PDA

View Full Version : Color sells!

Remipub
12-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I admit I found this information on a direct marketing oriented website, unfortunately I don't remember which one it was! I printed it off, but forgot to note where I got it. But I thought this was interesting data:

4-color increases advertising response rates up to 60%.
With 25 to 35 year-old readers, color is an expectation in advertising.
Psychologists state that color impression can account for 60% of the acceptance or rejection of that product or service.
Consumers prefer photographic quality graphics over ads with line art.
Advertisers are perceived more credible with ads that have color photos.
Consumer responses are 30% to 60% higher when 4-color is used. Using 4-color increases the chances that advertising will be read.
Consumers remember color.
After 24 hours, consumer recall of full color ads is 53% higher than 2-color ads, and 63% higher than black & white ads.
Color sells products and ideas up to 85% more effectively.
Color accelerates learning, retention and recall up to 78%.

REFERENCES:
Color Psychology Index 2001
The Direct Marketing Assoc.1996-2001
Newspaper National Network 1999
Signaling Quality and Credibility in Directional Advertising: The influence of Color and Graphics on Choice 1999
American Marketing Association 1996
Newspaper Agency Corporation 1995

Vivid Color Zack
12-11-2008, 08:01 PM
BIG LETTERS HELP TOO!!!

Last night I was at a networking event and I put out a bunch of flyers and a bunch of postcards. The flyers and postcards contain roughly the same information but the text is way bigger and more colorful on the flyers instead of a detailed graphic thats very business looking, not a far stretch from boring, on the post card. I won't post them here since me and Remi and I are offering pretty much the same produts/services, but I saw person after person pick up my big text flyer and ignore the one I spent so much more time designing.

Use full color for everything. The price difference is so small now, it's not like you're dealing with kinkos (i hope) and you're paying 5 x more for color copies.

vangogh
12-11-2008, 08:47 PM
I knew color was important and had a great effect on our emotional response to a thing, but I certainly didn't know all those stats.

It's interesting that 4-color is so much more effective than 2-color. Guess it's time to study color some more.

orion_joel
12-12-2008, 12:37 AM
I think that you could actually improve the effect of colour even more if you were to do a little research into which colours people are more comfortable with, and how different colour insight different emotions.

Some exmaples might be that blue is seen as a success colour, while red is often the colour most associated with danger, but this is something that could be greatly expanded on.

Vivid Color Zack
12-12-2008, 06:41 PM
^ The "power tie" theory. Interested in learning more about color association.

Marcomguy
12-12-2008, 07:33 PM
^ The "power tie" theory. Interested in learning more about color association.

I have a Communication Tip on my website that gives a quick explanation of what the most popular website colors mean. Click on "Communications Tip Archive" on my Home page. It's the June 2008 tip.

(Dear Mods: If it's not OK to refer to my own web content in the forum, please delete this post.)

orion_joel
12-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Not even just the power tie theory, but colour associated both from conscious and sub conscious mind.

What are the Best Colors for Advertising? (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-best-colors-for-advertising.htm) - This article gives a little information on best colours for advertising.

What Color is Your Business? (http://sbinformation.about.com/cs/advertising/a/colors.htm) -This site gives a little on the science of colours, and what some of the colours mean.

I think combining colours for the human perception is definitely a science of sorts.

cbscreative
12-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Marcom, when it's relevant to the discussion, the link is fine. It sure beats typing a long post unnecessarily. It's also a little different for "members" to post links too. It's the hit and run posts that we filter out (people who are only here for a link drop and you never see them again).

Marcomguy
12-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks, cbs. Here's a link to the tip Web Colors: What Do They Mean? (http://www.accessconsultinginc.com/CommTipArchive.html#6-08)

KristineS
12-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I did some research on colors and what they mean for a web site I wrote a few years back. It was actually quite fascinating. Particularly when you started looking at the meaning of color in different cultures. You'd find things like white is the color of innocence and weddings in America, but it it the color worn for mourning and funerals in Korea. It just goes to show that colors don't necessarily have universal meanings and you have to think about where you're advertising.

Ad-Vice_Man
12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Some of these stats such as the response rate, assume a color ad in a sea of black and white. Thus making the ad stand out. If every ad but yours in a given publication were 4 color and your's were a tastefully done B&W you ad would stand out more. Look at the B&W ads now on TV. They are there to get your attention in a full color medium

Steve B
12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Good point. I've been thinking that also - at some point when everyone else is reading the same articles and advice - all of the rules get changed again.

In the 70's there was a study that "proved" that bright and often loud colors in a restaurant made people eat more. Just after that, there were a lot of pinks and oranges in the fast food rests. Now, all the restaurants have gotten away from that thinking - or, maybe it was never really true in the first place.

vangogh
12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
That is a good point. One thing I've seen mentioned quite a bit if you have a product sitting on a shelf is to consider the products that will be sitting next to it. If you want your product to stand out it needs to have packaging that differs from the others. Of course it still needs to fit in with your product, but if everyone else is using bright colors the black and white packaging is the one that will attract attention.

Remipub
12-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Some of the studies I've read - when talking about the pysychology of color - state that much of the reason for increased response and credibility, etc. has to do with the fact that we see in color. Our lives are lived in full color, so when we see an advertisement in color it subcontiously makes it more believable.

I don't think that necessarily applies in packaging because the package isn't trying to tell a story, it just wants to get noticed.

orion_joel
12-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Hmm, i do have a feeling that colour probably does play at least some part in the design of packaging. Maybe more so to the extent of being seen then just to colour the packaging.

I do not know that the colour thing is a absolutely massive consideration in packaging but i can say that when i worked in retail there were definitely some products that stood out a lot more because of their colour then anything else.

vangogh
12-16-2008, 10:04 AM
It should also be pointed out that we're kind of talking about 2 different things here. Black and white packaging in a sea of colorfully packaged products will stand out and get you noticed. It won't necessarily help lead to a sale. The original idea behind this thread is that color leads to a higher response rate.

So if everyone around you is using color and you go black and white, you'll probably get noticed more. More people will pick up your product, but less who do will actually buy than had you used color. Depending on the numbers that could mean more or less sales.

Are you looking for more traffic or more conversions? Likely both, but depending on your current situation one might be better than the other.

Remipub
12-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Hmm, i do have a feeling that colour probably does play at least some part in the design of packaging. Maybe more so to the extent of being seen then just to colour the packaging.

Agreed. What I meant to say was that with packaging, the colors are not trying to tell a story or sell a concept. Vangogh said it perfectly in the post just above this one.

But no doubt the science of color goes into package design. It's interesting to look at different products to see how they use colors for packaging. Some will use full color and photos, while many others use spot colors and/or colored foils to try and grab your attention.

I'm sure a book could be written on the subject - in fact one probably has!

KristineS
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I think color also plays a role in the perception of a product. Black and white packaging is typically used for generic or less expensive products. High end products typically have lush, full color packaging.

When used in an advertisement, black and white can be very striking and stand out. When used in packaging, I think it tends to give the impression that the product being packaged is less expensive.

Ad-Vice_Man
12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I think color also plays a role in the perception of a product. Black and white packaging is typically used for generic or less expensive products. High end products typically have lush, full color packaging.

When used in an advertisement, black and white can be very striking and stand out. When used in packaging, I think it tends to give the impression that the product being packaged is less expensive.

I'm looking at my Ipod box (it's an older model) Hence more expensive at the time.

It's a white box with black/gray tone images (with the exception of the apple emplem)

Classy

orion_joel
12-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Apple always seems to have been about style and class, which is really what i would place most of the black and while in. If you remember as well the original ipod's only came in black and while. it was only with the mini and nano's that colours first started appearing.

vangogh
12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
But before the iPods, the iMacs came in a variety of colors.

Evan
12-19-2008, 10:29 PM
With 25 to 35 year-old readers, color is an expectation in advertising.

And practically required if targeting to anyone below the age of 25.

orion_joel
12-19-2008, 11:56 PM
True imacs did come in the fruit colours. I cannot actually remember if they started with black or white or if they just went straight to the colour's on them.

I think it would still stand to reason that in both instances (beige to colours for imac, and black and white to colours for ipod) is what gave and is still giving them probably the ipods more so the on going appeal. If they had continued with black and white ipods the market would have been limited. But black and white bought the stylish aura to the product which they followed it up with the big impact colours.

billbenson
12-22-2008, 08:54 AM
For what it is worth, my wife wanted a pink laptop. Also wanted a large screen. Only laptop that fit that bill was Dell. There was one other pink laptop out there, but it only came in a 15" screen and she wanted the 17". This was about 6 months ago. So their is another aspect to color sells. I'm traveling for christmas, so I'll be the only guy in the airport with the pink laptop :)

vangogh
12-22-2008, 10:59 AM
And here I am over 25 and preferring laptops that come in one of the basic colors. I guess I most like the brushed metal look.

billbenson
12-22-2008, 11:33 AM
The point being they sold the laptop because of the color I guess. Also on size and brand name. Wife's laptop, so the color choice is hers. I really hate using laptops. Maybe just because I'm not used to them though. Straying off topic though.

vangogh
12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't say color alone was the reason they sold. The color was more of a selling point for those people that wanted something other than the usual. It fits in with the whole design culture at Apple and reinforces so many things about their brand. Creative, fun, etc

KristineS
12-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Black and/or white can be a very high end color. How many women have been advised that their "little black dress" is the perfect outfit for any social occasion? Colors mean different things depending on how they're used and for what purpose.

orion_joel
12-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Kristine that is so true, however also i think part of an illusion made by society. There are so many things that linked with a colour or expectation because it is what expectations may come from society.

I think the key to many things and this is not even focused on products or sales, is taking something that is socially accepted, and putting a spin that grabs attention on it. Whether that be changing a colour or whatever it is the attention grabbing part that is the thing that should be sought after.

Evan
12-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I'll be the only guy in the airport with the pink laptop :)

Thanks for the info. Now we'll know how to spot you in the airport! ":eek: I think I know who this is!!! :eek:"

Watchdog
12-28-2008, 10:05 AM
I used to have a four color business logo and cards and it wasn't worth the extra print cost in my opinion at the time. Printing cost seems to have lowered now that we use online printer.

However, we did add two colors to ShopPass logo a green and yellow but to sperate the words Shop Pass.

orion_joel
12-28-2008, 10:20 AM
hmmm, a quick and easy laptop disguise can be had for $20 bucks

vangogh
12-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Would that disguise include funny glasses and a mustache?

Bud, why do you think the color cards weren't worth the expense? I'm guessing you did get any more calls than you did without. Personally I do notice business cards that stand apart from others. Now in all honesty unless I'm interested to begin with in your business card I'm not going to call. Your business card isn't going to sell me, but I do notice the cards that have more color, are printed on a better card stock, and are well designed, are the ones that end up geting saved.

cbscreative
12-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Maybe we should clarify that color with good design sells, but that ought to be obvious (not that the obvious doesn't get often overlooked though).

In my experience with business cards, the design may not "sell" directly, but it often opens the door, while a cheap business card can effectively close the door. To me, a business card says a lot about a business. I won't buy just because of a nice card, but I have often made a decision to not buy because of a card.

I look at it this way, and I'm sure others do too. Business cards are cheap. Even if you pay $200 or more, that is a small investment for making a good impression (I'm using a high enough number to illustrate a point). There are few if any things so inexpensive in business. To skimp on something so affordable is a signal to me that the business is cutting corners and sacrificing quality.

I believe there are very few exceptions to the rule that a nice card can make a significant difference. It could easily be the "first impression" for many of the recipients.

KristineS
12-29-2008, 12:48 PM
I think a nice business card is a must. Business cards are a relatively small expense. You should also keep in mind that a nice business card really just translates into a good design, a quality paper stock and a good print job. Your cards don't have to be double fold and gold foiled and all the rest to be quality cards.

I'm with you Steve, I've decided not to do business with a company based on their business cards. If they look cheap or homemade I wonder what else the company may be skimping on in order to cut costs.

Vivid Color Zack
01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm with you Steve, I've decided not to do business with a company based on their business cards. If they look cheap or homemade I wonder what else the company may be skimping on in order to cut costs.

I completely agree.

Your business card is pretty much the first thing you're telling a prospective client about your business. If the card says "I printed this on a desktop printer and used scissors to cut it out so I could save 20 dollars" people notice. Especially the people that will really matter to your business. What's the first thing you do when you get a business card? You probably flick it to feel how thick it is and give it a quick glance, if it's a nice card you tell the owner "This is a nice card." If you're not getting that response maybe you should look into updating your cards.

We're all trying to get bigger clients and larger accounts right? Who thinks the people making decisions for these larger accounts won't notice a nice card vs a boring poorly designed card?

Personally I keep all of my business I receive in a binder with business card insert sheets. I write anything of interest on the back of the card (assuming I can write on the card - something to keep in mind when making your own) such as the persons specialty or whatever we talked about in conversation. This allows me to quickly find whoever I may need. I do keep cards that I don't expect to need or use only because someday I might change my mind, but I keep them in the very back of my binder.

The CHEAPEST cards we offer are 10pt Ivory, for $15 (no cost difference for full color or bleeds, if your printer charges you for bleeds you're getting ripped off) They're great if you're looking to save money and have something to give out with your name and information on it, but this paper will never really stand out, even with a great design. You can spend an extra 12 dollars and get some 14pt glossy cards that will make a great design pop and have the thickness and feel that will make people want to actually look at your card. It just doesn't seem like saving 12 dollars is really helping anyone looking to really make their business succeed. Obviously there are more impressive paper stocks out there and an infinite number of creative options to make your cards stand out, I'm just saying there are cheap options out there for very decent cards.

If you guys want to see some REALLY cool cards check these out. These are NOT my products, but if you're interested in something really unique I can definitely help you.

http://creativebits.org/cool_business_card_designs

http://creativebits.org/cool_business_card_designs_part_2