PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Takes Out Google In Alexa!

MostHeather
10-05-2012, 07:05 PM
The boys at Facebook have managed to take the #1 Global Position at Alexa. #2 in the US..

Google must be on their toes!

simplybusiness
10-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I would say this is a temporary "fluke". Lets wait for two weeks and see what happens :-)

MostHeather
10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't know.. mobile usage has really changed the demographics of how people use the Internet. A lot of my younger nieces, nephews and all of their friends only go to Facebook - and they do it from their cell phones.

We'll have to monitor this and see how it goes..

Freelancier
10-09-2012, 08:42 AM
A lot of my younger nieces, nephews and all of their friends only go to Facebook - and they do it from their cell phones.
Does Alexa even record traffic that happens from a smartphone? I thought you needed the Alexa toolbar for that...?

Business Attorney
10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Based on what I see in my family, it doesn't surprise me at all that Facebook is #1. If you calculated time spent on the site rather than visits, which I think is Alexa's metric, I think Facebook passed Google a long time ago.

Of course, you don't have to be ON Google to be getting content from Google, since so many sites have AdSense on them. You are seeing Google even when you are on those other sites, and that doesn't count in Alexa's metric either.

Brian Altenhofel
10-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Does Alexa even record traffic that happens from a smartphone? I thought you needed the Alexa toolbar for that...?

This. Alexa largely works by making estimates based on toolbar traffic. Its also very easy to game if you're trying to get a certain ranking to "qualify" for certain advertising programs. I always enjoy when I hear an alleged SEO talk about improving Alexa ranking...

At one time I operated a site that got 1/3 of the traffic that another site I operated did according to Google Analytics. Alexa ranked the lower traffic site just inside the top 100,000 and the higher traffic site somewhere around 7,000,000. The difference was the demographic of the target audience.

fanbizzy
01-08-2013, 03:14 PM
I do not think facebook will last long at PR1, I think they are in a little bit of a slumber mode and within the next few months they will be rolling out new features for their enterprise modules for business owners!

dianecoleen
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
No wonder to that. Google is different from Facebook. As to what we used it. Facebook is more of a social networking than a search engine, right? Just sayin' anyway.