PDA

View Full Version : Should I give promotional items too ...

silas
09-28-2012, 02:10 AM
I am thinking about investing in some promotional items (pens, ipad micro cloth cleaner, post-it notepads, etc) and was wondering about WHO to give them out too. Past clients for sure.

My business is video production if that helps (general cost starts at about $1000 and is geared towards small to meduim businesses.)

If I gave out stuff to basically everyone I meet would that be smart or a waste?

I also have a facebook page and was thinking of offering a prize for people liking the page (1000th person gets a prize or something like that). I was thinking I could also get addresses and mail out magnet calendars to people with the new year coming up. Thoughts?

Steve B
09-28-2012, 06:42 AM
I would just give them out when you are making an in-person visit to the small and medium businesses that you are targeting. Otherwise, you will just be throwing money away.

Freelancier
09-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Before spending the money, go ask your past clients what promotional item would help them remember you... or if that's even the right way to remember you at all.

We've used these items at trade shows, but only to draw people into the booth. And they weren't heavily branded, just something flashing to attract their eyes, because you're competing with hundreds of other flashy companies, so you want to draw their eyes to your location as they walk past. Juggling the flashing objects works really well for that. :)

But for having customers remember you... that's harder, because they have to use it, think about it when they want something like what you offer, etc. And maybe it's not needed at all, and maybe you'll find that your money is better spent advertising, so that you keep the sales pipeline full. And a FB Like is nice, but what you really want are qualified leads, not just random people liking a page so they can get a calendar. For example, a qualified lead would be someone who googles "video production california", right?

Pack-Secure
09-28-2012, 10:08 AM
For repeat business and new customers, I would say that offering a coupon for a certain dollar amount off (an amount you feel would help them remember you) would help them remember you.

For your repeat customers I would also say a referral program might work.

Wozcreative
09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Offer to give out a keychain USB pen. I keep all the ones I get, and often have them laying around in different places to use. Sometimes a client would ask if they can get a file from me on a usb drive.. (if I didn't have my own), I would give one that was given to me.. thus a brand traveling to someone elses hands.

Give out what can represent you and actually be useful.

silas
09-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

Do you think promotional items would be a good way to get NEW clients?! That's what I am really after. Suppose I walk into a business and give out a few promo items along with a brochure and business card. It would only be businesses I would want to work for. Also, on that note, I was thinking a metro newspaper ad might be good as well. My service is a little specialized so not everyone wants it, but maybe a newspaper would help, and then a free consultation with free usb flashdrive, brochure, and pens or something like that....just to keep my name in their hands for awhile. Thanks for your advice guys, this forum is great!

Wozcreative
09-28-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't think it is a way to get new ones. To get new ones, they need an incentive, a coupon, promotion, free things if they do go with you etc.
Trust me, people have noooooo problem taking free things, but won't give back by coming back to you for a service just because they got some pen.

The services I most often use are printers, if they offer something the other guy doesn't then I will only go there. I will shop at a certain store, only because I can collect points, so I can later get free stuff. You need to get the customer work for it.. trick is to get them to want to work for it.

Pack-Secure
09-28-2012, 03:44 PM
As I mentioned, Discounts, free shipping etc.

silas
09-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Makes sense! Thanks for the input guys - I think I 'll give promo away with existing clients (with their finish product) and use a different stradegy for new customers.
Thanks!

huggytree
09-28-2012, 05:14 PM
i get stuff all the time...i throw 100% of it away

i give my customer fridge magnets....it costs me almost nothing and about 1/4th of them i see on fridges when i do return visits...so it does get some use

i have a electrician friend who gives out travel mugs...very nice ones!....he says all his customers keep theirs

there's a story in one of my books on 'how to run a successful plumbing business' on a plumber who hands out teddy bears....if the house has 5 kids he gives them 5 bears....of course he adds $10 per hour to cover this, but according to the story it turned into a large service business.

if you cant give a nice 'high end' gift i wouldnt bother...and by high end i mean $5-$10....giving a pen= nothing

magnets works for me because im a plumber and everyone wants my number handy for emergencies...it probably wouldnt work for most businesses

id only give the items out to existing customers on your way out the door

Wozcreative
09-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Huggy - you should turn those magnets into a novelty, create a "picture" frame for it.. maybe it can be a toilet seat.. ok bad idea, but you know what I mean.. maybe the frame being copper pipes or soemthing with your logo etc. Families with kids would like it.
Also a magnetized ruler is helpful too.. or measuring tape to "measure kids heights" at the fidge.

Or.. can't you replace the little nozzles where you turn waters off with your own branded one? Ah.. I have too many ideas.. my boyfriend is also a Plumber so I come up with these cooky things ;)

Pack-Secure
09-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I agree that coffee mugs are very nice to receive as a promotional gift.

billbenson
10-01-2012, 04:30 PM
I agree that coffee mugs are very nice to receive as a promotional gift.

Personal sales maybe, but if you are B2B most people you call on and their secretaries have coffee mugs coming out of their ears.

Pack-Secure
10-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Feel free to send us new promotional coffee mugs, the more the merrier. :)

ZachLevi
10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
If you will going to join live events or trade shows, promotional products are very effective since people love freebies, they will definitely head to you stall.

myQRad.com
11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I think promotional items work great for many businesses, but you have to decide if it will work for you. I really enjoy keeping useful promotional items, but they have to be useful and quality. If someone gives me a quality pen I may have it for years. The difficult part about these types of promotions is determining ROI from them.

Ronald Dod
11-29-2012, 10:39 AM
We've had great results using promotional items in direct mailers. I would use the wipey cloth. Don't use the standard pens, towels, coasters, etc... They give you absolutely ZERO results. Get something very unique that will get their attention and actually stay on their desk!

ClubPromo
02-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi there...I am late to this discussion but new to the forum...my first post in fact. I am a Promotional Products distributor so I have a view from the other side. I saw some creative and useful suggestions reading this thread...but I will add one very specific comment that should be at the heart of any decision regarding the purchase of Promotional Products.

Do not just buy Promotional items because some salesman says you need them.

You dont NEED anything except customers. What you WANT to use is an aid to gain more customers, and to keep the ones you have happy. So you need to analyze what your business is...who you want to reach...and then will you be able to accomplish what you want.

Want to reach new clients? then you want to go low cost high volume...and figure out your best distribution stream. If you want to say thank you to existing clients...to get referrals or just for retention...then a higher priced lower volume item is what you want. Know where you want to go and why.

But your most important item is your business card.

Screw VistaPrint. they are cheap and they are OK. But the card is an extension of YOU and YOUR BUSINESS.

get a good card. 14 pt. double sided with UV and Gloss coating. Strong...dynamic looking...and individually yours.

I sell a good card...as described above...for $50.00 a thousand delivered. You dont have to pay a fortune for good cards, but demand quality.

In all things, price is a factor, but never the ONLY factor. You get what you pay for. Buy quality. You sell it...buy it.

Very Nice to meet you all.

Tom Griffin
Owner - Club Promo
A buyers club for Promotional Products and Business printing needs.

Wozcreative
02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
get a good card. 14 pt. double sided with UV and Gloss coating. Strong...dynamic looking...and individually yours.

I sell a good card...as described above...for $50.00 a thousand delivered. You dont have to pay a fortune for good cards, but demand quality.

In all things, price is a factor, but never the ONLY factor. You get what you pay for. Buy quality. You sell it...buy it.

Except that the standard for bcards is now 16pt :P
I still laugh at printers when they still offer single or double sided bcards.. standards move quickly and some of these guy's are pretty backwards

In any case it is best to always shop around for these things and ask a lot of questions.

ClubPromo
02-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Except that the standard for bcards is now 16pt :P
I still laugh at printers when they still offer single or double sided bcards.. standards move quickly and some of these guy's are pretty backwards

In any case it is best to always shop around for these things and ask a lot of questions.

if you want 16 pt we can do that...but 14 makes a really nice card and the price point is far better....so thats what I offer. Not a complaint yet from any of my clients. But whatever suits the client is what we do.

I do agree with you that shopping around will find the best for your needs. Find the company that will work with you...give you the best in service as well as a good price...and let the program work for you.

Tom

billbenson
02-04-2013, 10:43 PM
I can't think of a business card I didn't want to write something onto. I don't want double sided cards from people.

Wozcreative
02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I can't think of a business card I didn't want to write something onto. I don't want double sided cards from people.

This depends on who you are talking to.
I go into meetings with a book to write with. Only time I need to write is if I am seeing a doctor, and need to write the appointment down. But they usually have spaces for this on the back. It all depends on the industry you are in.

There is a proper way to hand a business card to someone, so.. I also believe that defacing it infront of them is rude, but this is a new type of mentality as most cards now are double sided. Back then the back was never printed on and it was more acceptable.

billbenson
02-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Interesting Woz. I have never heard of someone being insulted by writing on a business card. I imagine in your line of work presenting the image on your card is important and front and back is relevant. However, if I was at a trade show and gave a card to someone, they may want to write a quick note on it to remember who I am. I don't see that as having changed even though I come from a different era than you. I guess the bottom line would be whether you are giving your business card to someone who may want to write a note on it or not.

Wozcreative
02-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Some people design it on both sides, so that it isn't written on ;)
I know it is a pet peeve with a few people.. even more so is if it is a different size because it doesn't fit in a rolodex... haha. Mine doesn't.. why? Because it doesn't belong in a rolodex! (reference to the video below video)

Those that don't print double.. well I guess it is acceptable to write your notes on!

Tradeshows is a good example of when you would need to that is for sure.

Anyway if you have not seen this video of this clown.. check it out:
Your business card is CRAP! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk)

ClubPromo
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
I promote double sided cards because that is what most of my clients want. I like simple cards myself. A calendar on the back is nice, but most people dont want even that anymore. They want something that required bleeds and way too much design work. I have had one client in the past week request simple cards. It is kinda sad that more places rely on their card rather than their service to speak about their business. Something we should all keep in mind. The prettiest promotion cannot overshadow inferior service when all is said and done.

Marcomguy
02-10-2013, 01:36 PM
I like simple cards too. It lets me write a note to myself on the back, like "call him Wednesday" or "email her with samples." I wish people wouldn't UV-coat their cards, as it makes them difficult or impossible to write on with a ball pen.

johnmclaren101
02-11-2013, 12:15 AM
I am thinking about investing in some promotional items (pens, ipad micro cloth cleaner, post-it notepads, etc) and was wondering about WHO to give them out too. Past clients for sure.

My business is video production if that helps (general cost starts at about $1000 and is geared towards small to meduim businesses.)

If I gave out stuff to basically everyone I meet would that be smart or a waste?

I also have a facebook page and was thinking of offering a prize for people liking the page (1000th person gets a prize or something like that). I was thinking I could also get addresses and mail out magnet calendars to people with the new year coming up. Thoughts?

I would say, why not to your question for offering promotional products. They are the ones that act as silent messengers and salesman for your business. They also help in creation of brand image. So go for it.

ClubPromo
02-12-2013, 09:17 AM
I like simple cards too. It lets me write a note to myself on the back, like "call him Wednesday" or "email her with samples." I wish people wouldn't UV-coat their cards, as it makes them difficult or impossible to write on with a ball pen.

In my area...the card of preference is double sided and coated. I offer a one color single sided non coated card locally for $30.00 for 1000 but nobody except for one client has gone with that option to date. I make sure that option is known to them, it saves them 20 dollars over going with the full color card, and keeps it simple, which is indeed preferred by some.

ClubPromo
02-12-2013, 09:18 AM

In my area...the card of preference is double sided and coated. I offer a one color single sided non coated card locally for $30.00 for 1000 but nobody except for one client has gone with that option to date. I make sure that option is known to them, it saves them 20 dollars over going with the full color card, and keeps it simple, which is indeed preferred by some.