PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Grants

Wozcreative
10-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I am in Canada and was doing some general looking around and learning about possibilities of "grants" that I hope to possibly apply for. My financial position is sort of unique so I figured there may be some grants that may help me out.

I found this website: grants-loans.org/ and went and found various grants that relate to women in startup businesses that make less than 500, 000 a year with excellent credit scores. I did their little online test and it showed me 5 - 10 different ones I might apply for but there is a $500.00 yearly fee associated with it (which is tax deductible). So my question is.. has anyone ever applied to one of these things? Not this specific one, but any companies that help you apply for a grant.

How likely is it that I may find a grant through them? Is it better to look for one yourself, if so, how can you find one? What are your experiences with these types of financial help? I feel really "dumb" when it comes to these sort of financial things.. sometimes I think I make my accountant scratch his head too much with the questions that I have.

All advice is greatly appreciated!

Harold Mansfield
10-10-2012, 08:04 AM
I don't know how it works in Canada, but in America those are typically scams. Here grants are technically available for anyone who fits the criteria to apply. It's a crap shoot either way. A lot of Universities and organizations kind of (indirectly) lobby for grants, as in they know people. I think it's illegal to do any actual lobbying for them, but that doesn't stop anyone from picking up[ the phone to call thier District representative.

But the real stickler in applying is the paperwork.
If I were going to spend any money applying for a grant , it would be in the preparation of the paperwork or learing how to prepare the paperwork. But I certainly wouldn't pay a 3rd party a yearly fee. Your odds are no greater with them as they would be on your own.

But like I said, that's how it is in the U.S.

nealrm
10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I think there is a 100% chance that you will loss your $500 and never see a grant. All government grant are available to the public, without using that firm.

In general small business grants are worth less then the work it takes to get them.

Wozcreative
10-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I think there is a 100% chance that you will loss your $500 and never see a grant. All government grant are available to the public, without using that firm.

In general small business grants are worth less then the work it takes to get them.

Yea that is also what I am finding out too! I guess when it seems too good to be true... ;)