PDA

View Full Version : Tutoring Locations That Are "Middle Ground"

KingHippo
12-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I want to go back into tutoring for some side income. I live near a major university so it will be easy to get business. I'm thinking of offering up to three different tutoring locations. One would be in my home, the second would be in their home and the third would be a common location in town. I'm wondering what would be good "middle ground" / common locations in town. I have a good laptop that I could bring with me. I'm wondering what kind of place would allow for chatter between two people and have wifi support for the laptop. What would you suggest other than a Starbucks?

Steve B
12-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Any of Starbucks competitors. or, how about those book stores that encourage people to hang out? If you don't go during lunch or dinner, maybe McDonalds.

Evan
12-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I'd stick with a library and using a meeting room if you're trying to prevent distractions. I have tried tutoring some of my peers, and I certainly don't think holding it at our university Starbucks was beneficial at all.

And while I did quite well on my exam, they still didn't.

vangogh
12-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I was thinking one of the University buildings. Maybe it's not quite middle ground, but a library like Evan suggests is going to be a good environment for learning.

If it's in the budget you could rent some office space. I'm guessing you wouldn't need the space all the time and could find something available a few hours a night a few nights a week or something like that.

Suzannah
12-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi,

I own a tutoring business and have worked as a private tutor for about eight years.

Before I got office space, I spent several years meeting students at the local Barnes and Nobles all over town. There are a ton of tutors who meet students there. If you go between the hours of 3-7 or so, you will find the cafe and seating areas filled with tutors and their students. It's not quite as loud as Starbucks (where I have also seen many students). The bookstore occasionally gets too loud, but it isn't too bad for the most part.

You also might want to check on Craigslist for people who are looking to share their office during the evening hours and weekends.

Until recently, I also regularly went to people's homes. You will want to consider this carefully, as it considerably adds to your stress, time, and expenses. If you do go to people's houses, make sure you are charging accordingly. You will waste a ton of time in the car driving around (even if you are good about scheduling your appointments together in the same part of town on the same day).

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Suzannah

KristineS
12-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd probably go with the library or student union over a bookstore or coffee shop. That's just my off the cuff feeling though.

It sounds like Suzannah has the experience on this question. She gave a good answer.

billbenson
12-15-2008, 03:12 PM
If what you are tutoring has some community benefit, the library was the first thing that came to mind and might be free.

If it's one on one, hotels such as Marriot courtyards or other similar hotel chains have lobby areas / business centers that are frequently empty after the morning coffee rush. I had to drive my wife to a training class for a couple of weeks about two hours from me. Took my laptop and sat in a hotel breakfast lobby working for two weeks straight. 90% of the time the room was empty. Wouldn't work if you needed to stand up and give a presentation, but for one on one, just look like a business man and nobody will question anything. That doesn't mean suit and tie; business people where blue jeans in a hotel.

One on one, or even a small group looks like a business meeting in a hotel.