PDA

View Full Version : I need information about a design or marketing business!

Jagella
12-09-2008, 09:47 AM
I need information about a Web/graphic design or advertising business for a school assignment. Could any of you business people please answer the following questions?

What software packages does your company use in its production?
What kinds of products do you produce? (Web sites, posters, CD packaging, brochures, flyers, magazine ads, and so on.)
How are ideas for clients developed, that is, what steps or processes are taken? Explain in detail.
Who is involved in creating a profile of each client?
How is the profile used in the creation of new designs? Explain in detail.
What is the production procedure when working on a project?
If you hire workers, what do you look for in your employees?

Thanks!

Jagella

vangogh
12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
1. Photoshop for all my graphics and image editing. I use a variety of code editors and browsers. My main browser is Firefox which serves as much as a development tool as it does a browser. I currently use Thunderbird for managing mail I'm using a version of OpenOffice for the Mac called NeoOffice.

2. Websites. It's not always a product though since part of the work is making changes to existing sites. I do have some ideas for products that I may deliver down the line.

3. Every client is different and so the process changes a little from client to client, but in general I begin by talking to the client and gathering as much information as I can about their business, the goals for their business, their expectations for the site, etc. Next I'll spend some time looking at the industry and the competition in order to see what's being done across most sites and what's not being done. During the information gathering from the client and industry research I'm usually generating ideas for the client's site.

After that it's a bit of the creative and some trial and error. I take some of the ideas I've come up with and just see how they work. Some do, some don't. The ideas that work I try to expand on.

4 and 5? Do you mean profile for my client or a profile for potential visitors to the site?

If it's a client profile I collect the basic contact info. It's not really something I'd call a profile, though. Over time I'll get to know a client better and so have a better idea of what they like and don't like. A very simple example might be a client who can't stand the color red. In that case I'd know o stay away from that color in design. That information isn't really built into a profile. It's more info I carry around with me after getting to know someone.

6. Again procedures change some with each project, but in general it begins with gathering information, followed by generating ideas, and then design/development. Design for me tends to be the typical for creatives I think. I work out some ideas as sketches and then take those sketches into Photoshop. The original Photoshop designs are usually awful or close to awful so I work on something else for a day or two and let my subconscious work on the problem. A couple days later I'll work again on the original design or come up with a new one that turns out more like what I wanted. At that point I'll send off some images to the client for feedback and together we'll refine the design.

Once the design is agreed upon development begins. Generally that means coding a template (or templates) for the site and again showing it (them) to the client for feedback. I tend to further refine the design while developing the template. Once the template is set building the rest of the pages is more on the mechanical side of copying the template and filling in the content.

7. I don't have any employees at the moment. What I would look for though is mostly a desire to learn and improve. I'd want someone dependable, on time, etc. In some cases I might need someone to have a specific skill, but I'd prefer someone willing to learn new skills so they could grow with me.

Hope that helps.

Blessed
12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
1. What software packages does your company use in its production? I use the Adobe Creative Suite - InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop and Illustrator and I also use QuarkXPress

2. What kinds of products do you produce? (Web sites, posters, CD packaging, brochures, flyers, magazine ads, and so on.) Anything print - I've done a lot of direct mail letters and envelopes, fliers, brochures, magazines, newsletters, annual reports, stationary, postcards, CD packaging, ads - newspaper, magazine and direct mail, billboards, posters, ad specialty imprints, t-shirt desings, etc...

3. How are ideas for clients developed, that is, what steps or processes are taken? Explain in detail. Usually the client has an idea of what they want. Always I ask what the goals are for the piece, if we're going to use the same concept in multiple pieces, who the market is, what the product is, what competitors have done that the client likes/doesn't like, if they've seen anything they were really attracted too and etc...

4. Who is involved in creating a profile of each client? - It's a one-woman show around here!

5. How is the profile used in the creation of new designs? Explain in detail. Certain customers are open to new and innovative ideas, others like tried and true standards, some people are stuck with a style they refuse to abandon. Some customers always reject the first idea no matter how good it is, some customers want 15 things to choose from, some people want one or two things to choose from. It's all in getting to learn my client - understand their business, their personality, their willingness to learn and consider new ideas, their openness to other viewpoints and their marketing finesse and expertise

6. What is the production procedure when working on a project? rough ideas and notes, start working on a design and let it develop as we go - keep communication open with the client, get regular feedback and set aside specific time to work on each project

7. If you hire workers, what do you look for in your employees? It will be awhile before I need to think about hiring anyone. but in the past when I was in a position to hire employees - I looked for skills, dependability, willingness to take instruction and personality compatibility with the people they would be working with.

Hope that's helpful - good luck on your project!
Jenn, Owner/Designer/Print Broker/Toilet Bowl Scrubber
Crazy Dog Creative

Jagella
12-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi Steve:

I use OpenOffice for the PC. It's got to be the best value in software because it's free, of course.

I see you use thumbnail sketches. Some designers recommend scribbling away with pencil and paper before touching the computer. That way you can focus on ideas rather than fuss with the software, or so the theory goes. Personally, I think it's a good idea to sketch thumbnails, and I've used that technique successfully in my own work.

I use Web page templates much like you do. That way I can unify the site's design and expedite the work of creating the different pages for the site.

Thanks, Steve.

Jagella

Jagella
12-09-2008, 02:34 PM
QuarkXPress seems to be popular software. I'm using InDesign, which I suppose my school feels is the most commonly used page layout program among professional designers.

I see you do CD printing. I'm working on a DVD packaging project for school. How tricky is it to get the bleed right? My textbook recommends adding .125 inches to each edge of the printable area. Does that sound about right to you?

When you develop ideas, do you sketch thumbnails like Steve and I do? It seems to be an effective way to generate ideas.

Thanks a lot, Jenn.

Jagella

cbscreative
12-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey Joe, how's school going for you? I hope you are still getting A's like before.

What software packages does your company use in its production?
What kinds of products do you produce? (Web sites, posters, CD packaging, brochures, flyers, magazine ads, and so on.)
How are ideas for clients developed, that is, what steps or processes are taken? Explain in detail.
Who is involved in creating a profile of each client?
How is the profile used in the creation of new designs? Explain in detail.
What is the production procedure when working on a project?
If you hire workers, what do you look for in your employees?

1. I use almost everything mainstream: Adobe CS3 Web Premium (Photoshop Extended, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash Pro), CorelDRAW Graphics Suite (many designers shun this one but I like it for many types of work), MS Office Pro, WordPerfect Office Pro.

2. My primary service is web design, but I also provide nearly anything for print or signs. With web design, I do the full package: graphics, coding, writing, animation, etc. I provide logos, flyers, catalogs, greeting cards, you name it. If it can be printed, I can create the art. For signs, I used to produce them, so I know how to create production ready files.

3. My process is pretty much the same as above. I ask questions to get to know the client and their market. I do research as needed. My primary focus is on marketing. I seek to identify a unique aspect of the client to set them apart from their competition. I brainstorm ideas to answer the question, "Why should the customer buy from this client?" This requires creativity, there is no particular formula or one fits all process.

4. Like those above, I am usually it in the entire process. I also don't use any formal "profile" but as I work for a new client, we get to know each other very well, and a second project is almost always easier than a first project.

5. I keep very good notes of anything I believe to be important for future dealings with each client, but I rely most heavily on memory. If I were part of a larger agency, this question would have much greater application. Us small, independent designers don't have departments. Clients are dealing with the same person through every stage, so we don't have to worry about communication breakdown. When I do need outside services, I still have my knowledge to guide a subcontractor.

6. The procedures vary with each project. Since my primary service is web design, it usually goes something like this: Gathering of information, asking questions, research, brainstorming, etc. If I need materials from the client, I obtain those too. During each communication with the client, I am learning from them so I can create the content that will be needed. I usually ask for some sites that they like, don't like, what they like or don't like, and anything they are aware of that they require for their site to have. Once I am ready to actually start the design process, I begin creating mock-ups of look and feel which are emailed in PDF for feedback. When we have a design that everyone is happy with, I begin building the actual Home page, then test and troubleshoot it. Only when the Home page is pretty much perfect do I move on the the other pages because it serves as a "template" for the rest of the site. When the finished site is ready, it is launched live on the Internet. This is a very abbreviated outline, but it covers the main points of the process for a web design. A logo process would be very different.

7. Like the others, I am not hiring, but when I look for other people to work with, I need them to be highly skilled, and reliability is a very big issue. Attitude is even more important than skill. Skill can be developed, and will be if the person has the right attitude. Success in this business is only truly achieved when you help others succeed. Anyone can be a designer. Being a business builder is different.

Joe, your questions require a lot of information. Where do you want me to send the bill? :)

Jagella
12-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Steve:

School's generally going very well although my courses are getting a lot tougher lately. I'm getting straight A's, and I even managed a perfect score in at least one of my classes. But as we both know, what really matters is the money, and my score there is anything but perfect. There's always time for that, though.

I'm with you and won't “shun” software offered by smaller developers. After all, there are software companies aside from Microsoft and Adobe.

I see you do animation too. I tried to install my copy of Flash CS3, but it wouldn't install. I'll have to try calling my school's technical support. Do you know Adobe's technical support number?

I've noticed that a lot of us focus on the client while we develop concepts. Is the target audience a consideration as well?

That's it for now, Steve. I thought about “the bill,” but this forum is free, is it not?

Thanks!

Jagella

vangogh
12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Joe my sketching is usually with pen/pencil and paper. I don't sketch anything elaborate, but like to sketch the basic layout with an idea of where various design elements will go. For example I'll sketch a box for the main content area, maybe one where the logo will go. Things like that. Very basic, but it gives me a good idea of how I want the design to look.

While working my design changes a lot, though more often than not the layout in the original sketch is recognizable at the end.

Jagella
12-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Joe my sketching is usually with pen/pencil and paper. I don't sketch anything elaborate, but like to sketch the basic layout with an idea of where various design elements will go. For example I'll sketch a box for the main content area, maybe one where the logo will go. Things like that. Very basic, but it gives me a good idea of how I want the design to look.

While working my design changes a lot, though more often than not the layout in the original sketch is recognizable at the end.

Steve, my approach is to start the sketching with the simplest, most obvious design. Often I'll just put the type in to begin. As I progress, I add images and experiment with the type and its justification and rotation. It's a good idea to try different grids too, but I often just “assume” a grid placing forms in rows and columns. It's a technique that I need to practice more and make more of a habit. It wasn't that long ago that I would go straight to Photoshop and start slapping text and images onto that white rectangle. I still do if I'm in a hurry or want to do something that's not terribly important.

Jagella

vangogh
12-10-2008, 12:05 AM
I think I do the same or similar. Starting with a rudimentary sketch of the basic layout and then start fleshing out the details. I used to go straight to Photoshop too, but it saves so much time to sketch a little first.

I have a tendency to refine designs while coding. I come to web design as a coder and sometimes it's easier for me to know how to make something look the way I want in code than it is to get it looking the way I want with Photoshop. I've actually designed a few sites with a simple coded shell for the layout and then designed the whole thing as I coded it.

Jagella
12-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I have a tendency to refine designs while coding. I come to web design as a coder and sometimes it's easier for me to know how to make something look the way I want in code than it is to get it looking the way I want with Photoshop. I've actually designed a few sites with a simple coded shell for the layout and then designed the whole thing as I coded it.

That's interesting. Is it safe to assume that you don't normally create mockups when designing Web pages?

Jagella

vangogh
12-10-2008, 10:57 AM
I generally don't. They really aren't necessary for my client's or their sites. Mockups make sense if the project is large enough, but for a smaller project I think they just add another layer of work that someone is going to have to pay for.

cbscreative
12-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Joe, I don't know the Adobe tech support # but it should be on their web site. I would think you could open a support ticket through the site too and hopefully they can resolve the problem that way. Perhaps you could install a trial download from Adobe and then use the product key from your package to register it. If your copy is part of a Suite, I'm not sure if that would work or not, but their support people should be able to help with that.

As for this site being free, yes, and we want it to be useful too.