! I like the design at the top which shows the easy steps to sign up and receive a toothbrush. I have realized so many times that I need to change my toothbrush but i forgot to add it to the shopping list!

I think the hardest thing with eCommerce websites is converting the traffic into sales. I have a good friend from work who has tonnes of experience in this kind of thing, maybe I could get you in touch with him?

What has the traffic been like so far and any sales yet?

Wish you all the best with the project!

I think you really have scope to expand this into other products as well which are perishable, nice name too, I like it!

drhowe9
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi

Really nice website and concept! I like the design at the top which shows the easy steps to sign up and receive a toothbrush. I have realized so many times that I need to change my toothbrush but i forgot to add it to the shopping list!

I think the hardest thing with eCommerce websites is converting the traffic into sales. I have a good friend from work who has tonnes of experience in this kind of thing, maybe I could get you in touch with him?

What has the traffic been like so far and any sales yet?

Wish you all the best with the project!

I think you really have scope to expand this into other products as well which are perishable, nice name too, I like it!

Thanks for the feedback. Thats what was happening to me, I would look at my toothbrush, knowing I needed to change it, but would just be to lazy or forget! There are serious health risks to having an outdate,worn toothbrush.

True, converting traffic into sales is my challenge right now. Please do get me in touch with your friend, I could use any advice I can get!

I launched the site last Tuesday, and during that time iv'e had about 400 unique visitors, with 3 total subscriptions sold.

Thanks for the support. I look forward to hearing from you and your "traffic conversion" friend!

Dave

ozetel
10-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Hi

What a great concept! I think that would go really well here - patent it somehow before other people take the idea I reckon!! get suppliers in Australia and do the same thing, you don't need to be here right? Very cool.

Would spread like wildfire, the concept and fun of it - through social media. I think people would talk about it alot.

But yep, the conversion to sales in the end is the key right because whats the point if people are only looking and chatting, not buying. Maybe a free trial if the cash was there for you. By the website itself is fantastic, warm and inviting.

drhowe9
10-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi

What a great concept! I think that would go really well here - patent it somehow before other people take the idea I reckon!! get suppliers in Australia and do the same thing, you don't need to be here right? Very cool.

Would spread like wildfire, the concept and fun of it - through social media. I think people would talk about it alot.

But yep, the conversion to sales in the end is the key right because whats the point if people are only looking and chatting, not buying. Maybe a free trial if the cash was there for you. By the website itself is fantastic, warm and inviting.

Can't patent an idea!

Overseas will be something I am going to look into, I just need to build the site up first in North America.

Once I get all the kinks worked out, a viral campaign will be in order.

Thanks for the pointers!

Dave

Rover
11-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Reminds me of this site dollar shave club.com, same thing except razors. Now if you had a hilarious video like that guy I would be a customer, maybe pick up some ideas from them. Besides that I like your site, I do buy a toothbrush almost once a month (It's an obsession) but could see where this would be appealing to those who don't take oral hygiene as serious as me.

Didn't like the FAQ section as after reading a topic I had to go back. A lot of sites I go to tend to have each question and answer all on the same page and clicking from the link just sends you down to that section. Where those the actual brushes you get in the picture? Maybe have different tiers for people to choose from. I like to spend a decent amount of time selecting a brush, going through the different grips and brush head designs.

Just a customers point of view, I'm not a web designer at all.

jamesray50
11-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Hi there! I like it! I'm not much on reviewing websites on the technical side, but I like the concept. How did you come up with that? Do you have any competition? Do you have the toothbrushes in inventory or do you have them drop shipped from somewhere else? I went to your FaceBook page and was going to Like it, but it wanted me to sign up for something and that did bother me. I may have signed up after I had Liked it, but I don't want to have to sign up just to Like it. If I had been allowed to Like without any conditions attached, it would have posted to my FaceBook page that I had Liked your page. Then maybe some of my friends would have clicked on what I had Liked to see what it was.

drhowe9
11-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback. A viral type video like dollar shave club is coming. I'm just working out the kinks first than I will go full steam with promotion.

Good point on the FAQ. I will have to change that.

Those are the brushes you get.

Thanks again,

Dave

drhowe9
11-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Reminds me of this site dollar shave club.com, same thing except razors. Now if you had a hilarious video like that guy I would be a customer, maybe pick up some ideas from them. Besides that I like your site, I do buy a toothbrush almost once a month (It's an obsession) but could see where this would be appealing to those who don't take oral hygiene as serious as me.

Didn't like the FAQ section as after reading a topic I had to go back. A lot of sites I go to tend to have each question and answer all on the same page and clicking from the link just sends you down to that section. Where those the actual brushes you get in the picture? Maybe have different tiers for people to choose from. I like to spend a decent amount of time selecting a brush, going through the different grips and brush head designs.

Just a customers point of view, I'm not a web designer at all.
Thanks for the feedback. A viral type video like dollar shave club is coming. I'm just working out the kinks first than I will go full steam with promotion.

Good point on the FAQ. I will have to change that.

Those are the brushes you get.

Thanks again,

Dave

drhowe9
11-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi there! I like it! I'm not much on reviewing websites on the technical side, but I like the concept. How did you come up with that? Do you have any competition? Do you have the toothbrushes in inventory or do you have them drop shipped from somewhere else? I went to your FaceBook page and was going to Like it, but it wanted me to sign up for something and that did bother me. I may have signed up after I had Liked it, but I don't want to have to sign up just to Like it. If I had been allowed to Like without any conditions attached, it would have posted to my FaceBook page that I had Liked your page. Then maybe some of my friends would have clicked on what I had Liked to see what it was.

Hi!

I came up with the idea because I had the problem of my brushes always being old and stale. I would look at my brush and knew I needed to change it but was always to lazy! There can be serious health effects to using an old toothbrush!

There are a few other sites doing the same thing, I think I can do it differently and better.

I keep toothbrushes in inventory.

That shouldn't happen with the facebook page. Try it again, just click the like this page button. Heres our facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/onelessthought
(http://www.facebook.com/onelessthought)
If your interested in signing up iv'e created a coupon code for the small business forum! Save 10% if you use the coupon code: business

I appreciate all the feedback! I know you'll love the service.

machine
11-04-2012, 08:34 AM
I think a toothbrush subscription business is a great idea, looking forward to seeing the video.

drhowe9
11-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I think a toothbrush subscription business is a great idea, looking forward to seeing the video.

Thanks, Machine. Working out the little kinks first, than going full out with the promotion! Iv'e added some HQ pictures to the homepage for the time being, I think they look awesome!

Dave

D_J
11-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Interesting idea.

The site needs some serious copy-editing. You can't be mixing up Your and You're in 18 pt font. And you've got a bunch of other errors. From major things like their/they're to smaller like lets/let's to incorrect hyphenation for compound nouns. Pay a copy-editor a hundred bucks to go over your site.

drhowe9
11-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Interesting idea.

The site needs some serious copy-editing. You can't be mixing up Your and You're in 18 pt font. And you've got a bunch of other errors. From major things like their/they're to smaller like lets/let's to incorrect hyphenation for compound nouns. Pay a copy-editor a hundred bucks to go over your site.

Thanks for pointing that out. I need to know my weaknesses.

I have someone editing the grammar tonight.

Dave

drhowe9
11-07-2012, 08:26 PM
If anyone is around in 30 minutes (10pm EST, Wed Nov 7th) and is bored i'm doing a live interview, talking about OneLessThought!

One Less Thought Interview with Owner/Creator David Howe 11/07 by Michael Plante The Business Guy | Blog Talk Radio (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/michaelplantethebusinessguy/2012/11/08/how-he-started-an-online-company-interview-with-david-howe)

It's a call in show too!

drhowe9
11-07-2012, 10:43 PM
For those who missed the show and want to listen its on my website. Heres the link:

David Howe, Founder of OneLessThought Discusses "Toothbrush Subscriptions" With Michael Plante on "The Business Guy Radio Show" - One Less Thought (http://www.onelessthought.com/uncategorized/david-howe-founder-of-onelessthought-discusses-toothbrush-subscriptions/)

drhowe9
11-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Quick question everyone.

Im changing my domain name and I need some help. Iv'e narrowed my choices to 2 domains:

TwoDollarToothbrush.com & ToothbrushSubscriptions.com

With TwoDollarToothbrush I would obviously have to offer a $2 toothbrush. I would do the same thing as dollar shave club and basically offer a brush for cheap and add S/H, and offer two more expensive versions without shipping and handling.

For example:
Adult Brushes:
Brush 1: 2$ Plus S/H
Brush 2: $5 S/H Incl
Brush 3: $6.50 S/H Incl (will be a very nice brush for 6.50!)

And I would still have the teenagers and childrens brushes. TwoDollarToothbrush has a catchy ring to it.

ToothbrushSubscriptions.com is very to the point, and basically tells you what your getting if you come to the site, a toothbrush subscription.

Its kind of a mouthful, but like everyone has said on the forums, the domain name has to relate to what i'm selling, and this does the trick.

What's everyones thoughts? I thank you in advance.

Dave

P.S i'm offering a fire sale price right now on brushes to generate some buzz, take advantage if you want. It won't last long

http://www.onelessthought.com/produc...ar-toothbrush/

And its not a auto-renewal payment. One-time, 8 bucks.

Business Attorney
11-15-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't like the TwoDollarToothbrush.

First, there is the classic bait-and-switch issue if the cheap toothbrush is really not good quality. It's one thing to offer a good product that most people would find acceptable at one price and then offer a premium product at a higher price point for a select few that want something better. It's not a good idea to plan to push a cheap toothbrush just to get people to your site.

Second, the name is very limiting as inflation creeps in. Motel 6 and Super 8 may have gotten around the price problem of selling rooms rooms for their original $6 or $8.88, but the word "dollar" is not in their names. McDonald's "Dollar Menu" is getting very tough to maintain since the cost of the ingredients has gone up considerably since the concept was launched in 2002.

By the way, I know you said in another post that you are having someone copy edit the site. You need to get that done. I counted 7 errors in the first two paragraphs of your "Our Brushes" page. One error is one too many but 7 errors would certainly cause me to doubt the quality of the brushes. Your webpage is a reflection on your business.

drhowe9
05-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Hey everybody,

I wanted to come and give quick update on the progress at ToothbrushSubscriptions.com (https://www.toothbrushsubscriptions.com)!

It' been about 1.5 years since we first launched the site and posted looking for feedback from the community here. We actually started as "OneLessThought.com" and due to the overwhelming feedback, changed to ToothbrushSubscriptions.com.

Looking at some of the feedback from the members here, a lot of you suggested launching a video. While it took a while, we just launched our video last night! Looking at companies like Dollar Shave Club, PooPourri and HelloFlo, they have had success with these types of videos. It's going to take a big push, but I think it's going to be a great help getting our name out there!

The biggest learning curve is that we can't just sell "features and benefits" all day. We really need to connect to our target customers. We've done a lot of this through the video, the customer experience, and each package our customers receive in the mail.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the video!

Thanks,

Dave

Harold Mansfield
05-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Hey everybody,

I wanted to come and give quick update on the progress at ToothbrushSubscriptions.com (https://www.toothbrushsubscriptions.com)!

It' been about 1.5 years since we first launched the site and posted looking for feedback from the community here. We actually started as "OneLessThought.com" and due to the overwhelming feedback, changed to ToothbrushSubscriptions.com.

Looking at some of the feedback from the members here, a lot of you suggested launching a video. While it took a while, we just launched our video last night! Looking at companies like Dollar Shave Club, PooPourri and HelloFlo, they have had success with these types of videos. It's going to take a big push, but I think it's going to be a great help getting our name out there!

The biggest learning curve is that we can't just sell "features and benefits" all day. We really need to connect to our target customers. We've done a lot of this through the video, the customer experience, and each package our customers receive in the mail.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the video!

Thanks,

Dave

I freakin' LOVE IT! You put thought into it and had it done professionally. I am so happy that you didn't cheap out or try to do it yourself. Or if you did do it yourself, you've done well.

It also says that you are committed. That you aren't just plopping something together hoping to get lucky.
That goes a long way with the credibility of the company, and perceived value of the service.
You now look like a service that I trust to give a try.

The only thing I would do is also edit a shorter (30 second) version that gets to the point quicker, but without removing any of the comedy.
Otherwise, well done. I really like it.

jamesray50
05-10-2014, 12:01 PM
I liked your video too! I also like the idea of having a toothbrush delivered to me. I am one of those people who never think of buying one when I am at the store or pharmacy unless I am actually in the aisle. When I am brushing my teeth I will think of it, but by the time I am through and go to write a store list, a toothbrush is all forgotten. I think your service would be excellent for people who are home-bound. Maybe the elderly, senior citizen communities, half-way houses, anywhere that has a large number of residents who depend on other people to help take care of them. If you could figure out how to market to them I bet you could increase your sales.

I have not read your entire site but I did read the FAQ page. It could really use some editing. There were some words missing, some sentences need re-written, and punctuation looked at.

Good luck!

drhowe9
05-10-2014, 01:13 PM
I freakin' LOVE IT! You put thought into it and had it done professionally. I am so happy that you didn't cheap out or try to do it yourself. Or if you did do it yourself, you've done well.

It also says that you are committed. That you aren't just plopping something together hoping to get lucky.
That goes a long way with the credibility of the company, and perceived value of the service.
You now look like a service that I trust to give a try.

The only thing I would do is also edit a shorter (30 second) version that gets to the point quicker, but without removing any of the comedy.
Otherwise, well done. I really like it.

Harold,

Thanks for the kind words - we did put a lot of thought and effort in to the video. I knew it was a big play so I didn't want to cheap out on it!

Some of the feedback is similar .. making a short 30 second-ish video that keeps peoples attention. If the goal of the video is sharing, then that's the route to go. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Dave

drhowe9
05-10-2014, 01:15 PM
I liked your video too! I also like the idea of having a toothbrush delivered to me. I am one of those people who never think of buying one when I am at the store or pharmacy unless I am actually in the aisle. When I am brushing my teeth I will think of it, but by the time I am through and go to write a store list, a toothbrush is all forgotten. I think your service would be excellent for people who are home-bound. Maybe the elderly, senior citizen communities, half-way houses, anywhere that has a large number of residents who depend on other people to help take care of them. If you could figure out how to market to them I bet you could increase your sales.

I have not read your entire site but I did read the FAQ page. It could really use some editing. There were some words missing, some sentences need re-written, and punctuation looked at.

Good luck!

Thanks for noticing that! We're on it ..

You just described our average customer too. People just forget simple things like this, why not have it automated?

vangogh
05-12-2014, 11:47 PM
I like the video and I'm glad to see you put thought and effort into this too. I also agree with Harold that a shorter video that gets to the point quicker would be good.

Having said that I can't see myself using your service. I don't mean to say no one will. Just saying I wouldn't and I'll let you know why to give you a few more things to think about. I could see the pain points you were addressing in the video and to be honest I don't have any of those. I've never gone to the store to only buy a toothbrush. I typically go when I have a handful of things I need so I'm still going to the store and the home delivery isn't saving me any trips. I've also never paid $7+ for a toothbrush. I can also get toothbrushes at the supermarket. I usually buy more than one at a time so if one needs to be replaced there's another waiting for me to open it. I just don't see the benefit of having them delivered.

Again that's for me. I'm not suggesting it's for everyone. Maybe I'm simply not your customer and you can ignore what I've said. On the other hand maybe there's another benefit that I'm missing that could be addressed.

I also don't see the benefit of the dollar shave club so it really is possible I'm just not the customer for this kind of business, but figured I would mention why just in case it helps. Obviously other people do find services like these useful.

Ok with the razor thing I haven't shaved in about 20 years so I don't see the benefit in any razor blade :)

Wozcreative
05-13-2014, 05:34 PM
Your toothbrush always being old and stale? LOL You may have some serious mouth issues. Tooth brushes should be changed every 6 months.. so should teeth cleaning at the dentist. When you go for a tooth cleaning, the dentist usually gives you nice gifts (usually a toothbrush). The only problem is they usually give out pretty basic tooth brushes.

I took a look at the site, the video is pretty funny. It didn't state how often you will send a new toothbrush though. I also took a look at the tooth brushes themselves... $5 for a basic toothbrush is pricy. I'd expect to pay about $3 for those. I usually invest a bit more into my toothbrushes because I need a tongue cleaner and bristles that go in various directions due to a retainer wire that was put in place after I got my braces off years ago.

Despite all that, my dentist still urges me to get an electric toothbrush instead. Maybe you can sell refillable electric toothbrush ends?

vangogh
05-13-2014, 11:42 PM
You know I forgot my dentist is always giving me toothbrushes. I don't like they ones they give me though so I still buy my own. I'll use the freebies as travel ones that I usually toss out after a few days.

Thinking out loud here. I see you also have dental floss. What if you also offered other things common at the drugstore? Mouthwash, soap, shampoo. I realize not everyone is going to buy the same things I will at the one store, but if you can add more of the common items we all need to buy then you can save someone like me a trip.

Wozcreative
05-14-2014, 02:26 PM
You know I forgot my dentist is always giving me toothbrushes. I don't like they ones they give me though so I still buy my own. I'll use the freebies as travel ones that I usually toss out after a few days.

Thinking out loud here. I see you also have dental floss. What if you also offered other things common at the drugstore? Mouthwash, soap, shampoo. I realize not everyone is going to buy the same things I will at the one store, but if you can add more of the common items we all need to buy then you can save someone like me a trip.

You need to buy mouthwash a lot sooner than tooth brushes, you may want to add that to it as Vangogh suggested. There are many types of mouth washes though, I personally need the one with fluoride in it. Not all of them have it.

vangogh
05-15-2014, 03:11 AM
True. I definitely go through mouthwash quicker. Dental floss too, but I see that's already one of the products on the site.

I was thinking about this last night and one of the reasons I probably wouldn't be a customer is because something doesn't feel right to me to order one small thing like a toothbrush on subscription. It just seems to small a thing. If it's a larger order it feels more right. I'd be more likely to commit to the monthly expense if it was a handful of items each month. Even better might be a way to set up an account where I order mouthwash every month and a toothbrush every 3 months or something like that.

billbenson
05-15-2014, 03:40 AM
Your toothbrush always being old and stale? LOL You may have some serious mouth issues. Tooth brushes should be changed every 6 months.. so should teeth cleaning at the dentist. When you go for a tooth cleaning, the dentist usually gives you nice gifts (usually a toothbrush). The only problem is they usually give out pretty basic tooth brushes.

I took a look at the site, the video is pretty funny. It didn't state how often you will send a new toothbrush though. I also took a look at the tooth brushes themselves... $5 for a basic toothbrush is pricy. I'd expect to pay about $3 for those. I usually invest a bit more into my toothbrushes because I need a tongue cleaner and bristles that go in various directions due to a retainer wire that was put in place after I got my braces off years ago.

Despite all that, my dentist still urges me to get an electric toothbrush instead. Maybe you can sell refillable electric toothbrush ends?

That's one of the problems I was thinking about as well. The product itself. If I go to the drug store and buy a tooth brush, I'd just buy two and I'm done for the year. not that hard to store the extra brush. Cost isn't an issue.

Someone else here delivers dog food. 50 lbs bags of dog food are a pain to deal with. It's the same kind of service, but for a product that little old ladies and others including me would rather not deal with.

I think you have the right idea, but the wrong product.

Wozcreative
05-15-2014, 09:22 AM
That's one of the problems I was thinking about as well. The product itself. If I go to the drug store and buy a tooth brush, I'd just buy two and I'm done for the year. not that hard to store the extra brush. Cost isn't an issue.

Someone else here delivers dog food. 50 lbs bags of dog food are a pain to deal with. It's the same kind of service, but for a product that little old ladies and others including me would rather not deal with.

I think you have the right idea, but the wrong product.

True, maybe denture glue for the old ladies? Denture brushes etc?

Damon the Marketer
05-20-2014, 02:47 AM
Look, it's a copy of Men's Shaving Club, except without the:

1. Usefulness
2. Viral video
3. Cost advantage

I'm not saying it won't work, but it seems like you're trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.

How about you take advantage of the route you're taking? I.e.,

How can the customer benefit from receiving it in the mail?
How can the customer benefit from getting it via subscription?
Why would I buy from you rather than another store that sells this commodity?

Try it again with weekly condoms sent discretely and in different varieties and I might buy from you. But a toothbrush (I have dozens leftovers lying around from the girls I bring home)?