PDA

View Full Version : Web-based POS for Mac needed

Squenz
08-09-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm looking for new Point Of Sale software. It must be web-based and compatible with Mac browsers. I would like comprehensive reporting, importing and exporting of data, and inventory management. I've looked at some iPad-based systems but I'm afraid they are too simple.

There are so many options, I'm really hoping someone has a favorite solution that they can suggest. Thank you!

vangogh
08-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Wouldn't something web based work on any computer? I realize not all web pages work the same on all browsers and operating systems, but I wouldn't think there would be Mac and Windows specific web apps. Or are you looking for something that also has an offline component?

I've looked for Mac POS software in the past and Checkout (http://www.checkoutapp.com/) was the program I kept coming back to. I didn't buy it, but mainly because it was more expensive than what I needed it for. The cost was for a lot of things I didn't need. It does both online and offline POS.

Josh Jasper
08-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi Squenz,

I'm with ShopKeep POS. We have a web based back end, and an iPad register app. The register software is easy to use, but performs all of the features a robust touch screen system can , as well as performing offline, which a browser based system might not do. The back-end, replacing a server you need to maintain is cloud based, and has all of the inventory features you need. We also have a Mac based app if you feel a desire to use that, which uses the same back end as the iPad.

If you're interested in learning more, drop me a line - josh@shopkeep.com , and I'll work with you to see if shopkeep is the best match for your business. We're definitely not the "too simple" app based iPad register you've probably considered.

Regards

Josh Jasper
ShopKeep POS

vangogh
08-12-2012, 12:28 PM
I guess it depends on whether or not you need the offline component. If all your orders will be taken online you shouldn't need an operating system specific POS, but if you do need to coordinate between online and offline sales or maybe need something that will grab the data from the web app for use locally, I can see the need to make sure what you get works specifically with your operating system.

Will all your sales be online? Or is there also a physical store involved?

Squenz
08-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Brick and mortar. No online sales yet. I hope to add that at some point in the future.

vangogh
08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
So the web based part in all this is more for the future than now. I take it when there is an online component it'll be an ecommerce site where customers can buy directly through the site.

Squenz
08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
By web-based I mean the application and associated database are hosted on the software developer's server as opposed to my computer. This is important because I don't want hardware breakdowns, viruses, or the purchase of new computers to interfere with running the cash register. I don't want to ever migrate all of my info to a new computer. So, web-based software addresses this need. It really has nothing to do with ecommerce. I'm just tired of my PC crashing and ending my business for the day.

vangogh
08-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Oh got'cha. I had been thinking all along you meant you would take orders both online and through a physical store. If the online part of this becomes an issue, you'd probably be fine with a backup solution of some kind. There are plenty of storage options online or you can get an external hard drive or two and back up to them. I know you say you don't want to ever migrate things to a new computer, but unless you never plan on buying a new computer that's probably not 100% realistic. It also gets easier to do each and every year. It's reached the point where you click a few buttons and wait while things transfer.

If what you're looking for is a system where everything is online and you access the system through a browser to input sales and get reports and all that stuff I don't see why you would specifically need a Mac POS. Are you planning on scanning a bar code with a device that automatically sends the info to the system or are you expecting to type in the info with each sale?

Squenz
08-15-2012, 09:18 AM
We have a barcode scanner. I don't really see why I would need pos software specific to Mac, either, but I've been told that the subtle differences in coding makes a difference.
Backups would work, and that's what I do now, unless I have a hardware crash, which is what happens to me now. My PC regularly decides it wants to take the day off. If my POS is web-based, I can grab any available computer and I'm back in business.

connectbiz
09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi Squenz,

I would encourage you to give ConnectBusiness (http://www.connectbizapp.com) a try. We have developed a web based point of sale that works 100% cross platform (Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, iOS, Android, etc.) on almost any browser. We also have a native iPad app if you are interested. Everything is hosted and maintained in the cloud, so you don't have to worry about local installs, storage, and updates.

If you're interested, please shoot me an email at info@connectbiz.me, and I would be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Thank you,

Ben