PDA

View Full Version : Fireman needs side business

Vivid Color Zack
12-10-2008, 03:56 PM
One of my best friends is a fireman. He has a lot of days off and a lot of time to bother me and convince me not to work on my own business when I should be focused on making money.

I need to get him into SOMETHING to keep him occupied when he's off work. He's interested in a franchise but scared of the rick involved. This will have to be something exciting or fun or he won't care enough to do it. I am trying to get him interested in flipping cars for profit, I know a lot of people do that on the side and make decent extra cash.

Any ideas for something that wouldn't require his daily attention? That he could work on his days off and it wouldn't cripple the business while he's at work for 1-3 days at a time?

vangogh
12-10-2008, 05:35 PM
What's he interested in? I find it very hard to choose a business for someone without at least knowing something about them. The truth is there are thousands of businesses your friend could do that would fit the requirements. If you don't mind sharing a few details about his interests I think we might be able to come up with some ideas.

Evan
12-10-2008, 09:45 PM
My father was a firefighter for 30 years, so he was in a similar boat. He still continues to operate his pool repairs and leak detection business. While it's been profitable, he's never looked to live off of the income, so he can be selective with customers. And since his retirement, he has been even more selective.

Franchises I'd think would be less risky than starting a "local" competing business. People know Quizno's Subs, but not Joe Schmo's Subs. The former though can be much more costly, but you're paying for the name. My only issue with him potentially starting a franchise is his lack of time to dedicate to it (sounds crazy!). To have a full-time job and then open a franchise is not easy. Plus he'd be responsible for hiring and training staff, and handling most of the business aspects of the business. It's now like he can open shop and say "OK, I'll see you guys in a month... Let's make some money!"

Since I mentioned Quizno's, I frequent one in Providence. They know me by name there, and the owner and her husband both are always there. And they're the ones helping at the register or making the sandwiches, not sitting in the back playing Solitaire. So in that regard, I'd recommend staying away from a franchise if he won't be able to dedicate more time to it.

If he can find a business he can run out of his home, he'd be in a better situation. Heck, he could register at H&R Block to take a few tax courses and pick up hours during tax season there. Once he feels comfortable with taxes, he could open his own small tax prep firm. The best thing about tax prep is the low start up costs for that. Invest $5K, purchase a few ads in the paper, print up some business cards, and get decent accounting software (i.e. QuickBooks).

Have him figure out something that he's interested in and have him pursue it. Seeing as you manage your business, you could always help him get things going as well incase he has issues.

Whatever he does, please, please, please make sure he keeps his business seperate from himself (even if he's a sole proprietor).

Vivid Color Zack
12-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Oh I would definitely make sure he gets set up safely and his own name/credit/life isn't at risk. Taxes would be a great idea if he wasn't so against numbers, in his own words he'd say "I'm a FIREMAN I picked this job to get AWAY from numbers" haha, though he's a bright guy and it's mostly joking, I can't see him doing anything crunching numbers without hating it.

He's probably better suited for some kind of hands on, outdoors if possible gig. He's got decent mechanical skills and can figure things out pretty well, but far from an expert in any field.

Hobbies include:

Mountain Biking, Surfing, The beach, the gym, camping, model/RC Cars, boating...

Does anyone have experience with or as a personal trainer? Sounds like something that could keep his attention, have flexible hours, easy to market (especially as a fire fighter) maybe I'll talk to him about that some. Honestly he's one of my best friends and I have a hard time saying no I don't want to go ride for a few hours instead of staying at work some afternoons. He's bad for my business so he needs his own!

Blessed
12-11-2008, 08:40 AM
You mention that he's mechanical and he likes boating... does he do his own repairs? If so he could always try to get into that type of business too. - Small engine repairs - lawnmowers, boat motors, 4-wheelers, etc...

vangogh
12-11-2008, 09:50 AM
When you mentioned personal trainer my first thought was it sounded perfect. Your friend would just need to find a few clients and then schedule a couple or three days a week to train them. But then I realized he could get called to the fire department at any time. I wonder if anything where you need to specifically keep an appointment each week would work.

Maybe better is the idea of engines and motors. Then it becomes something he does whenever he's not at the firehouse.

Something online would probably meet the time requirements, but it sounds like running a website isn't the thing here.

Evan
12-11-2008, 01:59 PM
But then I realized he could get called to the fire department at any time.

Not sure how his department runs, but usually you're not randomly called in unless it's for overtime. That is usually offered to the most senior captains, lieutenants, or privates based on their rank, and it gradually trickles down.

vangogh
12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Maybe the personal trainer idea would work well then.

KristineS
12-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Personal trainer sounds like a good idea to me. It could be as little or as much as he wants to do and it's flexible. Personal trainers can make pretty good money too.

Vivid Color Zack
12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Not sure how his department runs, but usually you're not randomly called in unless it's for overtime. That is usually offered to the most senior captains, lieutenants, or privates based on their rank, and it gradually trickles down.

They do OT based on who has taken how much... How to word that so it makes sense... They try to keep it fair, if Joe takes 60 hours last month and Alex only has 15 Alex has priority when he wants more OT. However, everyone wants OT and if he doesn't want it someone will quickly pick up an open shift. There are MANDATORY call ins and everyone rotates on that list, if they can't fill a shift due to illness or injury and you haven't been forced to come in for a while, you're probably on top of that list. Probably one mandatory per 6 month period or so, he's been doing this for like 2 years now and I'm starting to understand how everything works better.

I'll talk to him about it some more, where we live the small motor repair might be difficult on such a small scale. Nobody mows their lawn around here, it's all Associations and City stuff, I don't know too much about how to pursue those clients. But boats and jet skiis could be good we're close to the coast. I'll look into that a little more too.

cbscreative
12-11-2008, 05:53 PM
You mentioned that he likes outdoor work. I know the lawn care and landscaping business has its share of firefighters working on the side. Maybe he would be happy being like a lot of his peers. They even joke that "all firemen cut grass" so the two seem to work well enough together.

Blessed
12-12-2008, 09:34 AM
You mentioned that he likes outdoor work. I know the lawn care and landscaping business has its share of firefighters working on the side. Maybe he would be happy being like a lot of his peers. They even joke that "all firemen cut grass" so the two seem to work well enough together.

Steve beat me to it - I forgot about it yesterday but then came back today to mention that a friend of mine's husband is a firefighter and he and a couple other guys from the department run a landscaping service - it seems to work well for them, lawns and landscaping spring/summer/fall and then Christmas lights and some snow/ice removal stuff in the winter.

cbscreative
12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I just finished a meeting a few minutes ago with a client who has a business he is working on. I can't reveal too many details, but it would involve outdoor work, very reasonable startup costs and would be perfect in California which is very high on his target market list. It would involve renting and setting up a unit for outdoor events such as weddings. He plans to make the opportunity available in January so I would be glad to provide info once I am allowed to. I think your friend just might like this.

Vivid Color Zack
12-12-2008, 05:59 PM
definitely keep this thread in mind, I'll send you a pm or something end of jan if I don't hear back. Thanks!

cbscreative
12-12-2008, 06:48 PM
No problem, Zack. Hopefully you'll hear more sooner. I think this would work very well with the situation you described.

Vivid Color Zack
12-12-2008, 07:44 PM
He really wants to start a "Burrito Store" just sell burritos and do everything chipotle does but mix the stuff up so your burrito isn't so segmented. I think he only wants to do this because his segmented burrito brings him sadness.

I told him it's an ok idea but all chipotle has to do is start mixing up their ingredients and bam, burrito store loses the only edge it had.

Hopefully we can think of something better than "Burrito Store"

Evan
12-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Restaurants have high start up costs, and high supply costs. The cost of the food is usually 50-60% of the sales price, which sounds good. But once you subtract all your expenses, they don't always seem to be the most profitable. And in today's economy, many more restaurants are closing than opening up.

billbenson
12-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Personally, I would run the other way from anything "retail".

The 99 recession changed the way businesses operate. I think this one is going to shut down a lot of brick and mortar companies, never to return. There are certain things that will always need to be sold locally. Clothing for example. Sizes just very to much. Walmart will also do well I suspect, because instead of going to Circuit City (they are shutting down after Jan 1) for a TV, you don't have much choice in my area but to go to Walmart.

I think this will give a strong push for companies to sell online instead of retail stores. Overhead is just so much lower. More people are computer literate as well.

kenlew
02-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Have him contact the entrepreneur authority <link removed>. See if they have someone in his geographical area that can help him find a suitable franchise - they will help him identify a good match for his interests (and there is no charge).

huggytree
02-05-2009, 09:34 PM
the nice thing with being a fireman is you have so much free time you could run your own business almost full time.

i know of a few in the construction business...home inspectors,roofers, i know of 1 electrician

does he want to dig my sewers this summer?

huggytree
02-08-2009, 09:26 AM
my town (small) has a Firemans Calendar

its funny because you'd expect them to be 1/2 naked or something...they are not...imagine they had a fireman calendar on Andy Griffith in Mayberry...thats what it looks like...it sells well with all the Aunt Bee's in my hometown

your friend could organize it and sell it as a job

Paul Elliott
02-09-2009, 11:40 PM
One of my best friends is a fireman. He has a lot of days off and a lot of time to bother me and convince me not to work on my own business when I should be focused on making money.

I need to get him into SOMETHING to keep him occupied when he's off work.

Who wants him to have some other business more, you or him? ;)

Paul

bwat05
02-15-2009, 08:42 PM
My neighbor is a fireman/paramedic.
He and a couple of friends are in a small construction business together.
They do everything from driveways to residential rehab. When the market was better they would flip houses as well.
He is very handy though, and he seems to know how to fix just about everything associated with a house.

IT-GUY
02-20-2009, 06:51 PM
I am trying to get him interested in flipping cars for profit, I know a lot of people do that on the side and make decent extra cash.

Sometimes your first idea is your answer.:)

Since the economy is down, (housing big time) flipping houses would probably not be a great idea, but flipping cars could be a good way to go, IMHO. A lot of people will probably keep their older autos for awhile.

If he has the skills (or would be willing to go to a trade school and learn) to do repair work on cars, this would be a great time to get into it. And even as the economy improves, there will always be people needed to do brakes, tires, and body work.

Actually he could possibly hire on with a tire dealer, body shop, or whatever without formal training, if they really need someone, and he would not get bored doing some of the same things day after day.

Maybe the engines will last for 100,000 miles, but they still need tires and brakes for sure.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Vivid Color Zack
02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Who wants him to have some other business more, you or him? ;)

Paul

Haha, I think he's pretty eager. He sees other people he works with that have something they enjoy that makes them side money and he's always talking about how he's jealous of what they're doing.

I'm helping him with the car flipping thing, I ordered a book this week actually, hasn't shown up yet, but it seems highly rated from readers and it's not a MLM setup so that's always good.

I figure I can spend some free time in the next few months helping him get it off the ground (business license, bank accounts, resellers permit, what licenses he needs) and then he can put however much effort he wants into it. He's considering trying to focus on classic cars, I think that would be pretty cool for him to have his side business revolve around something he's passionate about. I'm just worried he's going to end up keeping the cars he tries to flip, haha.

cbscreative
02-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Fortunately for me, I've never flipped a car yet. I've had only minor fender benders, very few of them, and not even one of those since 1996.

Paul Elliott
02-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Haha, I think he's pretty eager. He sees other people he works with that have something they enjoy that makes them side money and he's always talking about how he's jealous of what they're doing.

I'm helping him with the car flipping thing, I ordered a book this week actually, hasn't shown up yet, but it seems highly rated from readers and it's not a MLM setup so that's always good.

I figure I can spend some free time in the next few months helping him get it off the ground (business license, bank accounts, resellers permit, what licenses he needs) and then he can put however much effort he wants into it. He's considering trying to focus on classic cars, I think that would be pretty cool for him to have his side business revolve around something he's passionate about. I'm just worried he's going to end up keeping the cars he tries to flip, haha.

Be sure you set boundaries. He may be very jealous of the success of others yet not willing to put in the consistent effort to get what they have achieved. Learn to recognize this early, if that is his pattern.

Be sure you get him involved at all stages, so he is doing the work with you as the adviser. Otherwise, you may find yourself doing all the work long after he should have taken over all the business.

I've personally made these mistakes and I offer you the warnings so you don't retrace my footsteps. :eek:

Paul

Blessed
02-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Fortunately for me, I've never flipped a car yet. I've had only minor fender benders, very few of them, and not even one of those since 1996.

My middle little sister flipped one last year... she walked away from it with a small scratch on her leg, the car however was totaled.... My Dad was very grateful that she happened to be driving my Mom's car that he was wanting to sell instead of his 1980's model Jaguar that he had just finished putting a new motor in...

greenoak
02-27-2009, 08:13 AM
ditto with paul....and you might lose a friend.... what if he doesnt like it/isnt any good at it and its all your fault?

i always like the honey do idea...aka rent a husband.. i believe there would be a big need for this kind of business..
...good for a realiable guy who can do all the kinds of easy stuff around the house...the kind a nice husband would do....think of all the old ladies or single women or even husbands who would gladly pay for some help....with high up lights that need changed , light hauling, so many odd jobs, .. anything taking manly skills and strength or a truck,,.....etc etc......
the key would be convincing the women or old folks that he was trustworthy....
rent a fireman...sounds fun and safe...and a good name for a business..
ann

Vivid Color Zack
03-04-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't think that's a bad idea. However, I think associating his business with being a fireman might bring up some conflicts. If he ever messed anything up he is representing the fire department/city he works for too.

He just bought a nova to sell, hopefully this becomes profitable and fun for him.