PDA

View Full Version : have you seen this?

greenoak
12-20-2008, 09:35 AM
i like her,
she swears,,
,she made 176,000$ on her blog this year.....she kind of tells you how she did it...
i did learn some stuff on there...one thing was about how you all[meaning savvy internet people] have abused some things like stumble and now they dont work very well ...it was mostly over my head but fun reading....great ideas on launching a big project....
Small business marketing ideas - Starting a home business | IttyBiz (http://www.ittybiz.com)
i see she has recipes and kids on the first post...just skip that...tons of business stuff on down...

vangogh
12-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Ann your link points to the home page so I'm not sure if there was a specific article you wanted to send us to. I did look through a couple and saw the one mentioning StumbleUpon. I wouldn't say it's all us web savvy people who have abused things, but rather a smaller set of people.

I'm not familiar with her site, but I did just look through the comments on her latest post. I'm actually subscribed to many of the people who comment on her blog. I went ahead and subscribed. See how good other people's recommendations can be? When enough people you already trust recommend the same thing you have a tendency to believe them.

greenoak
12-20-2008, 05:39 PM
i cant find it now!! its such a huge site....the part i liked was a video, with all words and text....it was about the #176,000$ and launching a big project....
i read quite a bit on there and got a lot out of it.......she said what my dad always said....if you divide up all the money it will just go back to where it was......meaning, the smart guys, the guys who know what they are doing, will get it back...
if you find that spot i hope you will post it...i meant to read more there...
ann

orion_joel
12-20-2008, 06:28 PM
I think this may the be post that you were meaning to post.

Online Business School — Why We’re Broke and How To Fix It | IttyBiz (http://ittybiz.com/online-business-school/)

It has video's and talks about the $176,000 she made in a year.

greenoak
12-20-2008, 06:47 PM
thats it...

orion_joel
12-21-2008, 12:55 AM
I am still getting through the reading but have watched the video, and it is quite a interesting bit so far.

I kind of had an inking of an idea that the thing's discussed would be someone of the streams of income that she used, such as ebooks and downloads and affiliate marketing. The others although expected were not that surprising it just seems like a natural progression of existing skills.

I will probably try and get through reading the rest later tonight. As this is really the direction that i would like to be moving in, and $176,000 in a single year seriously would be a fantastic achievement, which i would not expect the first year, but that is definitely the direction that i would like to be headed.

billbenson
12-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't really see anything new here. I didn't watch the video though; don't have speakers attached to this pc.

What struck your eye, Joel, other than multiple online revenue streams?

The people I have seen that make a lot of money on the internet just keep building sites. All the sites have multiple revenue streams and I suspect there is a goal of about 100 page sites. They have also been doing it for years. At some point, it becomes unmanageable, but there are some people out there making a LOT of money. 35 sites making $500 to $1k per month and you have a pretty nice living. Takes a long time to get there though.

The above includes Adsense sites, but not scraped sites. Good unique content sites. They tend to be sites that promote one affiliate or at the most a couple but also have other revenue streams.

orion_joel
12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Well it was reading good, and the video did outline the stream's she was using, but then that was when i realized oh it is actually a nicely written sales page, that leads to i suppose just another revenue stream for her, at $400 a pop.

I think the problem i find with this is that yeah anything like this is fine, to discuss in the terms that they get a domain put a site on it, and go for a niche site, (which they just happened to stubble on one getting 20,000 searches a day that no body else was trying in) and put an affiliate or two on it and you have a revenue stream.

The key i think they forget to mention which is probably the whole point of their sales page is that you need to spend months or even years testing and learning the strategies, to be able to do this to some degree of certainty for success. Yeah maybe you may be able to recover the cost of their course if you follow it to the letter and get lucky, but i think you would have just as much chance at success if you were to make use of the free information that you would be able to find online, at nothing like the price tag for the courses that they offer.

orion_joel
12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh and sorry Bill, to answer your question. I think what i saw in this which appealed to me was more so the idea of being able to earn this amount of money working primarily online. Which as per my above post i do understand is not the absolutely easiest thing.

greenoak
12-21-2008, 11:10 PM
im finding quite a bit on there releveant for my business..on a lot of different subjects....and i dont even have most of the issues she talks about...
she was pretty upfront that it was a sales pitch....but still gave out lots of info on her site...and in a fresh way....to me it reaffirmed how good freebies on your site are..i laughed at her guerilla marketing post, enjoyed her ideas on hard work before you can afford a merketing coach, lots more...
. did you see what all she did to make a great launch?
im not signing up but i think i will keep reading her ...
ann
magpie cottage (http://www.magpiecottage.blogspot.com)

orion_joel
12-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Oh there is no doubt that the information that is provided for free is going to be valuable. The real question that i find comes from reading many of these type of things though, the free stuff is good value, but is the price tag that is on the products going to provide a similar value for money equivalent.

Which really may or may not be a question, but the biggest hurdle for me is when someone provides a lot of good free information, you wonder just how much more can be provided in the paid for product.

greenoak
12-22-2008, 07:57 AM
you might be right..........but anyway, im not considering hiring her or signing up for anything....
i really dont know much about lots of stuff you know , that she also discusses...so it may be useful to me on subjects you already know by heart.......
im glad to read her and maybe the insight i got from her already on building up to a launch or building up to an ebook..or sorting out some internet options to not worry about,
or seeing what kind of tools i should be looking at , maybe some of that will make me some money down the road...
and its a fun read, ...
i liked the part about generalization in the work place, so true and sad...she actually hit a lot of my beliefs...on hard work,on rich people, on go girl as opposed to a real plan..and the bad parts too..... and lots more...
im hoping to read more...

billbenson
12-22-2008, 09:12 AM
A suggestion, Joel, if you are moving in the online marketing direction is to register 10 or 15 domains that match the direction you want to go. Put an index page of some sort on them and then go back to them when you have time. Just make sure they all have some sort of optimized index page.

I personally believe sites that are older have a lot more credibility with G. Even if you don't mess with them for a year, they are sitting there to play with. Google tends to ignore completely new sites as well (sandbox).

orion_joel
12-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Ann, I am sorry i feel i may have taken my comments in the wrong direction, i didn't mean to discount the usefulness of the content that is there, as really it is good even for me reading it. I think maybe i kind of generalized a little to much myself and did not actually point out the problem that i specifically found.

The first post that led into the post you initially mentioned and i linked to, talking about a series of posts, when i started reading i was thinking this is great, then only found to be disappointed, when i believe she said they were taken down now the online business school is available, at a price of $397. I just have trouble figuring why someone would take down some posts that you would think should be there as reinforcement as to why you should spend the money.

That is not a bad idea Bill, in fact it was sort of the direction that i first went with my first foray into a thought of internet marketing. However i think i went to spreadout and initially i think i had something like 50-60 domains i registered, and i think i spent a little time and did have sites on about 4 or 5 of them, which did generate a small amount of adsense revenue, however nothing much. In the end i let most of them lapse, and only have the few i have now. Though maybe i should look to find about 10 and do as you suggest in line with the direction i want to go.

billbenson
12-22-2008, 11:34 PM
I think what I would do joel, and mind you I have not done this, is find affiliates I like. Then see if they (the site) has the option for a multiple revenue streams, then register the site. Worth a month subscription to wordtracker as well. I'm kind of thinking about moving in that direction as well.