PDA

View Full Version : Placement in SERPS

billbenson
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I know this has been answered here before, but how do you find your search results from around the country?

vangogh
08-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I answered your question via email, but figured I'd paste some of what I said for anyone else who might be interested.

If you want to check in different locations one thing you can do is change your location on the results page. You should see your location in the sidebar on the left and you can change it to anything you want.

Here's a post showing How to See Google Search Results for Other Locations (http://www.searchenginejournal.com/how-to-see-google-search-results-for-other-locations/25203/)

I sometimes use the Google AdWords Preview tool (https://adwords.google.com/d/AdPreview/) which also lets you select different locations. It's specifically for ads, but you see the organic results too.

socialme82
08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
^ that is true, and not everything has a local scope so it depends really on what the industry is.

vangogh
08-07-2012, 07:07 PM
True. It depends on the industry and the specific phrases you want to check. Sometimes you want to know more about where a page ranks locally and sometimes it doesn't matter that much.

In general I spend less time now wondering where specific pages rank and am more focused on the overall amount of traffic specific pages pull and specific keyword themes pull.

billbenson
08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I took a look at my searches on awstats as well VG and traffic is pretty normal there as well. I don't know why I didn't just look there first, sometimes you forget to look at the obvious.

vangogh
08-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Yep. That's because it's obvious so you don't even think to check.

I still haven't noticed any significant change in your total traffic. It's possible that certain phrases or themes of phrases were leading to more calls and you lost traffic on those phrases while picking up traffic for other phrases. I have a feeling that's not what's happening though.

Has another site entered the market? Maybe someone new is drawing away customers.

billbenson
08-08-2012, 05:15 PM
I think its either site quality or something seasonal. I was also fairly sick for about a month and didn't get very many quotes out there. Yesterday's quotes are today's orders a lot of the time.

vangogh
08-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Makes sense. It certainly doesn't seem to be the traffic.

socialme82
08-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Another thing to consider rather than worrying so much about a single content page is to actively make regular content updates of around 600 words at a 3% or so keyword density. Use a single article to try to capture a keyword or two that might offer some traffic and also take advantage of internal links. If a tree has enough branches, it is more likely to have a bird land on it.

vangogh
08-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I agree about regularly updating the site, though I don't think you should be concerned with how many words you use on a page and definitely not what the keyword density is. Making use of internal links is a good idea and I like the metaphor of the tree, branches, and bird. :)