PDA

View Full Version : Favorite holiday food

KristineS
12-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm nostalgic for holiday treats today, so I thought I'd start a thread about everyone's favorite holiday food.

I love frosted sugar cookies and Chex Mix (homemade). My grandmother used to make what she called Octopuses, which were Chow Mein noodles dipped in chocolate and cooled into a cookie. It sounds odd, but it was yummy.

Grandma also used to make Pluckets, which were rolls with a cinnamon sugar and nut coating. They were baked in a bundt pan and you "plucked" them from the stack to eat them. I have the recipe, but I can't make them like she could.

Those are some of my favorites. What are your favorite holiday goodies?

orion_joel
12-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Doesn't seem that we have any goodies like this going round at my place, we normally just get things like buttered shortbread, and Christmas mix lollies. Although the one thing that my Grandma used to make was the Fruit Mince Pies, they were much better then the shop bought ones.

Business Attorney
12-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Growing up in central Illinois, I would look forward to my Great-Grandmother's mince meat pie at Christmas. She was born in 1889 and still made her pie with meat. I haven't had a real mince meat pie in 40 years, though I have occasionally had a mince meatless pie!

Blessed
12-11-2008, 08:58 AM
monkey bread, Daddy's homemade apple pie, pecan pralines, pumpkin pie, marzipan, homemade chocolate covered mint patties, pecan pie... ok I'd better stop now, I'm not doing any holiday goody making yet!

Aaron Hats
12-11-2008, 09:47 AM
German coffee cake...not like the little Hostess things you get. A cake the size of a round double layered birthday cake. Of course, you then have to dunk it in a big mug of cold milk.