PDA

View Full Version : Good organic google ranking

Russ in Vancouver
10-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Hello everyone I hope you are all doing well.
I just completed a seven month tech course on Friday, that's why I have not been around lately.

I have a question about google ranking. I built a site and a small business up last January, it was something I could do part time while attending school. Now after 10 months it has hit the first page of google with many of my desired key words.

I would like to change the look of my site and give it an overhaul while still keeping the original copy and adding more relevant content.

Will this disturb my first page ranking?

Harold Mansfield
10-21-2012, 11:26 AM
You shouldn't get much interuption (if any) by just changing some of the design. If you change the page URL structure, your internal linking and navigation, that's a different story.

Russ in Vancouver
10-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Good morning Harold,
You changed your avatar?

Oh oh.
Thanks for the reply. I was planning to change the whole platform to a more visually appealing and pictorial type site. I could still keep the new site along the same hierarchy of navigation but I would be adding a gallery of past projects.

Harold Mansfield
10-21-2012, 12:43 PM
was planning to change the whole platform to a more visually appealing and pictorial type site. I could still keep the new site along the same hierarchy of navigation but I would be adding a gallery of past projects.

That's just really hard to answer without knowing or seeing the particulars. As I said, if all you are doing is changing graphics and adding image content, then nothing should change. But if you are removing or rearranging copy across all of your pages, then yes, you are interrupting things. But it could be for the better.

Right now what ever ranking you have is based on your Title, Tags, Description, Keywords, Content on the page, and incoming links....compared to others who are trying to rank for the same thing.

If you change something, the content, then of course there will be an adjustment. The only way to minimize it would be to keep the exact same page URL's and keep the exact same copy on every single page.

ozetel
10-22-2012, 03:23 AM
Yes, as Harold was saying, be careful not to change the URL structure - assuming you have good SEO practices in their creation, and I suspect you do with the ranking success. Why not look to be "adding content" rather then changing it as this would tend towards additional content and depth, and a good thing in my opinion. I do tend to agree with Harold too in that changing the content that exists could actually also be a good thing but I would "test the water" on that concept because it could also backfire.

Slow and steady I say, because of what you have already achieved.

HireLogoDesign
10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm always fearful of changing much of the content itself by too much. Though it does show you keep updated as things change I just don't know a for sure so I'm always a bit weary. Changing the design of your site should show no disturbance as long as you keep link structure the same as stated before. If you do change your structure we're talking about a whole different ball game.

Russ in Vancouver
10-24-2012, 12:39 AM
oh man, decisions.....
I have another site that advertises the same services, it has a different copy, I cant even find it with the same keywords I use to find my money maker site.

If I build another site with a different domain name, the same
Title, Tags, Description, Keywords, Content on the page, and incoming links and add more details and a photo gallery do you think google will penalize my site? or rank me better than my existing 1st page site?

Can anyone link me to "how to seo for bing" I cant even find my 1st page google site on the bing network.
I am thinking that it IS worthwhile since its default in IE

ThankSS!!!!!

kimoonyx
10-24-2012, 02:20 AM
If a pic replace relevant text make sure to use alt tags ... For instance if your title is text that says awesome site, and you change it to a high end graphic of the words awesomesite.jpg make sure your alt tags say awesome site or you are boned for sure. I Was on the first page for the key words "how to open a franchise" and after the latest rewrite I got google slapped to position 120. I have hired a reputable Seo company who's name I will not mention to not trip spam deletion. I use their white hat methods at a premium and still this happened. If you have good google rank....be very careful about tweaking. Very very careful. If the site gets your info out there, I would consider leaving it the hell alone. A first page google ranking is very valuable. I am reminded of the old adage.... If it ain't broke... Save your google rating.

Russ in Vancouver
10-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks!!
I will leave it alone. Maybe I'll just add the gallery page and a few links to it throughout the site.
I'm always adding testimonials with keywords which I think has helped me alot.
Have a great day

dianecoleen
10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
If I build another site with a different domain name, the same and add more details and a photo gallery do you think google will penalize my site? or rank me better than my existing 1st page site?

Can anyone link me to "how to seo for bing" I cant even find my 1st page Google site on the bing network.
I am thinking that it IS worthwhile since its default in IE

ThankSS!!!!!

Basically, that would penalize you from having a duplicate content. Make sure to create different meta and content since you'll be having a different site. Also, with so many updates that Google is imposing I suggest that you go on natural and ethic marketing techniques so you can stay longer in the search engine ranking result.

Adding more content/details on your page would basically help you in increasing ranking. Specially if it is really rich in content and really helpful to your visitors. If in case you'll be changing your domain URL then don't forget to have a 301 redirection, so the link juice and backlinks will just be transferred to the other url that you preferred to use.

I don't think there is a different SEO in the three major search engines. But you can try listing your websites to the different products of Yahoo, like the directory, local listings, etc. -- since these are all free.