PDA

View Full Version : Business name ideas

FreedomLuvr
08-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Hey everyone,

I am planning to launch an online marketing freelance company and am trying to choose name. I wanted to use my name Lauren Ashley and call it LA-online-marketing.com, but part of me thinks that people will strictly associate it with Los Angeles. What do you think?

I thought of using a more creative name but I am tired of using names that need further explanation. Having online marketing in the name is quick and to the point. I was thinking it may be better to use something other than online marketing tho for SEO purposes?

huggytree
08-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey everyone,

I am planning to launch an online marketing freelance company and am trying to choose name. I wanted to use my name Lauren Ashley and call it LA-online-marketing.com, but part of me thinks that people will strictly associate it with Los Angeles. What do you think?

I thought of using a more creative name but I am tired of using names that need further explanation. Having online marketing in the name is quick and to the point. I was thinking it may be better to use something other than online marketing tho for SEO purposes?

you have a nice name, easy to spell and pronounce...your lucky!

id use the name...i also like it when it says what you do in your company name

i wouldnt use LA as an abbreviation....because of the CA. thing

spell the whole name out....

cheryl
08-26-2012, 03:38 AM
I agree that I personally wouldn't go with LA Online Marketing. SEO-wise, I don't think the 'Online Marketing' bit would be a concern - that's exactly what a lot of people would search for - but the name as a whole isn't going to be the best for you.

laonlinemarketing.com has already been taken, as you can imagine, so you won't be able to get the world's most obvious domain name for your company. If someone remembers your name but not your URL, there's no way that searching for your business name is going to help them find you organically. You'll get lost amongst hundreds of other 'LA' results.

Before thinking up a name, do make the decision about the scale of your business. I really recommend thinking about every future possibility right from the start. I originally used my name as part of my business name, but then discovered that:

A - I'm not yet married, and my business name would have to change when my name did.
B - I was having people requesting jobs from me, and realised nobody would want to be employed under my business name.

I took this on entirely intending to be a small, one-woman business where my name wouldn't be an issue, but opportunities arise further down the line that make you realise you should have thought on a bigger scale. I changed my business name, took my name out of it and really worked on creating a new brand and it's been the best decision I ever made, even though I'm still not married (9 months to go) and still haven't employed anyone.

HireLogoDesign
08-26-2012, 04:40 AM
luvonlinemarketing

huggytree
08-26-2012, 09:16 AM
A - I'm not yet married, and my business name would have to change when my name did.

you dont have to change your company name just because your last name has changed....its not against the law to leave it

what if your last name becomes some long, hard to pronounce name?

id use the name and who cares if YOUR last name changes back and forth a few times through various marriages...the company name can stay

Harold Mansfield
08-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Some basic tips.

If the web is going to be your source of leads, name your business based on what you can find as a memorable, or keyword domain. Don't force the domain. Change the name of the business to match the domain.
Stay away from dashes in your URL if at all possible. Better yet, Just stay away from them all together.
Stay away from numbers unless it's something like "123marketing" or using your area code (if doing business locally)
"LA" WILL be associated with the city. Your first and last name.com would be much better. (You should have that anyway)
"Marketing" is a tough keyword to find in a name without using dashes or CCTLD's. Search for names using "Marketing" first.
Nothing wrong with a .net

I'm in the process of changing my business name right now because I made some fundamental mistakes when I started out, and based my business name on what I learned about marketing BEFORE the web. I ended up with a name that sounded and looked good in the yellow pages (which I don't even advertise in) , but was horrible for online, un memorable and made for some really long e-mail addresses. Basically it screamed "This guy hasn't read a marketing book since the 80's".

You should have "yourname".com reguardless. Even if you don't put your main website on it, you can use it for SEO purposes.

Be deligent in your search. Yes, all of the obvious good stuff is registered. But if you get creative, you can still find something. You may also luck up on something that has been dropped. As an online marketing professional, your domain more than anyone elses will be an immediate representation of your skills.

AccountantSalary
08-26-2012, 11:14 AM
The only problem I see with using your full name is that it sounds too much like Laura Ashley, the designer. But an initial and a name might be interesting such as Lashley or LauraA.

billbenson
08-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Shorter is almost always better as well (for a domain)

Angelina86
08-29-2012, 06:57 AM
I thought Lauren Ashley sounded familiar lol...Before I saw the post from AccountantSalary I was going to say Lauren Ashley is perfect for a business name and it is...

I like Lashley...

What about LaurAsh Marketing Worldwide

I think Lauren K would be cool

Or maybe Marketing Worldwide (not sure if this already exists...I'm just trying to be helpful by throwing some names out)

World Marketing of Lauren Ashley

Hope I was helpful :)

Marius081
09-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I would suggest you to use a different name, unless if you'll be 100% in and work with no employees.

If you use your name people expect to get an answer from that person.
If your name will become a brand, that's other story...

I short and easy to remember word could be a great way to start your business.

An example: on a local market there is a brand "Zumzi" and the logo is a bee :). They promote limited offers on a low price.

Wozcreative
09-03-2012, 02:59 PM
You could always use your name lauren and then an additional word in conjunction with what you do. For example LaurenMarketing? It does flow off the tongue well.. I used Woz(the beginning of my last name), and combined it with "creative" to describe what I do. I think it works well, is short and looks good when spelled.

jamesray50
09-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I didn't want to use my last name for my business name because if I did remarry then my last name would be different than my company name. Although my company email has my last name in it. (Go figure). Anyway, the way I came up with my company name was to write down ideas about my company, what I wanted to achieve as a business, description of my services and how they were different or better than other companies. I wrote down adjectives to describe my business, then a looked those words up in a thesarus until I found words I liked. Then I did a domain name search. That is how I came up with Top Notch Bookkeeping.

Good luck!

Jsaddington
09-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Don't be frightened to use your own name, you as the brand can be a great way to get the business going. Once you start building a client base you can always develop your brand.