PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Find Accountant

billbenson
10-16-2012, 09:39 AM
I need to find an accountant. My taxes are quite simple really: Mortgage, debt service, limited business exxpenses as its an online business. Only income is from business.

How should I go about finding decent local accountant?

nealrm
10-16-2012, 09:55 AM
try here https://www.daveramsey.com/elp/tax-services/ictid/rt.nav

Business Attorney
10-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Normally I say for any professional, I'd start on the internet, perhaps with a Google Places search. However, your needs are so basic that the best accountant for you may be the small guy who doesn't even have a web presence (except perhaps a name and address on general sites like Yelp and Merchant Circle or on specific accountant lists (http://accountantlist.info) that really don't help much).

In your case, I'd try the old fashioned networking. Ask a local business, banker, attorney, real estate broker or insurance agent for a recommendation. Virtually every store front business has an accountant and most other professionals work with several. Most people are happy to give you a suggestion, even if you just met them and bring it up in your first conversation with them.

billbenson
10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks, Neal and David. So far I've contacted my bank, Chase, who I have been doing business with for years. They just changed my personal banker, so I can't get any recommendations on the side. He got promoted and is in training somewhere. They can't give me recommendations per policy, but are going to email me a short list. I also have a friend who has a small karate school and knows everybody who lives in this small town. He says he has a recommendation. I know he lives centavo a centavo so he may be a good resource. I'll see him tomorrow.

Evan
10-16-2012, 06:53 PM
If you're a member of the Chamber of Commerce, or other clubs (e.g. Rotary, Elks, Toastmasters even), you may run into some other business owners. Heck, there may even be a CPA there.

jamesray50
10-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi Bill - If you don't mind working remotely with an accountant I can put you in touch with several. If you want one in your area, I know a few in your state and can check to see if there is one close to you. Just let me know if I can help.

cheaper accountant
10-19-2012, 06:41 AM
I would make sure that the accountant you choose is a CPA. This way you will get the knowledge and expertise you need and expect.

jamesray50
10-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Just because an accountant is a CPA doesn't mean they know taxes. If you just need someone to do taxes, check for an EA (Enrolled Agent). Also, ask if they have a PTIN, they need this number to prepare and sign on the tax return. If they don't have one, keep looking. A CPA is probably going to charge more than an accountant or EA.

AccountantSalary
10-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Ask your doctor, lawyer or other successful professional you do business with, who they use for tax accounting.