PDA

View Full Version : A place that does small changes to websites?

Johny_R
09-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I’m a small business owner and I have a website that was put together by a colleague that I’m no longer in touch with. I want to make a few small changes to my website like adding an email subscription form for my newsletters and perhaps adding a button for social media too. I don’t have much idea how a website really works so I need someone else to do these changes for me.

I’m pretty sure that a few small changes like this aren’t going to be enough work to get a web agency to help and I’m weary about just getting some random web developer to do this for me.

Anyone else have the same problem? I wish there was a place to get minor website changes done easily.

vangogh
09-07-2012, 11:23 AM
There are lots of people who will handle small changes like you want. Your project might be too small for a large agency to take on, but there are plenty for freelancers out there who would be happy to take you on as a client. The person you hire doesn't have to be random. Spend a little time researching a few people before you get in touch. You probably have a few criteria in mind for what you want in a web developer. Are you looking for someone local? Does your site run on a particular system? What languages were used to build it? Even a few simple questions like these narrows down the list of people to contact.

Spend a few nights with search results. Ask people you know who works on their site. Generate a list of a dozen or so people who can do the work you need and check out their sites. You should be able to get a feel for someone looking through their site. Pick a few to get in touch with and take it from there.

The worst case should be you aren't satisfied with the work, but if it's a small project there's not a lot of risk. Even if you have to go through a couple of people before finding the right person you'll still be ahead in the long run.

I wish there was a place to get minor website changes done easily.

There are places. It depends what your site was built on and on your own skill and knowledge. Usually if you want to make changes to your site you either need to spend some time learning how or pay someone a good deal of money to develop the site so you don't have to.

Pack-Secure
09-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Is your site built on a platform by a specific web host? I find visiting the forums of the web host very helpful. You can ask questions and pick the brains of people working on the same host that you are, generally these people are willing to share their knowledge.

If you post on these forums that you are looking for web work to be done, many will be willing to step up and charge a small fee for what you are looking for.

Harold Mansfield
09-07-2012, 05:37 PM
How is your site built? On a CMS like WordPress? Joomla? Flash? Pure HTML and CSS? It's important to remember that not every freelancer does every possible thing. You'll need to be specific about what kindof site you have, to know who to search for to help you. You can't just look for "A website person". Most people specialize in a few specific areas. But they all can do HTML. At least I would hope so.

Pack-Secure
09-07-2012, 06:05 PM
New name and site are looking good, Harold.

Harold Mansfield
09-07-2012, 06:11 PM
New name and site are looking good, Harold.
Thanks. I feel good about it. Appreciate the kind words.

billbenson
09-07-2012, 08:44 PM
You might also read through a dummies book on building a web site so you know some of the terminology and what goes into making a decent site.

HireLogoDesign
09-10-2012, 12:56 AM
I do my newsletters through icontact. Makes my life easy! So no advice there for you. Any other changes you need you can post here and I'll see if I can direct you to where you need to be or how to do it.