PDA

View Full Version : Pinterest - Share

Pack-Secure
09-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Pinterest was mentioned in another thread, just thought I would share mine.

Pack Secure (packsecure) on Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/packsecure/)

Will Cunningham
09-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Anyone else have a "love/hate" relationship with Pinterest? I love it with all the pictures, very interesting and enjoyable...

Until I realize I just spent an hour looking at pictures.

I have heard it is a great source of business if used right, any one had success with this?

Harold Mansfield
09-28-2012, 10:23 AM
I recently started using it as a place to post screenshots of my most recent work. And then I use that as sort of a portfolio on my Facebook page.
Other than that, I don't expect much from it, but that is convenient. Not sure if there is a Linked In integration but that would be nice too.

I think it's great for people in visual arts DIY and retail products. That seems to be the interest demographic. Haven't seen GreenOak around in a while, but I'll bet it's good for her with all of the antiques and other things that she gets into her shop.

KristineS
09-28-2012, 11:47 AM
I have a Pinterest account for EnMart and use it quite frequently. Of course, machine embroidery and sublimation are both visual disciplines, so Pinterest fits right in. I've posted pictures of cool stuff customers have made with our products, pictures of new products we've added, links to tutorials and designs that would work well with our products, all sorts of things. We get a decent number of repins and I know it drives traffic to the web site.

It's really like anything else in social media, Pinterest will work well for some people and not so well for others. You just have to know your market.

Wozcreative
09-28-2012, 12:14 PM
It works for people that sell novelty items, fashion, hand-made, bakeries with unique creativity, mostly niche markets.

I personally used it to collect design inspirations. Was thinking maybe I should post some of my pop surrealism paintings on there.

Pack-Secure
09-28-2012, 03:46 PM
We (some sellers groups I am part of) have made some shared boards to post our products and pics, this has been a nice experience.

vangogh
10-01-2012, 12:37 AM
I've been using it to pin images I like. I can't say I've spent a lot of time searching what others have pinned, though when I do I typically enjoy what I find. I think you can draw a lot of inspiration from it. Here's my Pinterest page (http://pinterest.com/vangogh99/) if you're interested. It's mainly around design topics.

I think the business appeal is just like Wozcreative said. It's certain kind of businesses who's products lend themselves to the kind of images posted that do well.

KristineS
10-01-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm almost afraid to start a personal Pinterest account. I like the whole organizational factor of it, but I'm not sure I'd be able to avoid becoming obsessed by all the subjects I want to know more about or all the ideas I'd find that I want to do.

From a business standpoint - I think Pinterest works very well for visually oriented businesses - like artists, photographers, embroiderers etc. I'm not sure it would work so well for a lawyer or a doctor, although I think it might in certain cases. The trick is to remember there are business and personal pages - and not to mix the two. That's the biggest problem I see with a lot of businesses that use Pinterest, they're pinning stuff that has nothing to do with their business and it dilutes their message.

Pack-Secure
10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I find that mixing personal interest with business has actually helped us. When you put some interesting personal type stuff people then follow you. Then when you post some of your business stuff they see that also. I also do some group boards where our group has a collective board that we post to.

vangogh
10-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure I'd be able to avoid becoming obsessed by all the subjects I want to know more about or all the ideas I'd find that I want to do.

Isn't that actually a good reason for opening an account? I know we all talk about these sites in the context of business, but isn't the real point of all of them to join their communities because you're interested in what you'll find? The obsessed part is on you, but I wouldn't not join something because you might become obsessed with it. I'd join and work on not becoming obsessed.

Wozcreative
10-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I find that mixing personal interest with business has actually helped us. When you put some interesting personal type stuff people then follow you. Then when you post some of your business stuff they see that also. I also do some group boards where our group has a collective board that we post to.

I find that people who follow you for a specific reason, they are interested in A, but when you post B, they unfriend you. A number of my followers on Twitter do this because I have a variety of what I post—but I don't mind as I have not yet quite figured out how to utilize twitter for my brand yet. I myself will unfollow user who post certain things on twitter, facebook or instagram. There is a reason why I followed you, and if you aren't meeting my expectations, I will un-follow. My friends also had numerously exclaimed that they do this frequently as well. It's all about being consistent.

Another example is a friend of mine has followed a recruiter who is very active in recruiting designers, developers etc, for fortune 500 companies. Unfortunately the posts that would come from her were pictures of her at a beach, pictures of cupcakes, employees non-stop goofing off in the office, at tradeshows etc.. he soon un-followed and then so did I.

I think someone else on the board posted a link to an FB account that mock's brands that post useless dribble on social media to get some kind of attention.

Pack-Secure
10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Apparently I did not make myself clear. I post interesting subjects that people follow. Now that they are following me, I then a post from time to time about my packaging supplies. I have made 4 new customers this way. 4 New customers may not seem like a lot, but how many people have they told?

To make it even clear how I use Pinterest. Use a movie or tv show for example, you have the persons interest and they have tuned in = my followers. Movies and TV shows have commercials = my product posts.

This strategy may not be for everybody, but when you have businesses following you from discussion boards and they buy packaging supplies it works for me. It is just a matter of targeting your audience when you advertise your Pinterest.

I also have some followers that just pick one or even a few boards they follow that may not include my business products, that is cool too, but this allows them to opt out of receiving my updates on my business products. That is the beauty of Pinterest.

vangogh
10-02-2012, 01:01 AM
I find that people who follow you for a specific reason, they are interested in A, but when you post B, they unfriend you.

One thing I like about Pinterest is you can follow certain boards people post and not necessarily every board. If someone pins images on a variety of topics and you're only interested in one or two of those topics, you only have to follow those one or two. That's something you don't get by default with other networks.

I post interesting subjects that people follow. Now that they are following me, I then a post from time to time about my packaging supplies.

Nothing wrong with that. As long as you post enough things to make people want to follow you, posting a few things more about your business at times is fine. Good for you picking up some new customers.

KristineS
10-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Isn't that actually a good reason for opening an account? I know we all talk about these sites in the context of business, but isn't the real point of all of them to join their communities because you're interested in what you'll find? The obsessed part is on you, but I wouldn't not join something because you might become obsessed with it. I'd join and work on not becoming obsessed.

You make me laugh, Steve! You're always trying to reform my bad habits.

KristineS
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Apparently I did not make myself clear. I post interesting subjects that people follow. Now that they are following me, I then a post from time to time about my packaging supplies. I have made 4 new customers this way. 4 New customers may not seem like a lot, but how many people have they told?

To make it even clear how I use Pinterest. Use a movie or tv show for example, you have the persons interest and they have tuned in = my followers. Movies and TV shows have commercials = my product posts.

This strategy may not be for everybody, but when you have businesses following you from discussion boards and they buy packaging supplies it works for me. It is just a matter of targeting your audience when you advertise your Pinterest.

I also have some followers that just pick one or even a few boards they follow that may not include my business products, that is cool too, but this allows them to opt out of receiving my updates on my business products. That is the beauty of Pinterest.

Different strategies work for different people and different businesses and I should know by now to never make a flat statement about what someone should always do or what someone should never do. Your strategy works for you and the proof is in the new customers it brings. One thing any savvy marketer will tell you is to test your theory. In this case you did and found it worked for you. It's kind of counter-intuitive, because conventional wisdom would say people who followed for a non business board would unfollow when you posted business items, but that doesn't seem to be happening with your followers. One of the fun things about any new method of marketing is the fact that the rules can and will be changed. Seems like you've found a rule that needs amending, at least when it comes to your business.

vangogh
10-02-2012, 01:01 PM
You're always trying to reform my bad habits.

I do what I can. :)